Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • 70% increase on wife's car insurance
  • Harry_the_Spider

Eh?

Another year’s no claims. Car now kept on drive. 70% more.

If this was France I would riot.

woody2000

Take your business elsewhere?

lunge

Is that the renewal cost? Is so then ignore it and shop around, my renewal with a mikey take.

Harry_the_Spider

Ruining the afternoon with various insurance sites as we speak. Robbing b’stards.

robbo1234biking

We only managed to get £20 of this year taking it down to £200.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Try esure they were the cheapest by miles for me.

robbo1234biking

Think my mrs went through Diamond (is that the woman specific one?) Includes handbag cover!

jwt
    Free Member

Check the Money saving expert site for his current favourite comparison sites, and ‘do’ them all, then see if the cheapest have any ‘quidco’ cash back deals.
    Takes a while , but I halved my quote/premium and got *£34 cash back as well.

* hasn’t turned up yet but can take 6 weeks…….

cinnamon_girl

Renewed mine recently and was shocked at the increase. Maximum no claims for donkey’s years and a dull small engined car.

I also got on-line quotes as well as using comparison sites. Read the small print carefully! I was shocked at the excess that some insurance companies proposed – £400 anyone?

Edit: please – no trouble-making about women drivers! 🙄 Men will be affected too.

terrahawk
    Free Member

you moved eastside, remember?

iain1775
    Free Member

sounds silly but check her job title the insurance company have
    I changed mine (still reflecting what I do) and the premium dropped £40 just like that!
    After searching internet and ringing my insurance company up twice I eventually saved £98 on the initial price they quoted me and the wife (we have Admiral multicar policy) and that was then just about the cheapest I could find anywhere

edhornby

insurance companies will bump the renewal hard if it thinks you won’t bother to shop around, if you’ve been with the same person for a couple of years they will test your resolve

I know people who have done all the comparators and found that a new policy number with the same provider is cheaper than renewal on the existing policy number!! reason being that encouraging people to use the web only and not phone them is cheaper

lipseal
    Free Member

Direct line been the cheapest I’ve seen.

stumpy01

mileage changed? address? job title?

I went with Aviva this year who aren’t on comparison sites (I don’t think).
    They were loads cheaper than any other quote.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Yep, mine doubled this year, told them I’d go elsewhere, they reduced it by £20. I went elsewhere and found it for half their renewal. Shop around.

LeeW

My renewal has gone up 50% this year too, tried all the comparison sites and couldn’t get a noticably better deal elsewhere. It’s gone blumming ridiculous.

petrieboy

Just insured mrs petrieboys car with admiral (which is diamond and elephant too). Told them the car was parked over night in the garage (which it usually is) but the helpful chap I spoke to told me it would be £40 cheaper if it was parked on the road!!!! My SP50 saved another £20 also. Mental!!

RS4KEV

Same problems (£480 for wife’s 5 yr old Polo!) – shopped around and setlled at £190 with Hastings

Seems to vary on the car, my popular BMW miles cheaper with Aviva

john_drummer
    Free Member

Direct line been the cheapest I’ve seen

it’s been a long long time since DL were the cheapest I could find.

+1 Shop around.

I was with Swinton, my renewal would have taken my monthly premium up from £28 to over £40 if I didn’t do anything about it. I shopped around, found a deal with AXA which worked out at about £25 a month.

Something else I found when shopping around, which might be worth noting – if I just had me on the policy, it was substantially more expensive than if I added Mrs_d to the policy, despite the fact that I’ve been driving 10 years longer than her.

Job Title does make a difference too – I’m a computer programmer, she’s a civil servant.
    Some companies will not insure people in the entertainment industries (no, I don’t count myself, for me it’s a hobby, not a job), others won’t touch sports people.

wait4me

I still had the search results from last years comparison sites when I came to renew recently. Gone up £100 in 12 months and I’ve declared less miles. No accidents/convictions etc. It’s criminal I reckon. I thought the sole thing good about hitting 40 was cheaper insurance…appears I was wrong.

boxelder

Try Brentacre in swansea – real people and £180 cheaper for my wifes (compared to Tesco)

juan
    Free Member

I am amazed that the job title can have an effect on the price of your car insurance.

kaesae
    Free Member

Insurance companies are complete scum, just like those brain farting wind bags in the judicial system that enforce the law.

You can’t drive without insurance, but you can’t get a fair deal anywhere, as the insurance companies control the market 😯

Harry_the_Spider

My wife is a librarian, she drives a Ford Fusion, does 500 miles a year, parks it on the drive, only 1 year NCD, never had a bump or points. She was quoted £900 give or take a few quid!

Found one £300 cheaper. Still looking.

Spongebob
    Free Member

I went with Aviva this year who aren’t on comparison sites (I don’t think).
    They were loads cheaper than any other quote.

I often wonder if anyone ever finds them cheaper, coz in my experience, they are ALWAYS much more expensive than any quote i can find through various sources.

Perhaps they don’t like low risk area, middle aged, low annual mileage drivers with clean licenses and clean driving history! 😯

BigM
    Free Member

I work for an insurance company, we all just sit there and laugh at the prices we charge punters whilst sipping champagne 🙄

Actually most insurance companies don’t make that much money from motor insurance, there are a considerable amount of claims out there to be paid for and remember the insurance companies also plough cash into a fund to cover incidents where drivers are uninsured. So if more people paid for insurance and less crashed it’d be alot cheaper.

Harry_the_Spider

One lot won’t insure me as a second driver. I’ve had one bump and no points in 24 years. Gah.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I went with Aviva this time on my wife’s passat, they were stupid cheap, to the point I had to call them & confirm all the details were correct. They quoted £224 for me & the wife on a 08 passast diesel 170 sport, balmy, VW quoted £1600!

Anyway, my brother is a broker, he reckons things have/will go up 40%, someone has to pay for all the tossers that have been claiming whiplash compensation after a 5mph shunt! We had a guy on a test drive nudge the rear bumper of an old Mondeo worth about a hundred pounds, he claimed & got £7k despite us taking pictures of the lack of damage to our car & telling our insurance co it was fraud.

I once had a (makes no difference) person drive into the side of me in stationary traffic, admit liability, then later try & claim it was my fault & claim for injury

What goes around comes around, suck it up chaps 🙁

donsimon
    Free Member

I have been for Direct Line for a few years and every year we go through the same game. The send me the renewal cost and I balk. I will give them a significantly lower and demonstrable price which I’ve taken from another company, they balk. I simply let them know I’m moving to the new, cheaper company and they drop the price.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘70% increase on wife's car insurance’ is closed to new replies.