Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • 70 degree headtube, what travel forks?? / and a lickle BB Question
  • chrisjnr
    Free Member

Just bought myself a knackered old 2002 Rockhopper and after a bit of digging I find that it has a 70° headtube, what sort of travel forks should I be looking at?

Also it came with an old FSA V Drive Xtreme crankset which I need to take out in order to replace the creaking BB…

I haven’t exactly found out which BB It has/requires from what I can see there is a litlle square in the centre of the crank arm.

Also which removal tool shall I buy??

Would appreciate the help… First time building 😛

mrmo
    Free Member

try 100mm as a starter,

as for the BB sounds like a traditional square taper, all you need is a crank puller.

something like this

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=38068

ampthill

I’d try the travel of forks it came with. But 100mm will probably work whatever

mrmo
    Free Member

just thought, i don’t know if you are aware, and from your questions i am assuming not, square taper bottom brackets came in a number of different lengths they also suit different bb shell widths, so if you have to buy a new one, get the right one

cynic-al
    Free Member

MEasure the forks on it axle to crown and if they’re about 420mm then a 100mm fork will work.

If the BB creaks it doesn’t mean it’s worn or needs replaced. Take it out and re fit with grease. If it is worn then get the right axle and shell length-prob 110/73

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘70 degree headtube, what travel forks?? / and a lickle BB Question’ is closed to new replies.