Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • 7 ways to be insufferable on here…
  • CountZero

I do see your point about informal communication, but I have actually seen ‘should of’ on more ‘formal’ things like CVs. Maybe if someone had corrected them informally (when the only consequence is embarassment if it is felt at all), then perhaps they would be perceived in a better light. Or are we to take potential loss of face as a reason not to teach things in the first place (and I realise you shouldn’t start a sentence with ‘Or’ before you mention it – I am just being informal)?

Who are you? My mum?
    Actually, no; she’s been dead for nearly two years, so I don’t have to pay attention then. ‘Loss of face’? Crikey, that’s such an Eastern concept, something we’re really not too bothered with.

All that inane horseshit entering your skull all the time can’t be good.

Good thing I don’t let it, then!

Junkyard
    Free Member

The ignorance of others is no excuse for dumbing down, I’m afraid.

Wow I wish I could be just like you. Actually on second thoughts i will opt not to be condescending. Still at least your grammars impeccable if not your character 😉

It really depends on the scenario tbh but I have rarely seen it be done helpfully or sympathetically on the internet as a way to help someone express their views with clarity.
    Its either to be funny or to be a smartarse

dannyh
    Free Member

Some very strange non-sequitur comments there.

I’m still trying to figure out why some people think it is an aggressive act to correct others when they make mistakes that might lead to them being thought of as uneducated in a more formal setting.

Chips on shoulders, perhaps?

For the record, I don’t mind at all being picked up on lapses by others. You learn something new every day, or so they say. You don’t learn much if you just insult people who may end up helping you.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Jamie
    Free Member

Post on every thread you possibly can, copy and paste lots with replies picking on any minute mistake or ambiguous comment you can find, Google items then reword them so you look intelligent in your response, repeat until the thread is closed or everyone else gets bored.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I didn’t read any of this thread, I just looked for Jamie’s posts and was upset he didn’t carry on.

But wait as I get right to the bottom there he is again and that made me smile.

In the words of Alan Partridge “ahhhhhhhh”.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I’m still trying to figure out why some people think it is an aggressive act to correct others when they make mistakes that might lead to them being thought of as uneducated in a more formal setting.

I think it the bit where you think of them as uneducated that they object to even though you should of [ hehe] know what they did meant innit.

Chips on shoulders, perhaps?

lolz at the irony

I don’t mind at all being picked up on lapses

Indeed you do seem to be taking the criticism here rather well 😛

Its about setting in the main and as I said i rarely see it done on the internet as a charitable act to educate. This was no exception in the main though it may be better meant if not executed.

theocb
    Free Member

@dannyh. It isn’t the done thing to correct people in public unless it is of significant importance to all those concerned.
    Hopefully you’re teaching your 8 year old some good social skills to go with that superb grammar of yours 😉

dannyh
    Free Member

You need to read posts more closely – I was referring to my manager’s eight year old. My daughter is five and I have, I hope, been teaching her some good character traits such as humility and honesty.

Interestingly one of the ways I think I have taught her is as follows. When she picks me up on things I have got wrong or forgotten, which she does quite often because she seems to have a very good memory, I don’t immediately say ‘shut up you smart-arse’. Instead I tend to compliment her on remembering, and I apologise for being wrong. If, however, she then says something triumphant about proving others wrong, I do say ‘it is not nice to do that, even if you are right’.

On the other hand, when she is being mardy and unreasonable, such as a recent incident when she threw a tantrum about not winning a prize, I tell her off. I also try to get across why I am telling her off.

My son is two. We are at the ‘it is not nice to throw wooden toys at your sister’ stage of character forming, so it is too early to tell!

theocb
    Free Member

@dannyh. It isn’t the done thing to correct people in public unless it is of significant importance to all those concerned.
    Hopefully you’re teaching your youngsters some good social skills to go with that superb grammar of yours 😉

Now corrected. Sorry for the mistake.

Are you planning on teaching your children that it is not polite to publicly correct strangers when it has very little significance?

dannyh
    Free Member

Yes – I think a sense of proportion when it comes to these things is evolving in my kids. I doubt that they would do this to an adult anyway as respect for elders is also something that I hope I am instilling. That’s ‘respect for’, though, not ‘blind obedience to and fear of correcting if it is important’.

In the realms of STW and my ‘involvement’ in it, I admit that I have occasionally used pedantry about grammar and spelling as a barb. This is usually when someone is spouting off all sorts of crap whilst trying (and failing) to use big words or complex language. To my mind, this is covered under the notion of not taking yourself too seriously (as an awful lot of people on here seem to do – even when espousing bat-sh1t crazy tripe).

Back on topic. I don’t think it is acceptable to cow people into not pointing out errors purely on the grounds of ‘manners’. Obviously discretion should be used, but I have found that ‘manners’ are quite often hidden behind by people who don’t like being questioned.

Anyway, enough now. I had a cracking nightride last night, but for some reason the knuckle of the ring finger of my right hand has nearly doubled in size and is hurting. I don’t remember knocking it.

Swings and roundabouts – this is primarily a bike forum after all. 😐

nedrapier

It’s spelt “shit”.

dannyh
    Free Member

(Doffs hat).

Although I did think the pre-emptive swear filter bleeped that one out.

Anyway no one noticed my (not at all) deliberate mistake when I misspelled ’embarrassment’ in an earlier post.

(Tuts loudly and goes off to carry on cooking the dinner).

nedrapier

So you were attempting to avoid the swear filter?! Ummmmmm!

Best to type out your swears in full, else you might end up banned.

I suppose, technically, moderating your language is swear-filter avoidance?

nedrapier

I’ve just learnt a very STW-specific autocorrect! Every day’s a school day.

dannyh
    Free Member

You mean you aren’t foaming at the mouth and immediately emailing singletrack towers about being censored?!

Jamie
    Free Member

Post on every thread you possibly can, copy and paste lots with replies picking on any minute mistake or ambiguous comment you can find, Google items then reword them so you look intelligent in your response, repeat until the thread is closed or everyone else gets bored.

nedrapier

Nope, it’s just a specific spelling of a specific word, lest the spirit of he-who-shall-not-be-named be conjured.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I know then banned banned

dannyh
    Free Member

I think I may be out of my depth now. I honestly haven’t the first clue what you are on about!

That is not a trailing leg by the way, I really don’t know!

piemonster

aracer
    Free Member

I’m waiting for the mods to set up a new auto-correct just for Jamie.

Junkyard
    Free Member

A certain poster used to spell th eword banned a novel way and it auto corrects it is you try just as it does with I N * R ATS
    see below
    I struggle with long sentences

aracer
    Free Member

The other one I know of is: I?TL

I have no useful contribution to make

Oh, and of course something northerners say

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘7 ways to be insufferable on here…’ is closed to new replies.