Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • 7 ways to be insufferable on here…
  • Klunk
    Free Member

actually it’s facebook but works for life in general 😉

camo16
    Free Member

It’s funny cos it’s true. 😀

I wish the guy hadn’t written ‘unannoying’ several times, though. What an insufferable faux anti intellectual conceit! 😉

Drac

Post on every thread you possibly can, copy and paste lots with replies picking on any minute mistake or ambiguous comment you can find, Google items then reword them so you look intelligent in your response, repeat until the thread is closed or everyone else gets bored.

aracer
    Free Member

Hmm – I see plenty of posts like that on FB and don’t find them all that annoying. Maybe it’s because I don’t have 800 FB friends (the ones I do have might not be all that close, but do actually like seeing that they’re having fun or doing well).

Jamie
    Free Member

Post on every thread you possibly can, copy and paste lots with replies picking on any minute mistake or ambiguous comment you can find, Google items then reword them so you look intelligent in your response, repeat until the thread is closed or everyone else gets bored.

Drac

Jamie you forgot to put it in quotes and pick up on my Grammar.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Grammar.

No need for a capital letter there.

Oh. Erm.

😳

Jamie
    Free Member

Junkyard
    Free Member

In this spirit of this thread i chose to not read the link and resisted copy and pasting. From what I understand you dont like everyone on the internet. Furthermore its ok to mock them though as that makes you the awesomes and them the losers
    WORD

DezB
    Free Member

I got as far as A Facebook status is annoying if it primarily serves the author and does nothing positive for anyone reading it.

Isn’t that the case with EVERY Facebook status?

wilko1999
    Free Member

They forgot to mention the ‘look how amazing and advanced my kids are’ category. To be fair I get constantly annoyed by some of the inane bullsh1t that people post up on FB, plus the constant far-too-personal life updates, cliff-hanger statuses etc. but it wouldn’t be a very interesting website if those people didn’t bother posting 🙂

camo16
    Free Member

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

Isaac Asimov

🙂

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Hmm – I see plenty of posts like that on FB and don’t find them all that annoying. Maybe it’s because I don’t have 800 FB friends (the ones I do have might not be all that close, but do actually like seeing that they’re having fun or doing well).

^^^THIS is how to be insufferable on here: Pure, unadulterated smug self-righteousness… I hope it was deliberate aracer!

If not, soz 😉

leffeboy

I got as far as A Facebook status is annoying if it primarily serves the author and does nothing positive for anyone reading it.

Isn’t that the case with EVERY Facebook status?

I think it’s also the point of facebook. I don’t go to facebook to be educated or inspired, I use it to catch up with what people I don’t see regularly are up to. Twitter is for words of wisdom. I’m happy to see people doing well, they don’t need to make excuses or parcel it up differently

bigyinn
    Free Member

There are a number of people on my FB feed who I’ve now removed as I cant be bothered their smug crap. Oooh had a great week in Dubai with my hubbie. Thanks mum and dad for looking after the kids for a week.
    That just rubs peoples noses in it and says their happiness is more important than their kids.
    Im naturally hateful so people like that just piss me off further. Why are they still my friend on FB? I really dont know, probably just cant be arsed.

IanW
    Free Member

We havent set foot on the moon for 40 years, still have to start fights in the middle east to make our cars go(which also do not fly as promised) and our food is shite.

But we are great at social media analysis..briliant, hope thats broke a few rules which I CBA reading.

Rockape63
    Free Member

All of this confirms to me that I was right NEVER to have signed up to FB. One day Historians will look back at FB and Twatter and confirm that it was a sorry period in human history!

DezB
    Free Member

One day Historians will look back at FB and Twatter and confirm that it was a sorry period in human history!

but how will they communicate this information to the masses?

jekkyl

*updates fb*
    ‘Just reading a cyling forum, what a load of self righteous argumentative twunts there are on there.’

DrJ

“says their happiness is more important than their kids.”

Eh? People with kids have to spend their entire lives devoted to serving them?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Their kids are 8-12
    *edit* See jekkyl’s post as well.

dannyh
    Free Member

I have to take issue with

picking on any minute mistake or ambiguous comment

Seeing as how this is not a face-to-face way of interacting with others, I do think you have to ensure you are precise in what you type (unless, of course, you are being deliberately ambiguous). Otherwise your words are liable to be misunderstood.

Unfortunately for people who don’t like being corrected, grammar can also be part of this as it changes the meaning of what is written. Often, it is obvious that it is a mistake, but sometimes it is not.

An example. People who actually write ‘should of’ instead of ‘should have’, ought to be corrected. If they wrote this in a personal statement, say, for a job interview, then they may well have their application binned.

The teacher of my manager’s eight year old son wrote ‘should of’ on one of his pieces of work when meaning ‘should have’. The eight year old spotted this (as an eight year old should). The net effect is a slightly diminished authority on the part of the teacher.

Anyway, if that is insufferable, then I think the issue lies with the person who finds it so (flounce).

rogg
    Free Member

Often, it is obvious that it is a mistake, but sometimes it is not.

I think you’ll find there is no need for a comma after ‘Often’.

You’re welcome.

nedrapier

And that’s why insufferable Facebook behavior will never go away — there’s no dislike button or eye-roll button or middle finger button on Facebook, and it’s bad form to be too much of a dick in the comments below a status. So annoying statuses are just positively reinforced, and people remain un-self-aware that they regularly bring down the quality of everyone else’s life.

Happily, that’s not such an issue on here!

Kryton57

Drac – Moderator
    picking on any minute mistake or ambiguous comment you can find

Could you be more specific?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Otherwise your words are liable to be misunderstood.

That is almost always BS. It is not because you get confused about the meaning when someone writes should of

Unfortunately for people who don’t like being corrected,

I think they dont care about grammar as much as you and find the way its done “oooh I am so big and clever and you are stupid ” that they object to.

Unless i am very much mistaken FB is not a job application and you should of [hehe] learnt to chill about informal methods of communication.

wonder show many insu

Jamie
    Free Member

Junkyard
    Free Member

Just like cycling you cannot stop can you 😉

TuckerUK
    Free Member

I think you’ll find there is no need for a comma after ‘Often’.

You’re welcome.

The author of the sentence obviously wanted to emphasis a pause after ‘Often’.

Easy beginner’s mistake. I’m not expert at any foreign languages myself, so far be for me to criticise.

brakes
    Free Member

you can take people off your feed on Facebook by hiding their posts, rather than un-friending them.
    I did this with one particularly omnipresent friend whose posts made up 63% of my news feed.

dannyh
    Free Member

I think they dont care about grammar as much as you and find the way its done “oooh I am so big and clever and you are stupid ” that they object to.

That should be ‘dont’ and ‘way its done’ by the way………

I do see your point about informal communication, but I have actually seen ‘should of’ on more ‘formal’ things like CVs. Maybe if someone had corrected them informally (when the only consequence is embarassment if it is felt at all), then perhaps they would be perceived in a better light. Or are we to take potential loss of face as a reason not to teach things in the first place (and I realise you shouldn’t start a sentence with ‘Or’ before you mention it – I am just being informal)?

The ignorance of others is no excuse for dumbing down, I’m afraid.

Drac

And there we go.

brakes
    Free Member

I’d hide your posts if you were my friend on Facebook #yawn

dannyh
    Free Member

One day, just before publishing his seminal work on relativity, Einstein thought to himself “oh, wait a minute, this is full of difficult to understand concepts and it challenges generally accepted wisdom”.

So he didn’t bother because he didn’t want to hurt other people’s feelings.

FFS.

(I am not comparing myself to Einstein before you fry me, I am just making the point that dumbing down to avoid loss of face for others is daft).

aracer
    Free Member

I defriended Einstein.

kudos100
    Free Member

Some people on STW take being insufferable to whole new levels.

At least on facebook, you can block people who spout total shite. On here you get people who talk complete horseshit for YEARS before getting banned or leaving.

Good job the classifieds are decent 😉

nedrapier

We’re lucky to speak a language which has grown without the shackles of an educated elite trying to preserve its integrity – English was always the lay language, not the language of court, or science or the church. The consequence is a democratised language, largely free from unnecessary complications like gender, relatively simple tenses and verb structure (splelling’s another topic).

Because it’s been corrupted and simplified, had the edges knocked off it, it’s easily learnt and adapted, and arguably the most successful language in the world. Roll with it.

And turning the world on its head with a new vision of how the universe operates is one thing, pulling people up on grammar on informal social media is another.

jambourgie
    Free Member

I recently permanently deleted my Facebook account after six years. I can’t recommend it highly enough. The sense of peace after it’s gone is exhilarating. It was the same when I got rid of my TV in 2005. All that inane horseshit entering your skull all the time can’t be good.

Before I permanently deleted it I opted to download all my info. It was quite an eye opener to see this graphics-free list of your entire history for the last six years. Friends, Family members, ex girlfriends, groups associated with etc. Call me a tinfoil-hat wearing paranoid but it was all a bit ‘1984’.

brakes
    Free Member

Because it’s been corrupted and simplified, had the edges knocked off it, it’s easily learnt and adapted, and arguably the most successful language in the world. Roll with it.

for these reasons it is ambiguous and therefore open to interpretation… which has its merits and pitfalls

MussEd
    Free Member

There are a number of people on my FB feed who I’ve now removed as I cant be bothered their smug crap. Oooh had a great week in Dubai with my hubbie. Thanks mum and dad for looking after the kids for a week.

Are we friends on FB Bigyinn? But seriously, Dubai was totes,totes,totes shamazeballls! Luv, luv, luv it!!!! Lolz

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘7 ways to be insufferable on here…’ is closed to new replies.