Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • 7 Stanes (Glentress and Kirroutree) Then where too?
  • DWT
    Free Member

Right in a couple of weeks myself and a friend are travelling up to ride some of the seven stanes (travelling from South Wales). We were thinking of travelling up on the friday, riding Sat/Sun, travelling back some of the journey Sun evening and riding where we stop on the Monday before driving home in the night.

I was just looking for some ideas as to where to stop on the Sunday night for MOndays riding. I was thinking either Lake or Peak district? Any suggestion of good trails? Or any other places along the way from Seven Stanes to S.Wales?

Looking for Afan type, good single track stuff for the Monday.

Any help would be great as im lost on the destination for that final night / ride.

Johnbot
    Free Member

Get yourself to innerleithen while your at GT, its only 6 miles away, great trails

Trekster

Have you had a look at Stanes site re distances and time travelling?

Not sure how long it takes you to get to around the Manchester area but from there it is approx 3hrs to Dumfries.
    From Dumfries to Kirroughtree it is 1hr.
    From Dumfries to Mabie, Ae or Dalbeattie is approx 1/2hr.
    From Dumfries to Drumlanrigg is 1/2-3/4hr.
    From Dumfries to GT/Inners is 1.1/2hrs via Moffat/Beeftub Rd.
    From Moffat(just off 75)it is 1hr to GT/Inners.

Look at the map and you will see that Dumfries has the biggest concentration of Stanes trails.

On the way home?
    Can you read a map?

Anything from sfb`s Bogtrotters route list;
    sfb Bogtrotters routes

Peaks is good. Google for Ladybower routes;
    eg http://www.flattyresmtbroutes.com/LadybowerloopII.html

Can struggle to get a 1 night B&B in the Lakes;
    Could try the hostel at Keswick and get some route info and maps at Keswick Mountain Bikes;
    http://www.vividevents.co.uk/Accommodation%20Main%20Page.htm

Alternatively stay at Maggs Howe on that link and look in at Wheelbase in Staveley for maps and info.

DWT
    Free Member

Yes no problems with map reading as do a lot of riding in the Beacons where it is pretty essential.

Travel time from S.Wales will prob take about 8 hours with traffic. So We will take the friday to travel up. We were thinking of basing ourselves in peebles (close to glentress) then travelling to Kirroughtree for a days riding.

Will have a look at sfb Bogtrotters routes now.

Johnbot – planning to spend an evening there on one of the glentress days.

Thanks both for your help so far.

belgianbob

While you're passing, it might be rude not to pop in at Ae and hoon round the trail there. Worth a diversion, as you're clearly not anti trail centres, and definitely good fun.

DWT
    Free Member

Will have a look at that too belgianbob.

coogan
    Free Member

Be rude and miss Ae, it's guff.

seany_e_boy
    Free Member

If you can stay in the lakes a place called Whinlatter (not sure if thats the right spelling)is worth a ride. Some quality views on the three routes there. Very Manufactured trails though. We did that last year on the way back from Scotland.

Not been to Afan so cant compare. Worth doing though if your driving past it.

NickScots
    Free Member

I would stay near Mabie or Dalbeattie, do GT black/red one day. Back down to Base then do the rest the next.

Basing in Peebles/Glentress will add a lot of travel time.

Nick

MarkN
    Free Member

Whinlatter & or Grizedale for a quick trail centre blast.

DWT
    Free Member

NickScots – Looking at the map Mabie or Dalbeattie look better bases. Can anyone recommend camping in these areas? Which out of the two are best for this (with a little bit of evening entertainment pubs etc.)

Will have a look at Whinlatter & or Grizedale for a quick blast / stop off on the way back down.

seany_e_boy
    Free Member

Dalbeattie is probably the most isolated place in the world. We stayed there 2 years ago and ended up going to bed about 8 as there was nothing to do.

For Mabie, Dumfries is just a few miles away. Fairly decent sized town with quite a few pubs.

Didnt camp though.

Northwind

Unless you have time to do Mabie, Drumlanrig, all the trails at Glentress, and Innerleithen, at least 10 times each, don't go to Ae. It's not terrible, it's just not anything like as good as the others. If you moved it to Carron Valley it'd be worthwhile but I think you've got to be a little bit damaged in the brain to choose to ride there over Mabie, Kirroughtree and Drum to name just 3 within easy distance.

Diane
    Free Member

Like Trekster mentioned for the Monday don't waste it on Grizedale/Whinlatter – do a natural ride – the Bogtrotters know their stuff – there are some awesome rides in Peaks / Lakes

nosedive
    Free Member

Ive done this trip a couple of times, though not from as far as you are travelling. For my money I would stay the Sunday night in Scotland, maybe at Kipford holiday park. It is right on the trail at dalbeattie, you could get up and knock it out before you drive home

Trekster

coogan – Member
    Be rude and miss Ae, it's guff.

Boll%&£s. Having met and ridden with some Welsh guys they rated Ae just as good if not better than some of the trails down there. Granted if you know the trail you can get more out of it but having spent a bit of time in the shop last summer I can honestly say more riders liked it than disliked. Rob & Steve did a survey due to all the negative guff on here and took this to FE. A trail maint group has been set up and the issues are being worked through.
    As most people know by now there is to be no more new trails built which is unfortunate especially for Ae.

Camping;

Kipford

Gorsebank

Beeswing

Creetown nr Kirry and Newton Stewart

http://www.mabiehousehotel.co.uk/continental-camping-huts-c23.html

Cheers Di, must make an effort to get over your way sometime 😀

Xylene
    Free Member

Try Craik Forest red run on the way from Newcastleton to Glentress/Inverlethian

Northwind

Kielder is well worth visiting on the way up, IMO the deadwater trail is one of the better trails out there, sadly a bit overlooked because it's in the middle of nowhere.

No offence to the attempt to improve Ae, but I think the basic trail layout is fairly poorly conceived, too many of the descents fundamentally lack descent. Altitude gets thrown away in some sections and rationed in others so you end up pedalling like mad down some bits to get them to work while others just pour away your hard work in seconds. Some bits are really, really good but they're spread out and linked by too much dead trail.

Trekster

Agree to some extent Northwind but need to know and understand the politics of what happened to that route. A good 25% or more of the "original" planned route dissapeared due to cost cutting. The Edge and Omega Man nearly did nt happen.
    Just imagine what it would have been like then.
    It would be great if you could just put trails here, there and everywhere, but thats not the way it happens.

The route was, for want of a better word, designed, 10yrs ago. There is a lot more trailbuilding understanding now thatn then

If the same resources could be found the way GT seems to then I am sure the trail would/will be much better.
    After all the Area/District Office is at the trail head ❗

hels
    Free Member

I would second that Ae isn't worth a look if you are pushed for time (sorry Trekster).

Also, Peebles is quite a long way from Kirroughtree, and not even a very interesting drive once you have passed Moffat. I would visit Drumlanrig and Mabie and Dalbeattie before bothering, IMHO K'tree well over-rated especially when you factor in how much riding time is soaked up by the boring drive.

Trekster

hels – Member
    I would second that Ae isn't worth a look if you are pushed for time (sorry Trekster).

Nae bother 😉
    We are all entitled to an opinion. Rather people went and formed their own. Fortunately there are 100s/1000s who do not use forums such as this.
    If we all want trailhead shops and cafes then it is not good for them if we slag trails off to the general masses. Send your comments to FE via the web site. The more who do that may help the rest.
    I remember twice in the past when Mabie almost came to a standstill due to how powerfull/detructive this forum can be in that footfall/rider usage dropped to almost silch. FE heeded what was being said and repared all the dodgy bits. They do monitor these forums but maybe not in a position do do much nowadays with the lack of cash. The prioriy atm is to maintain/enhance 😉 what is already there

eg I live just over the 1hr from GT and have not been for 18mths or so.
    Why, done it so often inc long before it was a Stane. I am also about the same distance/time away from the Lakes and Howgills.
    Last night took some "youngsters" on a ride from my house which they never knew existed. That is a problem with the "newer" generation of mtbers, lack of adventure.imo ofcourse.

Could say I am spoilt for choice 😆

angryratio
    Free Member

Stay at Malthrone in Mabie forest.. up the fire road.
    cheapish and no nonsense.

Bunkhouse /camping

hels
    Free Member

Trekster

I think it is well established that t'internet is a medium for the petty and ill-informed views of the great unwashed. That is certainly all I am offering.

We are all quick to announce bad experiences with shops, BT etc. Why should we hold back our opinions on trail centres.

I think Drumlanrig is awesome, I think Ae blows, and wouldn't waste my petrol on driving to K'tree. Also wouldn't pay too much attention to what people say on forums, there are plenty of non-facts, this is all from my experience.

You are right though – remember a few years ago when everyone was calling Laggan black "unrideable" because a couple of mincers from these parts went there the day after the SSWC at Aviemore and it was too hard for them ?? What a crock that was.

Northwind

Trekster – Member

"Agree to some extent Northwind but need to know and understand the politics of what happened to that route. A good 25% or more of the "original" planned route dissapeared due to cost cutting. The Edge and Omega Man nearly did nt happen.
    Just imagine what it would have been like then."

TBH I'm not sure any of that actually matters, it makes what's there more of an achivement but it doesn't make it any better to ride. Bottom line is the desire and investment from FC to bring it up to the standards of its neighbours isn't there and that's a damn shame because I think anybody can see the potential it has. But at the same time I'd sooner the investment and energy they have gets poured into the 5 better stanes personally. I am not in charge though 😉

But I don't mean to be too harsh here, the only reason people are so down on it IMO is the location, it's just too close to some superb trails. It doesn't have to be bad to fall off the recommendations list, it just has to be less good.

flyingfox
    Free Member

Proper Scotland trails? We've got some great stuff near Stirling…!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘7 Stanes (Glentress and Kirroutree) Then where too?’ is closed to new replies.