Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • 7 Stanes – Currently- Lethal??
  • rep341
    Free Member

Too icy to ride or man up and get on with it?
    Will it be a teater about or will you be able to go normal pace?

simonralli2
    Free Member

I think it really depends if you are in the east or west to be honest.

Trekster

man up and get on with it?

I reckon
    Having said that it has been snowing since around midnight, about an inch of lovely white fluffy stuff.

means if you can get here the Dumfries Stanes will be rideable, maybe, possibly, well maybe not, see what its like int mornin and decide 🙄

2am, just in from the pub etc, etc………………………..

Sqwubbsy
    Free Member

There’s now about 4 inches of snow in Dumfries so get out and play. Mabie was great last week when the snow was here.

willv

Gotin about the same time last night trekster. Lovely walk/stagger back from greens in the snow 🙂

Hoping to ride tomorrow afternoon at mabie if anyone heading that way?

stooo
    Free Member

There’s not much snow in Innerleithen. There was a light shower on Thursday morning, but none since. Pretty dam cold though.

I reckon inners trails will be rideable. Not much traffic on them, so shouldn’t be too packed down/icy… Glen Tress may be different.

I rode Inners red on Wednesday night and all rideable up to the shortcut on the minch moor climb… we took that as it didn’t look fun trying to get to the top of the hill.

simonralli2
    Free Member

It can sometimes be all about the right kind of snow. Mabie, as has already been said, was just fabulous in the snow (and bright sunshine) last week and actually very fast! However, it had not iced over. Also, you may want to check road conditions too obviously.

forge197
    Free Member

Went for a nice walk instead of a ride this AM, will do some gym work instead. Having seen one near miss think I’ll keep the car on the drive today 🙂

banginon

Drumlanrig got a couple of inches fresh snow but rideable and open (if careful) roads.

banginon

couple of riders out and enjoyed the red route. MTFU the rest of you !!!! 😉

Trekster

willv – Member
    Gotin about the same time last night trekster. Lovely walk/stagger back from greens in the snow

Managed to upend myself and split head open on a patch of hidden ice 😥

Really was nice out at that time

Take it the ankle is mending well?

Out sledging with grandson this afternoon 😆 Golf courses come in handy for some things 😉

No biking for me till Thurs at the earliest for me this week 🙄

craig1975
    Free Member

defo man up and get on with it..lol, you’ll be missing out on some quality winter riding…

I was at Mabie early yesterday morning, had a blast in the icy snow 😀 but my god it was bitterly cold…

was down for the weekend with the Mrs but had to head home as wee nearly got stranded in dumfries this morning… but after a really slow and sketchy drive wee made it home… fewwww…

forge197
    Free Member

Just been out for a play around Mabie, awesome not much ice and some of the “special” stuff was grippy, nice coffee at the shed before and after.

Not really into the whole Snow and Ice riding but today was brilliant, imagine less so when it’s packed down and ice 🙁

willv

John – ankle is getting there thanks, although think it will be the summer before its fully recovered 🙁
    Managed an hour at mabie with jimmy – twas good fun.

Trekster

Managed an hour at mabie with jimmy – twas good fun.

Take it easy and enjoy.
    Should heed my own advice sometimes tho.
    Took eldest grandson to GT for his first proper mtb ride soon after my hand was feeling “better” and I could manage to pull the brakes on. Bumbling along, “taking it easy” and managed a proper superman, slow motion over the bars moment. Hit injured hand on ground and said ouch!!!! Hand was sore, swollen but OK, ribs not so. Landed on camelback mouthpiece, leaving me winded and with sore ribs and difficult breathing for another month 🙄
    Good bit was grandson managed whole red route and wants to do more 😆

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Cracking ride around Dalbeattie yesterday. We were the only tyre tracks for 90% of hte red route, perfect amount of snow but watch out on the fireroads- there is some ice in the dips that you can’t see under the snow.

Beautiful conditions- soft powdery snow about 4″ deep so great for riding.

Trekster

Bit like this?

Off piste 😉

Diane
    Free Member

Love the first pic Trekster 🙂

Trekster

tis nice. wee 5mp olympus compact works great when there is plenty of light.
    Was getting very cold by then, sun or no sun 🙁

scotabroad

Love the first pic Trekster

It is the handsome subject matter that does it….

Simon, forge, Trekster et al anyone up for a mid week ride this week at Mabie, Ae, Dalbeattie??

forge197
    Free Member

Not sure I will make mid week this week, in London for a couple days and will probably need a couple to get back out again judging by the forecast down there.

Trekster

Maybe Thurs or Fri? Bike needs some tlc before then and time is not on my side this week. ygm
    Simon will be heading of to Brazil if he can get a plane 🙄

scotabroad

-13ºC this morning – ouch!!

defaultslipper
    Free Member

Went for a play at ae this afternoon. The bits in the woods are great but in the open you are looking at 5-6 inches of snow. For most of the face climb it is a walk and beyond that bran burn bash is a powder slot. Edge is pretty sketchy. Very hard going today. would have taken pictures but camera died before first photo! It was -10 when I left the cafe just after 1pm so very cold. The forestry were clearing the car park but it looks like a sheet of ice!

I don’t like telling people to ride elsewhere but it just wasn’t enjoyable after the 10th mile of snow.
    7stanes website is advising against riding ae mabie or dalbeattie for a while. Looks like kirroughtree has fared best. Don’t think I will be out again til after christmas now.

nick1962
    Free Member

TBH I am getting a bit tired of all these folk on various forums(not just here) who are saying how great it is riding in the snow and this is the best ride/day out/most fun they have ever had.
    B****x!
    They are either deluded or don’tknow how to enjoy riding in “normal” conditions and think that mincing about at 2 mph stopping every five minutes to take ,admittedly very pretty pics in the snow is fun..Not too mention freezing all your valuable extremeties off
    ITS NOT FOR ME!!!
    Feel better for that and am now I’m off for a lie down in a darkened room now praying for the big thaw 😉

scotabroad

TBH I am getting a bit tired of all these folk on various forums(not just here) who are saying how great it is riding in the snow and this is the best ride/day out/most fun they have ever had.
    B****x

Bad day at the office, or is it hormonal? 🙂

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘7 Stanes – Currently- Lethal??’ is closed to new replies.