Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 7 Stanes advice
  • Mounty_73

Hi,

A group of us are doing a tour of the 7 stanes in July, for the first part of the trip we are looking at riding around…

Mabie
    Dalbeattie
    Kirroughtree
    Glentrool

Where would be a good point to camp/start from for the above 4 centres please ?

Then head upto Ae before hitting Glentress etc later on as it further up…..

I know everyone has there favourite centre and some will say 'do this one' or 'miss that one', but none of us have done the 7 stanes, so we are just planning on visiting as many as possible…

Cheers.

kevonakona
    Free Member

Head out to Kirroughtree area then work your way back. Camp site in Newton Stewart is OK for camping. THen back to Kipford for Dalbeattie and Mabie then Ae on the way to GT and Inners.

Oh and no to Glentrool, i've done most of it at one time or another and it is fire road all the way, not even that prety for most of it.

Mounty_73

Cheers, yes a few people have told me to miss Glentrool

sheppie_hill
    Free Member

A riding buddy and I are also doing the stanes in July. We have hired a motorhome from the 16th and are heading up. Here are our itinery and campsite bookings:

Kirroughtree – Night 1 West Coast. Friday Night, ride Saturday

Campsite:
    POOL
    Address
    Castle Cary Holiday Park
    Castle Cary Park
    Creetown
    Newton Stewart
    Dumfries and Galloway
    DG8 7DQ
    Contactt: 01671 820264f: 01671 820670w: Websitee: Email

——————————

Dalbeattie, Mabie and Ae: 3 Nights. Saturday night, ride Dalbeattie Sunday. Sunday night, ride Mabie Monday. Monday night, ride AE Tuesday (quite long drive to Peebles after and before (c50mins before and after)

Address
    Islecroft Caravan and Camping
    Mill Street
    Dalbeattie
    Dumfries and Galloway
    DG5 4HE

———————————–

Glentress and Innerleithen. 2 nights, Tuesday night, ride glentree Wednesday. Wednesday night, ride innerleithen Thursday. Decision time to either stay another night and glentress again or crack on to newcastleton (newcastleton not looking too hot) so maybe another half day on glentress and then trek towards home.

Address
    Rosetta Caravan Park
    Rosetta Road
    Peebles
    Borders
    EH45 8PG
    Contactt: 01721 720770f: 01721 720623w:

Mounty_73

sheppie_hill

Out of interest, where did you hire your motorhome from ?

sheppie_hill
    Free Member
    Mounty_73

Sounds like you have your trip all mapped out…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘7 Stanes advice’ is closed to new replies.