Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • 7 speed shimano freehub / cassette
  • pembo6
    Free Member

is a shimano 7 speed freehub the same as an 8 or 9 speed freehub?

Obviously they have a different number of cassette sprockets. But is the actual freehub the same?

I have a 7 speed freehub with cassette and I want buy one of those singlespeed conversion kits that you use on 8/9 speed freehubs.

Will the conversion kit fit? Or is a 7 speed freehub a different size? I assume they are the same and an extra spacer is used on the 7 speed?

Thanks.

mattsccm
    Free Member

A 7 speed freehub is narrower so a 8/9speed cassette wont go on.A conversion kit should but just maybe the spacers don’t add up to the right width even with one left out. I would try it and make up and differences.

pembo6
    Free Member

Thanks Mattsccm.

I should really just measure one of my existing 8/9 speed hubs, and compare. Then I can check the width of spacer I will need.

But that will involve me going out to the shed tonight in the cold and get all greasy removing wheels and cassettes. Oh well.

I might try and google the different length of 7 speed hub versus 8/9 speed hub.

Thanks

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cp

Spacer kits such as the superstar one have lots of varying thickness spacers so you can just use what you need. You also have much finer control of the chainline – much better all round

pembo6
    Free Member

Thanks CP. that superstar kit looks great. Heaps of spacers.

I measured the 7 speed freehub. It is 41mm and the 8 speed is 45mm. So I need to remove 4mm of spacers from the conversion kit. Looks easy to so with the superstar kit because of all the different size spacers.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘7 speed shimano freehub / cassette’ is closed to new replies.