Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • 7 Speed chain compatibility help needed
  • morter
    Free Member

Afternoon all,

I’m currently running a 7 speed rear cassette with an XT rear mech. I bought a new chain today that’s suitable for 5/6/7 speed, but after fitting it I’m finding that when I back pedal, the chain isn’t feeding through the rear mech and just falls off the front sprocket.

Is this because the chain is too wide to go through the rear mech ir is it just a case of needing to bed in? Does the rear mech also dictate which type of chain I need?

Sorry if this is a really obvious question, I’ve just got back into riding after a 10 year break and am therefore clueless!

Cheers,

Chris

bassspine
    Free Member

how massively worn out are the cassette and chainrings? If you wore out the chain, you almost certainly wore out the cogs too…

coatesy
    Free Member

The type you have is generally intended for really basic(non Hyperglide)cassettes and those horrendous mechs that rely on the chain being stiff enough to be pushed sideways, you need a narrower, more flexible chain to run with your system, 7/8sp will do the job(as long as your cassette’s not worn out).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    morter
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.

I’m just replacing the chain as I’ve changed to a larger front ring and the old chain wasn’t long enough to accomodate.

I think the cassette should be fine and have a spare I can try it with if not, just wanted to confirm my suspicions that the fault was with the chain. I’ll get a 7/8 speed one tomorrow and give that a try.

Cheers

Chris

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘7 Speed chain compatibility help needed’ is closed to new replies.