Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 7 speed cassette and mech with 8 speed shifter. Can it be done?
  • alexpalacefan

As above really, is the gap between the sprockets the same, such that the 'pull' of the shifter will move the derailleur the right distance?

If so, I guess start indexing with the shifter in 7, and 8 will be a redundant click, with the limit screw stopping the mech dropping the chain off the bottom of the cassette?

Cheers, all advice gratefully received.

Alex

rolfharris
    Free Member

Yep, that'll work fine.

Ogg

Spacing is 0.2mm different from 7 speed to 8 speed by the looks of it
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#spacing
    so you should only be out by upto 0.6mm in 1st and 7th gear so sounds do-able.
    No practical experience though!

Ogg

scaredypants

what ^ they said (especially Ogg)

make the central sprocket the one that lines up perfectly, not the smallest as you might for perfectly matching shifter

alexpalacefan

OK, so index from the middle, and it might get a bit jumpy at the extremes. Ta.

Rolfharris, have you any experience?

Cheers

Alex

PS, Ogg is that you?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Done it an dyou have to accept a little skip in one gear 4 th in mine but a half click of old STI shifter sorts it
    Yes it can be done index is a bit more fidllely (spell?)to get it working OK.

Ogg

PS, Ogg is that you?

Yes it is – cheers for the loan of the room last weekend!

alexpalacefan

No worries, and thanks for the spot-on advice. Gonna see if I can blag a 7 speed unit from the parts bin at the office.

A

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘7 speed cassette and mech with 8 speed shifter. Can it be done?’ is closed to new replies.