Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • 7 seaters …
  • hammyuk
    Free Member

As I said dweller – you’re welcome to try mine.

garage-dweller

Hammy that’s very kind. We’re in central Hampshire whereabouts are you?

hammyuk
    Free Member

South Hants 😆

porter_jamie

Have a drive of a grand connect tourneo. They drive very well. You may not like the looks so much…

jond
    Free Member

Bought a caddy maxi life a few years ago – yeah – probably a bit boomer than a car but size, seating flexibility ( rear bench removable, middle 2+1 tip/remove) and a very comfy driving position more than make up for it. Lots of storage cubby holes (annoyingly not for the jack!), lashing points ..not quite as big as a t4/t5 but a fair bit cheaper. And not with some of the reported t5 foibles afaia. 1.6 surprisingly nippy (tho diesel emissions fix awaited), prob easier to find than the 2.0. (or was 2 yrs ago).
    Hyundai i800 was another I considered – nearer a lwb t5 and used for camper conversions, but the rear bench is bolted in and the middle row slides only I think…really needs some enterprising company to do a flexible seat conversion (unless one exists already).r

Oh, and there’s a very active caddy forum , caddy2k.com .

ade9933
    Free Member

We have a citroen C4 Grand Picasso.

Good on price.

Does well on comfort, 3 proper back seats capable of taking ISOfix seats, decent driver convenience re: electric toys etc. Loads of space for bikes. 2 bonus back seats if needed.

Bad bits:
    Rubbish mpg
    Terrible at towing
    When (very) fully laden it feels like you need to will it up hills.

We have the 1.8 (ish) petrol manual one.

ade9933
    Free Member

one of things with the ‘van types’ is that you can have insurance complications and sometime VAT implications on purchase.

I was looking at an MPV which is also available as a van version and the insurance company said that they didn’t insure vans even thought the guy selling it was insured by the same company as an MPV… weird. might just require persistence.

Good luck.

garage-dweller

Brilliant. Thanks all. Discussion with Mrs g-d now. I think I’m down to Caddy, Galaxy, Shalambran for a proper nosey and will Google the Tourneo option too.

Hammy I might just take you up on your offer to look at yours if you’ve still got it by the time weve chatted it through here at home.

hammyuk
    Free Member

The jack has its own cubby in the boot and the other parts sits in their own section on the massive tray above the front seats.
    Dweller – I’m up and down the A3 a lot at the moment so no probs catching up at any point.
    Message me and can sort something.

Harry_the_Spider

I’ve got an S-Max which is probably too small for your needs, but after almost 3 years of trouble free ownership we’ll be looking at a Galaxy next as the kids get bigger.

franksinatra

I reckon an sMax would be fine, you should get a folded wheelchair in the boot with the third row of seats up.

I’m on my second s-max and they are great cars.

Harry_the_Spider

True.

elma
    Free Member

I used to have a Chrysler grand voyager that would suit all your needs ,it drove really well and felt like a mobile board room masses of space even with all the seats in place and the stowand go seats were fantastic and folded into the floor to create a massive space.
    I drove a caddy recently and thought it was terrible it felt like it had a solid rear end and was very industrial

garage-dweller

Quick update in case anyone is interested we went and looked at a few things today.

SMax and Galaxy with third row in situ there was no real space behind seats at all for luggage/wheelchairs – unless the whole seats slide forward at the base and I missed that? I know the middle row does.

However, I noticed that the middle row seats move independently of each other in both. So I wonder has anyone got two boosters (rather than high back seats) in the outer seats with them pushed forward or back and an adult into the middle comfortably?

It definitely doesn’t work in the Mondeo (overall seat width is impacted by the wheel arches) but in a large MPV the arch intrudes on the third row not the second.

Technically both our boys are road legal in seats without back rests but where possible I would rather they had the extra protection BUT if I could get them and my wife in the middle row and relative loaded in the front then it might be an OK compromise and then when there’s just four of us the big seats can go in.

Also saw a Tourneo Connect (not the Grand) which looked like it carried some extra width in the seating. I kind of liked it from a lifestyle perspective (big tall tailgate, seats tumble to make it a van and a mid height driving position) and i love van wing mirrors but I fear it might suffer from being a bit too “vanny” for daily driver use especially with 1.6td/105 and 5 speed box. Anyone had one?

timber

Random thing I spotted earlier that may fit van sized but refined to drive was Mercedes R Class. 6 seats, part car, part mini bus, part van, part private jet, part weird. But it is large and most likely a comfy, if not involving drive.

I have no desire for one myself, but popped up in an eBay search for something with a V8, pretty sure the usual diesel options will be available.

robbo76
    Free Member

Buy a van and throw a settee in the back

stox
    Free Member

I wonder has anyone got two boosters (rather than high back seats) in the outer seats with them pushed forward or back and an adult into the middle comfortably?

The rear rear seats don’t slide , the middle row does as you know.

I have a baby seat on both sides of my galaxy middle row and my wife can squeeze past them to sit in the middle seat in comfort.

Harry_the_Spider

However, I noticed that the middle row seats move independently of each other in both. So I wonder has anyone got two boosters (rather than high back seats) in the outer seats with them pushed forward or back and an adult into the middle comfortably?

In our SMax we put the two kid’s seats next to each other leaving an outer one free for an adult. This allows for better “tilt access” for the rear seats.

Regarding the wheelchair in the boot, the best thing you can do is try it I suppose. If you are local to me you can have a go with mine. I’m in Manchester – email in profile.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I can recommend a VW Sharan (or Seat Alhambra) as an incredibly practical family wagon. It’s a proper 7-seater i.e. the rear 2 seats are proper adult seats and it’s plenty wide enough for child seats in all the seats if you want. Sliding doors too. The passenger seat folds flat for a HUGE flat load space if you need it. It’s like a van but with comfort.

Not remotely engaging to drive of course 😆

wilko1999
    Free Member

I have a Grand Tourneo Connect g-d in answer to your question. It is totally un-van-like to drive, motorway noise isn’t much difference from my outgoing Focus estate. Its the 1.5 diesel 120ps though with 6 speed box. Handles well, just like a big estate really. It’s a little un-refined on some of the bumpier back roads. I absolutely love it, as do my family. The third row of seats slides forward to leave a fairly decent bit of room. Although I’ve currently taken out the third row of seats for maximum load/bikes/dogs/kids shite lugging. Its bl88dy huge.

Although there’s no denying its not the prettiest way to travel, not that I care though.

brassneck

SMax and Galaxy with third row in situ there was no real space behind seats at all for luggage/wheelchairs – unless the whole seats slide forward at the base and I missed that? I know the middle row does.

Nope you’re right which is why I didn’t chip in with my usual S Max answer (run what you’ve brung :-)) – I’d say the second row are only for the under 13s too for any distance, although curiously they solved my middle ones car sickness. That, or he can hide it under the other seats 😯

gonzy
    Free Member

i’ve always been a bit wary about 7 seaters. we were tepmted to buy one ourselves but seeing as we really didnt need something that big we opted for a c-max
    my 2 main concerns are that with all the seat up, there is very little space left for luggage so you’n need to travel light or get a roofbox
    the other concern is how safe are they? for example if they were hit from behind, how safe would the passengers in the last row of seats be in a collision?
    me and my mates hired a ford tourneo to drive down to bpw. with 9 of us and all our kit in the large boot (bikes were in a separate sprinter van) it was a very comfortable ride. plenty of leg and head room and all the mod cons of a traditional car

stilltortoise
    Free Member

with all the seat up, there is very little space left for luggage

The Sharan/Alhambra isn’t bad in this respect. We can fit a pushchair and various coats/bags in ours, but granted it’s not going to fit 7 people on a camping holiday!

how safe would the passengers in the last row of seats be in a collision?

I’d suggest as safe as the rear passengers in a Toyota Aygo or any of those other tiny city cars. Presumably they wouldn’t even be on the market if they didn’t pass all the various safety tests.

gonzy
    Free Member

I’d suggest as safe as the rear passengers in a Toyota Aygo or any of those other tiny city cars. Presumably they wouldn’t even be on the market if they didn’t pass all the various safety tests.

there seems to be a smaller crumple zone to absorb any rear impact…so the rear passengers would be more likely to sustain injuries as shown by the video below…makes you think

[video]https://youtu.be/a4nMXcB7ffI[/video]

as far as i can tell NCAP dont test for this in new cars

cheddarchallenged
    Free Member

The new (2016) Touran is worth a look if you can find one – the demonstrators come up on Autotrader now and again but the “new” stock is very limited.

The new model has 3 rows of seats (the back rows fold flat) and a massive boot that’s almost as big as a Galaxy or C4 Picasso when the middle row of seats are slid forward a bit.

MPG is mid 50s to mid 60s on a good run (diesel version) and it’s pretty comfortable drive.

The one caveat is that new VWs do seem to have buggy software so some of the “extras” don’t work as reliably as you might expect e.g. city parking brake, radar collision detection, park assist etc. The sat nav on ours sometimes gets stuck “calculating” to the route and the only way to fix it is to stop the car, turn the engine off and lock the doors.

It goes without saying that VW dealers per the parent brand appear to be complete shysters and getting them to fix these problems is only marginally less difficult than pushing water uphill with only your nose or a sieve as the available choices.

Scamper
    Free Member

With our Alhambra we can fit one of those huge buggaboo double buggies in the boot with no issues with rear 2 seats up. The rear 2 seats are also isofix (plus rear airbags) which is handy. So we sometimes put baby in the back if carrying an extra adult next to the two eldest in the middle row. OP, think you can get booster seats as an extra built into the Alhambra/Sharan.

garage-dweller

Thanks all. Need to track a Sharan down down near me to look at. Won’t be buying new so can’t spec any specific whizzy stuff. Tourans out on budget.

R class could be a left field contender but flipping heck they hold some value and yikes to possible running costs (£500ved and 30mpg on the base diesel engine!). I’m going to have a quick look at a lwb one though – it’s so daft it might just work.

The most annoying bit about all this is I only actually want to sit 5 people it’s just getting them in with two on booster seats and one who is immobile. What really hacks me off is five adults can fit in the car but i cant get three adults and two kids on booster seats!!!!!!! Balls the search drags on….

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Citroen Berlingo? They are quite wide so should fit the bill if you don’t actually need 7 seats. Sliding doors too 🙂

hammyuk
    Free Member

Dweller – let me know where you are as I am out and about over the next few days so most likely driving past you in mine!
    As a hint to the size of the boot – I picked my gas BBQ back up on sunday from a friends and put it in the boot.
    With the rear bench seats in.
    Without having to take the side gas ring or table off.

rickmeister

Well, after reading and researching, just bought a Sharan tdi 4motion today. Pick it up next week then across to the UK for 3 weeks and working at the World Cup in Fort Bill.
    1 owner, fsh, highline spec, 4 winter tyres on rims, 170kms €2700. Its the new bike bus.
    Simple cat, no pdf and millions of sensors. Remap imminent.

Pretty scarce but pleased we found one.

garage-dweller

Hi Hammy

I was going to drop you a line but wasn’t able to see an e-mail or contact details in the ads / your profile. I’m a worrisome middle aged fart and always ultra cautious about plastering my location on a front page on the public bit of the Internet.

E-mail (in spambot proof form) is in my profile.

If you don’t mind dropping me an e-mail can hopefully sort something.

🙂

hammyuk
    Free Member

Well thats weird!
    Always had an email in there 😯

Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘7 seaters …’ is closed to new replies.