Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 216 total)
  • 7 seater luxury 4 x 4s – anyone got an XC90, Q7 or X5?
  • hughjayteens
    Free Member

Before anyone jumps in, I know an estate car makes more sense but it’s for the wife and she likes being high up and hates MPVs, so the genre of car is not for discussion!!

I’ve always been a BMW owner so a 7 seater X5 has the most appeal to me, but as she’ll never wash it and the interior will be full of sweets and nappies, I am thinking maybe an XC90 might be more hard wearing?

Have been told that the XC90 diesel engine is pretty noisy and not very powerful whereas the X5 one is smooth, more powerful and more economical too boot?

Have also not looked at Q7s before but maybe they are a good alternative? Are they as big as they seem?

Thanks

johndoh
    Free Member

They are huge – it’s how they get 7 seats in them.

crispo
    Free Member

MIL has an X5, think its the 40d Msport.

She loves it, its her second one in a row. The engine on it is immense too, hugely powerful diesel so passes everything with ease.

If you are using it for 7 people regualrly though there might be better options. On the times there has been 7 of us in it there is basically no leg room in the back two seats (guess its ok if its just 2 little toddlers) but for more fully grown people its a bit of a squeeze.

Thats about all I can comment on it though.

loddrik
    Free Member

They are quite repulsive, unnecessary and don’t put a particularly favourable light on the people who drive them. I find it amusing that they are mostly made by German car makers, yet Germans hardly buy them compared with the fools in this country. The Germans seem to favour large estates, I guess they are more tasteful that Brits…

hughjayteens
    Free Member

It is only for occasional 7 seat use. The kids are 6,4 and 5 months so three car seats is a real squeeze in a normal sized car, and when my mum comes to stay or the kids have friends over, we have to use 2 cars which is a pain.

I think it will only ever be kids in the rear seats.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Thanks Loddrik – where I live people seem to look at those who DON’T drive them in an unfavourable light, so it’s all good!

boblo
    Free Member

If you get an X5, don’t take it to France….

loddrik
    Free Member

That was a 5 series estate…

molgrips
    Free Member

The kids are 6,4 and 5 months so three car seats is a real squeeze in a normal sized car

Still think a Touran etc or even a Sharan/Galaxy is a much better option.

loddrik
    Free Member

Why not go the whole hog and get a white Range Rover….

loddrik
    Free Member

It would, but what on earth would the neighbours think..

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

The XC90 is very popular over here, (as you’d expect), and certainly seems to be dwarfed by the Q7 or X5 when parked side by side.

I’d expect the two German cars to offer slightly better MPG, however that’ll be off-set against a higher initial price.

Quality wise they are in the same ballpark, so I guess its whatever interior your wife like the best.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

loddrik – Member

Why not go the whole hog and get a white Range Rover.

I sold my Rangey last year so don’t fancy another one!!

molgrips
    Free Member

If you are feeling flush though, how about a really nice van? VW Caravelle or Vito or something? Far more practical I reckon.

aP
    Free Member

Mercedes R class is the low profile solution.

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh and there’s now a 7 seater Prius, so I can recommend it in even more situations 🙂

loddrik
    Free Member

If you have money to burn and must have an SUV, the Merc G-Wagen is the only one with any class, a G55 would do. Failing that an Alpina estate. X5’s may be technically excellent, but they are naff, driven by wag wannabees and wives of grafters, the Q7 is stomach churning.

imp999
    Free Member

Land Rover Discovery.

Biased because I work there, but I do love them.

jota180
    Free Member

If you are feeling flush though, how about a really nice van? VW Caravelle or Vito or something? Far more practical I reckon.

A nice van 😆

I reckon you’ve missed the OPs [and his wifes] requirements by a few miles there

crispo
    Free Member

X5’s may be technically excellent, but they are naff, driven by wag wannabees and wives of grafters

My MIL is the managing director of quite a successful company so I guess there is always one that bucks the trend eh!? 🙄

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve had 530d Touring Sports and can’t fault them in the slightest. If it’s screwed together’ism and power then the BMW is the way to go.

I had (for 5weeks) an XC90 2.5d whilst I was choosing my next car, It was big, heavy, wallowed and was plastic inside. The engine was gutless and it was too large to park in spaces where I could get my 5’s in. I hated it. I din’t buy it despite the generous offer of PX’.
    If you go for the toys then you can add another 8k to the price.

If it’s any help.. (most) mates at my club have big cars, the car of choice is a Disco, the 7 seater. XC90’s are so 1990’s and X5’s are so 2002 darhling.. The only thing that seems consistant is the Disco and most have the 3.0d version. Mind they do pull boats around the country and scuttle off to the Alps with the family so there you go.

It sounds like your partner likes to be seen, and be seen in something, the XC90 sounds like the perfect car.

Failing that a 5 Touring is the deal, of an Audi A6 Avant, or a Volvo V70 or S60.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

loddrik – Member

If you have money to burn and must have an SUV, the Merc G-Wagen is the only one with any class, a G55 would do. Failing that an Alpina estate. X5’s may be technically excellent, but they are naff, driven by wag wannabees and wives of grafters, the Q7 is stomach churning.

I didn’t say it needed to have any class. It just needs to be higher up than a Galaxy etc, seat 7 safely and not look out of place amongst the other cars on the school run and at the tennis club…..

toxicsoks
    Free Member

it’s for the wife and she likes being high up and hates MPVs

…makes about as much sense……..
    Can’t believe anyone would start this sort of thread on STW. Must have huge balls or be mahoosively stupid. 🙄

brassneck

Rather depends on where you live though. My MPV has been destroyed by a continual need to get up verges to avoid farm vehicles / satnav obsessed HGVs, and when they release the pheasants it’s guaranteed carnage. I’ve been pondering a similar question, though more S Max v XC90 than the others mentioned.

How about the Touareg?

brassneck

and not look out of place amongst the other cars on the school run and at the tennis club….

hang on, I’ve been fished in haven’t I?

mt
    Free Member

Disco 4 HSE. 7 full size seats. Not kiddy seats in the back.

grum
    Free Member

I didn’t say it needed to have any class. It just needs to be higher up than a Galaxy etc, seat 7 safely and not look out of place amongst the other cars on the school run and at the tennis club…..

This has to be a troll surely.

DaveP

I have a Q7, just did home to Morzine with 4 bikes on the tow bar.
    It was extremely quiet, very easy and it performed flawlessly. Had it for about 6months. Before that I had a 5 series estate. The Q7 is about same length, is wider and does fit in spaces less (easily? or just less…)

It is a ridiculous car, it is a crazy size. But it works and fits what I need it for. It does not get used around town. Fuel consumption – have seen it show an average of 40+mpg for a journey, but that is very much the exception. Did average something like 34mpg with bikes through france @ 82mph. Long term is currently 31mpg (I am not very patient).

Haven’t used the 7 seats much. But would not consider buying the Q5 (that seems too compromised in my mind).

Was ironic in the winter – take a 4wd to work in the snow (on pirelli Pzero) or 2wd with winter tyres. I did both and the 2wd was almost certainly safer.

Apparently you can’t get anybody who wants the 4.2tdi (a friend of a friend was looking to get do a trade-in and nobody would bid for the car).

BoardinBob

she likes being high up

It does give a much better view of the proles

richmars

The kids are 6,4 and 5 months so three car seats is a real squeeze in a normal sized car

Makes you wonder how everyone else copes with 3 children.
    If you want a large car, that’s fine, but having 3 children is a rather weak reason.

transapp
    Free Member

Really, really the wrong place to ask this advice!
    However, xc90 is the most practical, really meant for school run mums, terrible gear boxes though. Q7 was small er inside than I thought, it’s got the thickest bodywork this side of a chieftain tank. Went ok with the 3.0 but if I’m having all those issues parking, I’d want something in return! X5 I don’t know about other than watch out for replacement tyre costs, £500 a corner seems quite steep to me!!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

If I had the money to burn, I’d burn it.

Then I’d live a much more modest life.

mboy
    Free Member

and not look out of place amongst the other cars on the school run and at the tennis club…..

REALLY? 😕

I was all for offering some useful advice (despite my complete disdain for faux by fours) based on your needs and requirements, then you wrote that!

I’m no communist saying we should all drive around in the same vehicle as each other, far from it, I appreciate nice cars and being allowed to spend money on them if you’ve earnt it (legitimately) is your right. But this is 2012, not the 1980’s! You may well live in Chelsea or Richmond, but last time I was down there the Chelsea tractor was a whole lot less popular than it used to be, so might be time to move with the times!

Gotta be a Disco like bikbouy said, if you REALLY must have a 4×4 with 7 seats. Only car in the class that can contain a modicum of respect amongst us revolting peasants and yet still fit in down the tennis club, and do the job admirably too. The Q7 is without doubt the most ridiculous car of the lot seeing as they pretty much all come on 20″+ wheels with ultra low profile tyres, and are as long as a London Bus. The X5 is pretty ghastly (from a BMW fan, but then this is a BMW made in America for Americans) but is at least smaller and less imposing than the Hideous Audi. XC90 is the least Chelsea of the Tractors, but limited (though good) engine range now, and it’s an old car now having been introduced in 2003 and not updated since.

Anyway, if I ever happen to suffer from an over active libido and not learn about effective birth control, so require 7 seats, a proper People Carrier makes so much more sense than a faux by four!

Makes you wonder how everyone else copes with 3 children.
    If you want a large car, that’s fine, but having 3 children is a rather weak reason.

I just sold an 11 year old Renault Scenic to a guy off this forum for this very reason… PLENTY, and I mean PLENTY of room in the back for 3 kids, with a decent sized boot behind also, and a reasonably high up driving position. He gave me £500 for it and was happy with it! Make of that what you will… 😕

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Only in the home counties! Is that Nicolai just the job for the trundle along the tow path too?

bigjim

Can only be a troll!

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Touareg is only 5 seater sadly.

Yes some of my comments were a little tongue in cheek, but I thought my original post stated that I wasn’t interested in discussing why she wanted a 4 x 4 as I knew what sort of reactions I’d get!

Horses for courses – why on earth wouldn’t I rather my wife was driving something she wanted to drive and suited the family well.

She has been driving an 06 model Honda CR-V for the last 6 years so clearly isn’t a badge snob, it is just a pain in the arse getting 3 seats in the back and if the worst happened and she was involved in an accident, the kids can’t undo their own seatbelts as they are so squashed together.

Therefore a wider rear seat is a must, 7 seats will be handy as my mum stops with us one week in six, and my wife shares after school activity taxi services with other mums. We also live in a semi rural area so the raised driving position makes lanes easier and the 4 x 4 comes in handy when driving up verges to let tractors past and when it snows as our village is in a fairly steep dip.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Mate had a Q7 and he quickly got fed up with feeding it tyres and fuel.
    Toureg also eats tyres I’ve been told
    BIL has an X5 and the extra 2 seats are odd in that they are lower than the normal back seats – this makes for a queasy ride as little kids can’t see much outside
    XC90 has been around quite a while and I’d agree that the engine isn’t the best although it got better when Volvo upped the output to 180bhp.
    We’ve had one for 10 years and although we only do about 7k/year it’s served us very well for hauling a family of 5 plus two boats, 2 dogs and plenty of luggage. Although the Q7 looks nice it really is massive and not that big inside, I wouldn’t buy a BMW of any kind – not sure why.

LoCo
    Free Member

Transporter 4 motion, drive like a car and high up seating position

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Discovery 4 would have been on the list, but a neighbour has an 09 D3 and he’s had loads of issues with air suspension sagging and the transfer box has just gone. Mostly fixed under warranty but it’s been in the garage for 4 weeks this year so far. Is the D4 going to be any better?

I sold a Range Rover Vogue last year as that had endless faults and niggles, again, all initially sorted under warranty but a bill for £2k followed by another for £1k 3 months later was the final straw for a 4 1/2 year old car.

Sadly the chaps at Solihull don’t seem to have got their act together yet.

flange
    Free Member

You’re poor aren’t you and have clearly NEVER driven any of these cars. For a start, the G wagon is an ancient design that doesn’t handle, isn’t very comfy and a G55 would bankrupt you at the pumps. They’re like a German version of a Defender and I’m pretty sure thats not what the OP is after here.

I’ve got a Q7 and its brilliant at some things, not so good at others and truly rubbish for a few things.

They are massive inside, however because of the seven seats its not that easy to get more than one bike in the back. The load bed isn’t very deep because the seats fold flat so if you want to carry bikes, a tow bar rack is a must. They EAT tyres like they’re going out of fashion. The 21’s on mine are 295’s and they cost a small fortune to replace – I’m lucky to see 10k out of a set. If you buy one, get the 20 inch wheels, replacement tyres are much cheaper. Also heavy on brakes which again are expensive. Fuel wise I see between 27 and 30mpg, although I’ve got a bit of a heavy foot. Set the cruise on 70/75 and you’ll see 32 easy enough.

Comfort wise they’re brilliant. You can happily drive for 3 or 4 hours and arrive feeling fine. I did the same trip in the Cayman and the RS4 I had before this and you’d get out feeling like you’d been run over. Long distance motorway work its their forté and bar the thirst for fuel they’re nigh on perfect. I’ve stuck 35k on mine since December and its been pretty faultless, bar the electric tailgate pakcing up this weekend, which is apparently a common fault.

If you do a lot of town driving I’d not bother though. I live in Kingston and its a nightmare to park and just generally drive about. I’m pretty careful and so far haven’t hit anything but there’s been a few close calls, just because its so wide. To the point where the A3 near Hook junction is a very scary experience.

Its also lost a massive amount of money. I paid 28k for mine in December. Having looked at trading it in, I’ve had a few places offer me as low as 13k, none above 15k. That’s a massive amount of depreciation and worth considering if you change your car often.

I don’t think I’d have another if I’m honest, they’re too big and not that good at carrying bikes. I don’t have kids so I’ve no real use for 7 seats either. Next car will either be a nice van, or something quick with a roof rack. If I was to have another SUV, I’d look at a Disco 4 but make sure I’ve got a good warranty on it. Or get a post 07 Cayenne for not much money and run it into the ground.

This is mine on the day I picked it up

And to give an idea of size – thats a mid wheelbase high roof T5 behind it

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 216 total)

The topic ‘7 seater luxury 4 x 4s – anyone got an XC90, Q7 or X5?’ is closed to new replies.