Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 7 out of 8 death are women
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

On bikes in London apparently

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8296971.stm

Most bike accidents I see involve blokes so I reckon I might have to start riding around trucks in London to make my life safer.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I could be wrong, but statistically speaking isn't a sample size of only 8 far too small to draw any meaningful conclusion? If they looked over the last few years and had a sample size of maybe 25-30, wouldn't that be significant?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Women are more at risk because they tend to obey the rules of the road – i.e.. stopping at lights and actually riding on the road. I see so many big butch men riding on the pavement like frightened rabbits, it really irritates me.
    Elaine Smith, Somerset

can she sign up here she would be great in the chat forum

Rich
    Free Member

Yeah, stop being scared, ride on the road and get killed like the women, call yourself men!

glenp
    Free Member

The article is probably correct, but not in the way being discussed here – further down there is a diagram of a junction… if you hide away in the gutter of the road you risk getting squashed.

Same basic problem for the vast majority of cyclists I see on the road – they ride in the gutter and invite traffic past with no assessment of whether it is safe to do so.

The government should urgently launch an information campaign to inform cyclists how position themselves on the road, and also to inform drivers that they must not assume they can go straight past.

qwerty
    Free Member
    Lardy_biker
    Free Member

No.1 problem in the capital is passing up the inside.

I am guilty of doing this in the past but not no more, oh no sorry sir.

I stopped after going on a ride with the missus. After shooting up the inside of a bus, fliccked my head round to see her doing the same thing and looking pretty vulnerable to being crushed.

Deaths on our roads londons roads are largely due to this imo.

uplink
    Free Member

Women are more at risk because they tend to obey the rules of the road

I've seen loads of women do silly things, like going up the inside of trucks at junctions – certainly lots more than men

I don't think they see the exposure & possible consequences in the same way a lot of men do.

glenp
    Free Member

I've just read the whole article to the end and it is quite balanced really – shame the bit about men not obeying the rules was at the top because that is a distraction from the real issue, which is thoroughly explored further down.

Women hugging the kerb are NOT following the "rules". The rule is take the road and maximise the space around you.

Lardy_biker
    Free Member

Hows about some LARGE stickers for the backs of busses, lorries, tippertrucks saying "DO NOT PASS ME UP THE INSIDE AS YOU MAY GET SQUASHED – I CANNOT SEE YOU" and then a bit of common sense driving to go with it.

Oh also. Remove the railings from heavy trafficked tight left turns.

cookeaa

Wow there's no news like old news is there…

Junkyard
    Free Member

It is experience I suspect most are novices and dont hog the road enough and drive in an aggresive /protective manner like experienced male cyclists [who are probably more likely to ingnore lights and ride like nutters]. Plenty of places on my commite I have to put my bike in the middle of the road to stop cars overtaking on blind bends etc.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I reckon large stickers saying "YOUR ARSE *IS* TOO BIG FOR THIS GAP" would work better 🙂

Aidan
    Free Member

TfL have made a video about passing lorries, but it hasn't really been publicised widely enough.

Money is the major issue. I manage the delivery of cycle training to a London borough, and the yearly budget is less than the salary of 1 MP. That's how much the government actually give a damn.

nedrapier

solution:

on a ride with the missus. After shooting up the inside of a bus, fliccked my head round to see her doing the same thing and looking pretty vulnerable to being crushed.

Deaths on our roads londons roads are largely due to this imo.

Now if everyone would stop following Lardy_biker up the inside of busses, we could make some progress.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘7 out of 8 death are women’ is closed to new replies.