Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • 7 kids and no idea what to do with them
  • joolsburger
    Free Member

My wife and I have been working through the process of adopting a child over the last few months. It's hard work and very stringent (Rightly so) there are lots of hoops to jump through and forms, interviews etc etc. Taking on someone elses children is managed in a really careful way.

I understand that the parents, and I use the term in it's loosest possible sense, of the boys convicted for that horrible crime had no less than 7 offspring.

Is having children a right or a privilege and is it something that could, or should, be controlled for those evidently incapable of doing it properly.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Unfortunately one of those " common-sense" ideas with no way of actually doing it and the further you look into it the harder it is to see a way of doing it.

Who decides?
    What criteria?
    What to do with children born without state consent?
    How to prevent conception?

woody2000

Is having children a right or a privilege

No, it's a consequence of having unprotected sex. Could everyone please just stop with the stupid, provocative questions 😈

bristolbiker
    Free Member

'Tis a tough one. Having seen some of the 'hoops' you speak of, having been a referee for some friends who are adopting, you do have to wonder that if the level of care/thought/training taken over placing adopted children was applied to all children then 'things' might be better. Having said that, the moral and administrative issues that such a process would throw up may actually be worse.

mos

Don't give any free gov money to people with kids. Would put some off i'm sure.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Lets say, and I'm not advocating this, that a person who's children had been removed by the state was given a contraceptive injection to prevent them having more kids (temporarily) thoughts??

GW
    Free Member

WOW!! Heil Joolsburger!

adoption application?
    *STAMP*
    [DENIED!]

(if it was my call, anyway)!!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Illegal. Sideeffects. catholics.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Oh, is this the entrance to the moral maze I see before me? 😉

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

As population control becomes more and more of an issue in the future, I can see the day when genetic engineering will allow fertility to deactivated in the womb/at birth and reactivated once you provide proof (ability/income) that ou're fit to be a parent.
    Sounds about right to me

joolsburger
    Free Member

Pretty sure I'm not a Nazi but thanks. Good thing it isn't up to you then!

So in this case proven unfit parents have 7 kids nothing to be done about it then?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Take the kids off them is about it.

BoardinBob

What to do with children born without state consent?

Drown them or see if we can compost them.

Bunnyhop

They are indeed a privilege.

With all these hoops that you speak off, I often wonder how on earth did Madonna manage to adopt that last little girl. Imo she wasn't thinking of the child, only herself. I speak with experience having gone through the adoption system.

All the best joolsburger.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Jools – as I'm sure you know, the adoption process is lengthy, both for the new parents to be allowed to adopt, but also every effort is made for the children to remain with at least one of the natural parents – therefore, the hypothetical process you describe is taking the current thinking on not just a couple of steps, but several miles down a long and dimly lit road. However, I'm not saying the status quo is right……

As I understand it, there is no mechanism to prosecute the parents in question, so perhaps that is first thing that needs to change though a prison sentence for the parents may lead to the kids going into care anyway.

zaskar
    Free Member

(Thanks god I don't have kids)

But other peoples (Nephews and friends) seem to be great fun.

Tough being a parent too.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Thanks.

My point here wasn't to court controversy but it is a fact that contraceptive techniques now exist that can prevent conception for long periods. That kids mother could get pregnant again tomorrow and there's nothing to be done.

I don't think that's right but on the other hand the alternatives now available seem…harsh.

Bunnyhop

Pssst. it's in the wrong forum.

joolsburger
    Free Member

whoops so it is Mods

zaskar
    Free Member

Yeah but you still have to get in the saddle and ride?

Correct forum…

bassspine
    Free Member

you have to get a license to drive a car and that's pretty trivial.
    I'd say there's a case for training before you get a parenting license, that's not eugenics, it's good sense.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

you have to get a license to drive a car

Yeah, and seeing how most motorists drive makes me doubt a parenting license could ever be sufficient.

alpin
    Free Member

Who decides?

me…..

having children isn't something that should be entered into lightly.

i think, sadly, that sun/mail readers tend to have more kids than telegraph/gaurdian readers thus tipping the balance in favour of the lowest common denominator. it doesn't bode well for furture generations.

i think the state should be allowed to forcefully remove the ability of shit people o having children. perhaps there could be an IQ test or some sort of means testing to determine whether or not the potential parents are capable of looking after not only themselves but future generations….

BenHouldsworth – Member

As population control becomes more and more of an issue in the future, I can see the day when genetic engineering will allow fertility to deactivated in the womb/at birth and reactivated once you provide proof (ability/income) that ou're fit to be a parent.
    Sounds about right to me

i agree.

oh, and i don't have kids – or currently have any wish to despite the fact i think i'd make a good dad….

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘7 kids and no idea what to do with them’ is closed to new replies.