Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • 6music playlists (whine content)
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Jesus they play some crap, repeatedly!

Bowie’s new stuff was fairly poor but back to the Pixies now and it’s utterly GASH!

sssimon
    Free Member

*turns on six music condescending voice*

uuuh it’s Pixies actually

grum
    Free Member

New Pixies stuff?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yes, the new stuff from Pixies. Surely you didn’t miss the biggest muso circle jerk in years a few weeks back when it was released?!? 😯

grum
    Free Member

I’m out of the loop bro. I heard they were doing new stuff but didn’t know it was out yet (I’m not sure I really want to hear it either).

cynic-al
    Free Member

sssimon – Member
    *turns on six music condescending voice*

uuuh it’s Pixies actually

Jesus wept, this makes it all it worse.

nicko74

It is a bit iffy from time to time. It’s like they have 3 different levels of playlist – the stuff listeners “should” listen to (new Pixies, Bowie etc), that’s played every show; regular favourites that the first couple of times are quite out there, then get a bit repetitive (“Superfreak” had that for about 3 months) and then the other stuff.

muggomagic

They’re playing the Pixies for all the 30 somethings that were listening to jason donovan and kylie at the time and completely missed them. It’s the same with all these come back tours by the likes of the specials and the stone roses. the majority of people there would never have been to one of their gigs 1st time round.
    Bowie can do no wrong and if you don’t like it then it’s you that has the problem.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Neither can Kylie. 🙂

muggomagic

Neither can Kylie.

Kylie Minogue was far too Charlene back then. It wasn’t until she was “influenced” by Michael Hutchence that she blossomed.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Kylie has NEVER done any wrong.

Even the locomotion was sublime. More fun to dance to than Pixies shite anyway. 😐

muggomagic

Kylie has NEVER done any wrong.

Oh yes she bloody well has. I hated this song and had it not been for her bottom in “Spinning around” then I don’t think I’d have ever forgiven her.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlJT_KDPpCg&feature=kp[/video]

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

That’s one of her best! 😀

Sandwich

Oh yes she bloody well has

Burn the heretic. That’s ban hammer talk.

CountZero

cynic-al – Member
    Jesus they play some crap, repeatedly!

Bowie’s new stuff was fairly poor but back to the Pixies now and it’s utterly GASH!

No it isn’t.

muggomagic – Member
    They’re playing the Pixies for all the 30 somethings that were listening to jason donovan and kylie at the time and completely missed them. It’s the same with all these come back tours by the likes of the specials and the stone roses. the majority of people there would never have been to one of their gigs 1st time round.
    Bowie can do no wrong and if you don’t like it then it’s you that has the problem.

How about for the 50-something’s, who were there, but never managed to see them, for whatever reason, and are just glad to a) have a possibility of seeing the band live, and b) see new material being produced.
    I can’t hear any significant difference between the new Pixies stuff, and the likes of Monkey Goes To Heaven,
    And I’ve got all the original Pixies albums, and the two new EPs.
    From what I’ve seen of Cynic-al and dd’s music tastes, I can’t take seriously any post that says the new Pixies stuff is crap.
    Just out of interest, how many gigs do either of you two actually go to each year, and how much music do you own?
    I can’t actually say how many a year, it varies, and I’ve no idea how many in total; my best year I went to thirty nine, and I’ve been going to gigs for forty-four years. So far I’ve got eight between now and June, three in two weeks in April.
    Along with several hundred singles, a couple of hundred albums, and maybe three hundred CD’s, with nearly 16,000 tracks in iTunes.
    I think I know a bit about music.

BigJohn

You think you know about music?

When I pick my 3 yr old grandson up in the car he chants “Stone Roses, Stone Roses” until I put on Stone Roses, The Stone Roses.

I might surprise him next time by playing Second Coming just to see what happens.

cynic-al
    Free Member

From what I’ve seen of Cynic-al and dd’s music tastes, I can’t take seriously any post that says the new Pixies stuff is crap.

Please explain

ourmaninthenorth

how much music do you own?

Er, leaving aside the obvious (why collect ephemeral emotions?), you do realise that those 16000 iTunes tracks you “hold” aren’t owned by you?

I think I know a bit about music.

No, you know what you like. I know what I like, but I’d never tell anyone that what I like* is in any way measurably superior (and certainly never by measuring the size of my record collection).

*Much as I loved Pixies 25 years ago (too young to go to gigs), and even enjoyed their first we-need-the-money reunion, but I’d always favour finding new music over bands I think who are anachronisms.

NZCol

I left my iPad locked with TuneIn going the other day on the 6Music ultimate Smiths playlist as my wife HATES the Smiths. She had no way to turn it off and rang me begging for the passcode !

wordnumb
    Free Member

This thread really needs a trick link to a youtube video of Rick Astley to liven it up.

jaaaaaaaaaam
    Free Member

I’m sure radio 1 or 2 would enjoy your listenership (lol)

grum
    Free Member

I got into Pixies first time around through my older brother but wasn’t really old enough to go to gigs. Saw them in Glasgow a few years ago and really enjoyed it. So there.

Am I right in thinking this new stuff is without Kim Deal?

RustySpanner

I liked ‘the’ Pixies first time round.
    I also, at the time, hated Kylie’s music, cos I was a pretentious little snob.

I’ve grown up a bit since then.
    😀

It’s all just noise, all of it equally as valid to someone.
    No good or bad, just music.

fasthaggis

Al,heads up.

That knob in the middle,give it a twirl.
    You will be amazed 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

Just read Countzeros entire post.

Are you serious? The no. of gigs/albums governs who is right? Jesus Wept.

Grow up.

IMO the new stuff is mediocre tripe compared to the early, its bland and forced, no amount of “glad to a) have a possibility of seeing the band live, and b) see new material being produced.” Changes my view.

No mention of whether the new stuff is any good or not?

I love certain bands, but they’ve all done some shite, its naive and immature to pretend they are flawless.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I really want to like 6Music, but in all honesty its too talky, too po faced and I’m increasingly finding myself listening to Absolute ’cause at least they have some 90’s music that I like. Wish both of them were on FM.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I went to 47 gigs last year. Mind you, 5 of those we’re seeing JLS on their farewell tour.

How many did you go to al, eh? Eh? EH?

sc-xc

I saw Pixies in 1992 (Bizarre Festival in Germany). I didn’t really like them, but I was only there for NMA so I know my opinion counts for nothing!

Travis

For me, it’s quite refreshing.
    I don’t know if it’s because I’m 8 hours in front, and I’ve missed good music for ages, but I like it.

Of course there is going to be something on there, which some people don’t like, but they try and cater for everyone.

binners

You can complain about 6 music, then you listen to the alternative. Nothing like a sense of perspective. It still provides 50% of the most bank account draining combination this side of beer and ebay, when combined with an iTunes account.

Saw the Pixies quite a few times ‘back in the day’, so by that reckoning I’m allowed an opinion. Am I? I’m not quite sure to be honest. Well… here goes…. I’m going to express it anyway. The new Pixies stuff is ****ing ****!!!! It sounds like a 6th former has written it in their bedroom. They top the list of bands that really should have knocked it on the head a long time ago, or just done the Kylie 80’s re-union thing. Is there anything more utterly dispiriting than going to see one of the favourite bands from your youth, and hearing the words ‘…. first, we’re going to play some of our new stuff”?

James Murphy had it nailed: Shut Up and Play the Hits!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Binners, as ever, has it.

midlifecrashes

Just thought I’d PSA this for Pixies fans, tickets still available
    http://www.gigsandtours.com/event/summer-in-the-city-pixies/castlefield-bowl/769344

Just bought mine, for James the following night, you wouldn’t get me in to see The Pixies on purpose.

binners

How can you moan about a radio station that’s just played this at half nine on a Friday morning FFS?!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBShN8qT4lk&feature=kp[/video]

😀

Oh… and I’m bumping up CountZero’s criteria. I’m not going to exhaustively list all the music I ‘own’, … BUT … I went to see Midlake last night (how wanly 6 music is that?!) so I’m hereby decreeing that nobody who hasn’t been to a gig in the last 24 hours is allowed to express an opinion about music! So there! 😛

brassneck

When I pick my 3 yr old grandson up in the car he chants “Stone Roses, Stone Roses” until I put on Stone Roses, The Stone Roses.

I’ve tried so hard with my kids to indoctrinate this, and they all want Prodigy or Beastie Boys (Pauls Boutique which is in no way suitable for them, but was found on the autochanger by one of them and now is the go to disc).

zippykona

It may not be perfect but it’s the best there is.
    If planet rock could guarantee no poodle rock I’d probably listen to that as well.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘6music playlists (whine content)’ is closed to new replies.