Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • 6ft+ers riding medium frames: Is this advice officially dead?
  • stevomcd
    Free Member

I’m 5’11” so usually right on the dividing line between medium/large.

Usually comes down to having a go on the bike, but I’m not that fussy – can usually ride either a medium or a large.

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

I’ll definitely pay more attention to seat tube angle next time, my SB66c on paper looked bang on, if not slightly long compared to my other bikes. When riding however I found the seat post angle to be very slack, so I had to slide the seat forward on the rails to get my normal position (otherwise I got a lot of hamstring pressure on long steep climbs) which then makes it feel perhaps a touch short.

br
    Free Member

At 6’2″ and long arms and legs I find it needs to be a ‘proper’ 20″ frame to remotely fit, consequentially both my bikes are 20″ and have a lot of seatpost – the FS has a 150mm Reverb and I’ve still +50mm sat above the collar.

One thing I find handy on my FS though is that it has a slack (by modern standards) seat angle, which means that when stood up it’s quite short reach but when sat down there is plenty of ‘length’.

renton
    Free Member

I’m 6 foot and have always rode a large except the xl five spot (similar size to a normal large though).

I wouldnt ever dream of riding a medium bike as it would just feel wrong.

However as you know I had a current model large trance and found that to small despite being suitable for someone up to 6ft 3.

benpinnick

At 6’2″ and long arms and legs I find it needs to be a ‘proper’ 20″ frame to remotely fit, consequentially both my bikes are 20″ and have a lot of seatpost – the FS has a 150mm Reverb and I’ve still +50mm sat above the collar.

But that means you could ride a 19 or even an 18 though….

Alex

I’m a little taller than alexsimon (5ft 11) but anatomically I’m a gibbon! Short legs, long arms. Things have changed so much, now I can ride a medium Aeris with a 150mm dropper and a decent length top tube.

I once had a 20inch Inbred… looking back at the pics, I don’t even know how I got on it. I had a Medium Solaris which seemed to fit and just bought a L 2nd hand Trek Stache which also seems to fit. Biggest issue for me is generally standover…

Superficial
    Free Member

I’m 6′ and have always had medium bikes until now. I decided to sign up to the #Enduro hype and blindly ordered a Canyon Strive in Large with Race geometry which means it’s way longer than anything I’ve had before (The ‘race’ geometry option basically adds an inch of top tube on top of the Large size). So far so good. It’s definitely more stable than what I’ve ridden before and on the right trail I’m sure that will help speeds. I can still ‘chuck’ it into corners and I haven’t found anything where the extra length makes it tricky. It takes a bit of getting used to to bunny hop etc but it’s not more difficult – Just different.

So yeah, consider me converted to ‘correctly’ sized bikes.

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘6ft+ers riding medium frames: Is this advice officially dead?’ is closed to new replies.