Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • 69 : here we go again…
  • allankelly

So, after 'Puffer where there were quite a few SS 29ers I thought I might like a 29er SS. Looked into an On-One solution: frame (purple or orange) £153, carbon fork £125, wheels £125 == about £400. That means selling my existing SS 26" kit: 853 Inbred frame, O-O SS wheels, Pace RC31 Ti carbon fork.

So, I'm unlikely to get £400 for that lot (or maybe just plus some other ebaying) and I don't want to sell the 853 Inbred.

Solution: 69 dude! Took the 29er front wheel off the Pompino, put a road wheel and mini-Vs on. Pace carbon is plenty big enough for a 29er as with the 4569er last year. Bought a HUGE 29er tyre: WTB WeirWolf 2.55" ! for £10 off CRC.

Should be a hoot.

Pictures later this week.

Cheers, al.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Doesn't if not **** up the head angle, trail etc, and make a previously sweet handling bike COMPLETELY UNRIDEABLE?

soma_rich
    Free Member

I am doing a similar thing with my 456. I am running a 29er fork and 29er wheel on the front though. Then when I want some travel I will swap the front end for a long travel fork and 26" wheel.

vinnyeh

I want to see what that tyre looks like on a Pompino rim..

allankelly

Cynic: You're right, but it doesn't matter. 🙂

For example, the Pomp has a crap Suntour suspension fork on to avoid punctures in potholes (it really helps) and that raises the fork crown by several inches, which should make it "totally unrideable". But it's fine. The 29er wheel was on the Pomp so I could run a disc on the front. Everyone thinks it looks really horrible, I love it.

The 4569er you could argue is "meant" for this sort of treatment because it's had angle is for longer forks than the Inbred, but I bet it'll be just fine.

Here's the 4569er from last year:
    http://www.flickr.com/search/show/?q=4569er&w=12602268%40N05

Cheers, al.

TheSwede
    Free Member

I hope you have small feet.

M6TTF
    Free Member

69ers – only a mother could love em!

allankelly

Have you ridden one? They're dead good. Big-wheel rollability and flicky too. I find I lose the flickability with a 29er.

Also it's cheap I just had to buy a wheel and tyre.

al.

john_l
    Free Member

I find I lose the flickability with a 29er

have you been riding some crap 29ers then? That Inbred up there looks like it'll flop all over the place. I'm sure it's fine though.

allankelly

Ah well, I'm happy.

The photo exaggerates the perspective. Maybe you'll like this one better!

Cheers, al.

epicyclo

Love it! Yet another reason to keep the Pompino 🙂

BTW you should look at getting the Scandal frame while they're cheap – you won't regret it.

allankelly

First ride, minus massive balloon tyre… Sorry about the mudguards, I couldn't be ar5ed taking them off just now.

Cheers, al.

miketually
    Free Member

minus massive balloon tyre

Aww, I wanted to see that.

allankelly

Well, I strongly suspect it's going to look a lot like this one that Big Pete posted in another thread…
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/lets-see-those-29ers-and-69ers

Cheers, al.

Northwind

"Doesn't if not **** up the head angle, trail etc, and make a previously sweet handling bike COMPLETELY UNRIDEABLE?"

It's not so different from adding a longer fork. Inbred's supposed to be good up to 130mm (it isn't, but that's by the by) so a shorter travel fork and taller wheel should work fine.

miketually
    Free Member

The 26" On-One forks are (or were anyway) about an inch shorter than a sagged 4" suspension fork, so bike with them fitted have a pretty steep head angle. Keeping the 26" forks and adding a slightly bigger wheel shouldn't mess the handling up really.

cynic-al
    Free Member

It's not so different from adding a longer fork.

I was kidding, but it is a bit different though, enough so that some 29er forks have different rake.

julianwilson
    Free Member

2 or 3 years ago Dirt mag reviewed a 69-er from on-one that was just made from a 26" frame and a 29" fork and they raved about it. Assuming it wasn't an elaborately worded april fool, perhaps Brant will pop along and tell us about it.

tracknicko
    Free Member

goppingly ugly.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

this wasn't the kind of 69 I was hoping for 🙁

granny_ring

Think I'm going to try this with my old cannondale frame at some point

nunuboogie
    Free Member

Think singular cycles make a fork to work with a 69er?

epicyclo

Of course, if you really want to have the benefit of a 29er front, but stay on 26", stick a Surly Endomorph on the front.

To really offend the STW mob, do this with your Pompino.

psychle
    Free Member

I'm trying this 69'er lark myself… still not finished, but here it is:

I think it's looking quite good, using the Singular 69'er specific fork mentioned above. Hopefully it rides well, should be finished for the weekend all going to plan 🙂

bigyinn
    Free Member

Im sorry, i realise this will have been asked previously, but WHY?

allankelly

Bigyinn: You genuinely get 29er rollability without buying very much at all. Also it's just different and fun to play with.

I've owned a 29er Singular Swift which was great – sold to fund another project but I'd have it back. Found it was for non-technical stuff, wonderful on long days out over the hills. The 69er gives you (well, me) a nice compromise.

Best 69er I tried was the Singular Hummingbird at SSUK 09. Borrowed it pissed on the Sat evening, found the little pump track near the campsite and had a ball. Passed it round all our party who all loved it.

The 4569er above was close to as good, and I'm looking forward to giving the Inbred 69er build a proper hammering. 10 mins round the local woods so far and it seems good. Big tyre in the post from CRC. (That's a 29er 2.1" Vapor on there just now).

al.

EDIT: Here's that Hummingbird 69er
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/singularcycles/2728899823/

Andy-R

I second how nice the Hummingbird is – I'm well pleased with mine anyway.
    Seems nimble and flickable but stable at the same time (if that's possible?).

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘69 : here we go again…’ is closed to new replies.