Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 68mm bb, what spacers and which side for HT II?
  • granny_ring

Swapping bits over for a mate.
    Frame at the mo has what it looks like is 2×2.5mm drive side and 2.5 non drive but when I put the spindle through there’s not enough of the spline to put the crank on.
    Or have I not pushed it through enough?
    XTR chainset so not ‘given it loads’ yet with the rubber mallet!

Thanks

jimw
    Free Member

You have the right spacer placings, so may need a gentle push to seat

granny_ring

Cheers.
    I’ve tried a gentle push, just wondered how much effort with the rubber mallet is needed, spindle is greased too.

njee20
    Free Member

More persuasion required.

granny_ring

Any preferred technique, or just batter it?

jimw
    Free Member

Which xtr chainset is it?
    Edit:
    Not the best quality but thinking about how much to hammer reminded me of this

granny_ring

M960 & an XT bottom bracket.

jimw
    Free Member

I have one of those and it can be tight on new bb. I use a soft piece of pine on the narrow steel rim of the shaft that protrudes slightly from the inset crank arm and tap gently-if that makes sense!

granny_ring

Great I’ll try that cheers.

njee20
    Free Member

I just **** it with a rubber mallet.

jimw
    Free Member

I just **** it with a rubber mallet.

Yeh, TBH so do I on unpainted XT etc. but the M960’s have a coloured lacquer coat that I am much too much of a tart to want to damage

igm

Just have a re-measure of that bottom bracket shell too.

Just in case it’s grown overnight.

njee20
    Free Member

M960s are just anodised, like all other Shimano cranks. It’s just a shiny anodising, and it wears just as fast with heel rub.

granny_ring

Jims tip worked cheers.
    Just got to work out the arse about face reverse gears whatever they’re called, where the cable is slack in 1st.

njee20
    Free Member

Low normal/rapid rise.

Aka ‘wrong’

jimw
    Free Member

I quite liked RapidRise with combined XTR M 960 brake/shifters ( I know, often voted most useless ‘innovation’ in mountain biking but I found it quite intuitive), but when I decided to upgrade the brakes and used the RR rear mech with conventional shifter I couldn’t get my head round it so changed the rear mech. Unfortunately I had just replaced it as the old one had been damaged.

So njee is right in my opinion about it being wrong if with conventional shifter.

Anyone want a hardly used XTR M970 RR rear mech?

granny_ring

Well I got there in the end, mate seems happy with it.
    Cheers for advice all.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘68mm bb, what spacers and which side for HT II?’ is closed to new replies.