Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 68/73mm BB spacers and GXP oddity
  • Stoner
    Free Member

Replacing the GXP BB on Mrs Stoner’s 68mm shell TT frame and following BB instructions Im sure* it says to use the two supplied spacers on a 68mm BB shell.

But it’s obvious that if I do, as I tighten the NDS crank on to the axle that it’s loading the bearings. If I remove the spacers, and tighten the crank to it’s stop, the bearings are unloaded and there is no play – i.e. it all fits perfectly.

Do I have a GXP crank that will ONLY fit on a 68mm shell with no spacers? Is it a special crank? As it would appear there’s no way it could fit to a 73mm shell as the axle would be too short.

* the graphics are hardly definitive

simondbarnes

Road frames / bbs don’t use spacers (they are all 68mm if BSA threaded)

Stoner
    Free Member

Road frames

or you mean road cranks are designed around 68mm shells only (the ones with bonded axles anyway). I never knew that.

school day today. Thanks

brant
    Free Member

It’s sort of because road is normalised around 130mm back end. Even though all disc road bikes use 135/142 back ends which everyone seems to ignore.

AD

I had exactly the same problem with my Planet X XLS! Strangely this works fine with one spacer but if you used two, everything seized.
    I’ll be watching the thread with interest.

paton
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NufgDt2zwXk[/video]

Stoner
    Free Member

AD did you try it with no spacers?

AD

I did – no spacers seemed not to allow the crank to be drawn far enough onto the axle to touch the bearings. It really seems to need a single spacer.

Since one spacer worked, despite all the diagrams suggesting that it shouldn’t, I have ran it like that for the last six months without any problem. Spacer is installed on NDS purely to improve the chain line (it is a 1×11 set up).

Stoner
    Free Member

how odd

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘68/73mm BB spacers and GXP oddity’ is closed to new replies.