Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • 6805 bearings… What/where from/how much?
  • mboy
    Free Member

Searched on the internet, didn't find much, had a quick search on ebay, seems you can pay between about £1.50 each and about £13 per bearing. OK, the more expensive ones are SKF which possibly makes them worthwhile, but…

I've got several hubs over 4 bikes that all run 6805 bearings, as well as HT2 BB's on all 4 bikes (which I believe also run 6805 bearings), many of which are very close to death, or are already dead! So I could probably do with 10/12 bearings straight away…

I'd like pretty good quality ones if they're gonna last longer (yes, I intend to fill them with some decent grease too, and I know that full compliment aren't so great, and that ball size is important etc.), but are SKF worth it? And if so, where's cheapest? And if not SKF, then who? And how much should they cost?

HELP! 😕

Northwind

I trust SKF so I use them, but no doubt you could do well for less, they're not cheap. Oh, also they've got a half grease fill, I'm assuming it's a bearing with history in other less wet applications so (looks around for TJ- sees his chance) extra grease is IMO a very good idea on these particular bearings. But the seals are good so easy enough to refit.

FAG also make good bearings, stop laughing up the back, and Koyo are decent though I'm not sure they do a 6805.

I'm pretty tempted to try the cheap ones in a BB some time but for my wheels I stuck with what I know.

Warrenpfo
    Free Member

Funny you should bring this up i have just re packed my 6805 BB bearings and was wondering if its not time for me to start looking at getting some new ones. One thing that would be good to know is once you have removed all the outed plastics how the hell do you get the bearing out?

I have an old BB and have tried screw drivers, punches and other things but cannot work it out.

Enduro Bearings are very good but not cheap.

Timmo
    Free Member

it may be worth popping into your local motor factors and asking them if there is a bearing suppliers they use?
    reason for the suggestion is that i did likewise a while back for a strange size, found a Very good local shop called 'Eriks' got in exactly what i needed in a coupl eof days,
    i know now they have changed to a minimum of 10 amounts but that may not be too much of an issue for you??
    link to Eriks (bit of googling for it!)
    http://www.eriks.co.uk/Bearings/

have used both of these for info searching before,
    http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/index.php?cPath=3&osCsid=e80dac2ed6a466abfff59937b78f12d7
    http://www.vxb.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?
    would guess if youve googled you may have foudn them anyways!!

mtbmaff
    Free Member

Hi Mark,

Maverick front hubs? Seen them at £25 pair on ebay, SKF.

Bought some thru' work from our bearing supplier and they were £11 each for cash.

I have had a look around and couldn't find them any cheaper.

Matt.

Maverick still great, shock in for service at the moment.

mboy
    Free Member

Hi Matt

Yeah got a plethora of Maverick front hubs now, and also couple of HT2 BB's on their way out (they all use the same bearing size).

Saw SKF for £25 a pair on ebay, but that's bloody steep to my mind. So was wondering if I can get hold of anything else as good (or almost as good) for significantly cheaper perhaps.

I have an old BB and have tried screw drivers, punches and other things but cannot work it out.

Enduro Bearings are very good but not cheap.

Specific press tools required to be fair. No point in spending a load of money on decent bearings either if you're only gonna pop em back into place with a mallet, cos they'd knacker in no time!

Oh and heard Enduro bearings aren't worth the money. Not as good as SKF, but almost the same price was what I got told. Will try and check out FAG and Koyo as mentioned above if I can.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘6805 bearings… What/where from/how much?’ is closed to new replies.