Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 661 wrist wrap or the pro version?
  • jedimaster
    Free Member

Currently after some wrist protection and i’m stuck between the standard and the pro version of the 661 wrist wrap.
    Any experiences?
    Is “pro” worth the extra?
    Also should i go for 2013 or 2014 version?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/s?q=wrist+wrap

link to all 4 ^

thanks
    Daz

nuke

Broke my wrist last April in a riding accident so was interested in a bit of protection when I got riding again….firstly tried the standard but it makes it difficult to put a glove on so that went back. Pro is alright but the lycra that goes around the wrist is coming apart…less than a years use (albeit I used it on every ride I went on). Can’t really rate any and they don’t look any different for 2014; I suppose the Pro could be ok for a bit of extra protection (It does feel like your wrist is held more rigid) and its fairly cheap, just don’t expect it to last. Wearing one might give you ‘peace of mind’ when riding but I’m not entirely convinced how much help they’d be if I fell off again….guess some is better than none

jedimaster
    Free Member

thanks nuke, might just order both pro versions to see what they’re like 🙂

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

I bought the pro version after breaking my wrist last year. To be honest, I didn’t end up wearing it. You can strap it up nice, tight and rigid but it’s a little awkward pulling your jersey over it and getting your glove on. That might be jersey and glove specific. I think it would be much more suitable for summer short sleeved riding.

After a 6 month lay off I’m now 5 rides in and apart from the odd ache and the need to sometimes shake it out mid ride my wrist has been OK and probably benefitted from not using the wrist strap.

Horses for courses though.

spicer
    Free Member

Got the pro, easy to get on and comfy. Elastic bit is falling apart as said above, still works fine though.
    When I do it up tight enough so that it provides a really solid amount of support, it cuts off circulation, and doesn’t feel like it’s doing as much as it could once loosened.

I did fall off the other week, the force went directly through my palm rather than bending my hand back so the wrist wrap didn’t really do anything, as it’ll just help to stop your hand bending back. Does give me peace of mind though, and I’d rather ride with it just in case. I dont find it uncomfy or anything- dont even notice it’s there. This is after a scaphoid fracture and surgery.

Am looking for something better for a trip to the alps this summer!

jedimaster
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice, ended up ordering two different “pro” versions, will see which one is better 🙂

jedimaster
    Free Member

Got the two pro versions yesterday, The design is exactly the same. There are only three differences.

1. the 2014 version’s eva protective pad is 9mm thick compared to 8mm on the 2013
    2. the sleeve into which you insert your wrist is thicker on the 2014 version
    3. The graphics on straps are slightly different

toys19
    Free Member

send both back and get the 2013 non pro, its better. I have had pro and non pro, the pro’s do not give as good a protection as the non pro.

jedimaster
    Free Member

oh ok, what’s the difference?

toys19
    Free Member

The non pro has a bit that goes over your thumb, so the back protection gets pulled up over your hand, very supportive and £7.99 😀

eshershore
    Free Member

Owned a number of 661 pieces for wrist and ankle protection.

For wrists found them too restrictive and was put onto nsd “powerball” gyro by a bmx buddy. Used it for 2 weeks, then riding bmx again where wrist brace did bugger all to rehab my wrist

gaz552
    Free Member

What about the Troy Lee Designs WS 5205 wrist brace? It looks pretty supportive.

jedimaster
    Free Member

esher, getting a power ball gyro thing is also on my list haha

the reviews of the non pro say that the velcros are too short

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I had a non pro (older 2013 version), it was good as a wrist brace, but you cant wear gloves with it really.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘661 wrist wrap or the pro version?’ is closed to new replies.