Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 661 Kyle Straits Vs EVO Vs Evo Lite
  • richc
    Free Member

As I am off to Spain in a few weeks with my missus for a riding holiday, I am looking at pads for her as she doesn’t want to whack her knee’s/elbows on the 1st day out and write off the holiday (as she has done before 🙁 )

So I was wondering has anyone used the 661 EVO’s and/or EVO Lites? and if so what do you think of them? as she has used Dainese Pads in the past but finds them too hot and uncomfortable for all day rides especially when its hot.

Also whats the protection like? and how are they after a few falls? (ie: are they holding up well without tearing)

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

richc, I’m using the Evo knee and elbow pads. Don’t use them that often – only on the scarier rides and have nothing to compare them to, but they seem comfortable, not too hot and do seem to stay in place. Longest ride I used them on was about 5.5 hours

richc
    Free Member

have you fallen on them yet? and if so what do you think of the protection?

The Evo Lites look good, but I am not sure if they won’t have enough protection if you crash hard.

simonm
    Free Member

I’ve got some Kyle knee and Evo elbows, stopped me getting hurt on sunday in the Peak. I still prefer the Kyle knee ones over Evo knee. They are tighter fitting than full length pads but for some reason you dont feel the heat too much when there on just your knees.
    I’ve also got a set of Dianese still offer better protection.

richc
    Free Member

She has some dainese pad, for when she is trying stuff but ideally wants some pads for XC rides, which aren’t too hot, so the Evo Lites look interesting.

However reading on MTBR it seems that most people are split over which one is actually better for XC trail riding, the EVO or EVO lite

Northwind

The Kyle Straits are brilliant… All-day comfy, impressively protective (they have side-knock protection too, as well as huge front pads). They’re quite bulky looking but they don’t run too hot. Mine have taken a few light falls without any damage at all, as well as one decent one when I performed a flying dismount over the bars and drove both knees straight into the gear shifters, very glad I was padded for that one… I guess they’ll be a bit sweaty in full summer but I’ve never had any issues so far.

(not like the chicken wings elbow pads, which are basically elbow insulators, and somehow absorb more sweat than a bucket could)

I’ve not used the Evos, but I’m not entirely sure I see the point, custard-tech is great stuff for locations that need smaller padding or flexibility but knee pads don’t really call for it. Unless you want to hide your pads under trousers or something I guess.

richc
    Free Member

I have some Kyle Straits and really rate them, I guess I am trying to work out if the EVOs provide as much protection (or close to) but are lighter, cooler to ride in and more forgettable (as in you forget you have them on).

Because if they are then she is more likely to use them, rather than just try them a few times and then leave them at home.

cx_monkey

This may swing it – EVO Lite’s aren’t available in Europe – they don’t pass CE testing….

richc
    Free Member

really, any idea why they fail?

Reign_Man
    Free Member

Have you looked at the POC pads?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I have used both Straits and Evos in Spain. I didn’t think the Evos were signifantly less bulkly and if anything the Straits are more comfy. One thing to note is that the side padding on the Straits can interfere more with cables if they are routed on the top tube and you like honking out of the saddle. I’ve torn my Straits as a result of getting caught on cable stops. That said the finish on my Evos doesn’t seem too hot and they seem to be getting a bit frayed already

cynic-al
    Free Member

Honestly POC would rip the neck off of that protection and **** down its throat.

Northwind

POC are very good. But the Joint PVD knee looks like the nearest equivalent to the little Evos but they’re still larger and more enclosing I think.

“really, any idea why they fail?”

Well, the CE tests all pre-date D30 and similiar materials, so that’s been causing some probs- the D30 motorbike pads were revised so they could pass the CE tests, but the revisions actually made them less effective apparently- reduced their ability to deal with loads above the testing requirements. So, it could just be that again. Then again, it might not.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘661 Kyle Straits Vs EVO Vs Evo Lite’ is closed to new replies.