Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • 661 Kyle Straits too bulky – what about Veggie Wraps?
  • anlegov
    Free Member

Tried some of the Kyles on in the LBS, and they were just HUGE. Anyone got the Veggie Wraps and reckon they are OK for general falling-off-the-bike activities and riding up and down hills for a few hours on a hot day?

Or some other option that’s better than both the above?

JxL
    Free Member

NO NO NO!!!

I had veggie wraps at first, found them extremely uncomfortable in either medium or large size (medium felt too small, yet large was WAYYYY to big).

After that I bought Kyle Straits which feel wonderful, you completely forget you have them on and do not feel bulky.

Maybe have a look at Evo pads, but they cost a lot.

TheDoog
    Free Member

Veggies are massive, and just wrong wrong wrong.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I get on fine with straits for general riding, except on really sweaty rides

anlegov
    Free Member

Hmmmm. Pity. Those Veggie Wraps look so slim and protective in the pic. I will have to tell LBS not to order them in for me. Wooooah! But those Kyles are like leg irons!

ozzybmx
    Free Member

661 EVO’s , i would say from what i hear they are the next best to Kyles , i have had a pair now for a year and use them on EVERY ride regardless , i ride XC/AM and some FR/DH.

Some 1000m+ climbs and then downs , the pads have saved me hands down 30 times in the past year. When , if they ever wear out i will buy another set . I have the evo elbows and now have a set of evo gloves coming , awesome bits of kit .

Dont bother with the newish evo lites , i hear they’re not worth the cash.

EDIT: just reading post again , the EVO’s are not cheap at all … but they paid for themself the first fall i had , i had a massive black bruise on my thigh above where the pads stopped , i believe i would have smashed my knee if i hadnt been wearing them. I can pedal for 7 hours in them no worrys.

retro83
    Free Member

i’ve got the veggies and like them. Always takes me a while to get them in the right position but once that’s done you don’t notice them.

pantsonfire
    Free Member

There is a big seam running inside the pads on both sides of your knee which drove me mad after wearing them for an hour plus they are sweatier than a sauna

The Kyles are a little bit heavier but dont feel heavier when your wearing them they are still sweaty but its bearable plus the velcro straps are better

househusband

Had the Veggies, now have the Straits and the difference is chalk and cheese. The former were restrictive, hot and sweaty – the latter aren’t!

anlegov
    Free Member

OK. The deal is done. I just went out and ordered the Kyles. Thanks for the advice lads.

pantsonfire
    Free Member

I wish I had worn my Kyles this morning I have a lovely big gouge just below my right knee now that wont stop bleeding. Its going to make a lovely scar though especially if I pick the scab 🙂

schrickvr6
    Free Member

The bike outlet have got the patriots going dirt cheap.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

661 are huge??

**** me, how small are your legs??

😯

bruneep

cinnamon_girl

S’cuse me – are you talking about the knee pads? Have just got some half price Veggie knee ones from Wiggle and some Veggie shin pads too. Just wondering whether I should send them back in view of a lot of your comments. I can’t see Kyle Strait shin pads?

Thank you so much!

anlegov
    Free Member

My legs aren’t skinny – at all. But strapping on the Kyles made it look like I was a victim of rickets. But, OK, I have bought them now, and for much more than Bike Outlet are charging :-(. Someone please tell me they are cheats, crooks, unreliable, or at least that their postage charges are outrageous.

bruneep

here….

knee pads only

cinnamon_girl

Where do you get these Kyle Straits from please?

anlegov
    Free Member

schrickvr6 says they are dead cheap at Bike Outlet, which appears to be true. But too late for me.

bruneep

get from here Si Paton is top bloke

JxL
    Free Member

Ebay is not too bad either – paid around £30 I think

schrickvr6
    Free Member

The Straits and the Patriots are the same thing just different colours btw.

£26.40 posted

deus

there are also slim versions of the Kyle Straits, dunno how much slimmer they are though

gamo
    Free Member

Have seen the slim ones on chain reaction, but the 661 site describes
    kyle straits as slim? bike outlet price is great though, freestyle extreme
    were doing evo’s for £39.99 recently,

Coyote
    Free Member

How do they size up? I’m pretty average build at 5’9″. Take medium in the Race Face Rally FR. That’s a really good price at Bike Outlet.

grumm
    Free Member

Just ordered from Bike Outlet – nice one. I am a large in the 661 race pads so I assume I will be the same in these.

Rollo
    Free Member

got me the patriots today, same as the straits but a touch cheaper. plus the lbs is nice and freindly and had em in stock! they hadd the veggies in but tought they were a tighter/restrictive fit. less bulky but less comfy too. back to back it was a no brainer.

iainc

I have tried the med and large and am somewhere in between on the Kyle Straits – can any wearers advise which is better – slightly tight or a touch loose ? I am guessing that slightly tight will get pretty restrictive after some time riding ??

Thanks

gamo
    Free Member

iainc my brother has the same prob and went with the lge, they
    now slide down on rough stuff(so most of the time!).

househusband

I found the sizing guide from the 661 website very accurate when I ordered my Kyle Straits; measured above and below my knees (if I recall) and ordered the XL’s – they’re non-restrictive, very comfortable and don’t fall down.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘661 Kyle Straits too bulky – what about Veggie Wraps?’ is closed to new replies.