Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)
  • 661 'Do a maxxis' Objective marketing content
  • P-Jay
    Free Member

Saw it on twitter last night, thought ooh she’s pretty, might have even zoomed in a bit, also saw STW tweeting about the 70’s or something in reference to it.

I refuse to get all high and mighty about it now because I’d be a massive hypocrite.

Advertisers have always used attractive people to promote their wares and probably always will because it works – if it stops working they’ll stop.

nedrapier

haven’t seen the ad, skimmed the linked article, images blocked:

to create pictures that were objectifying and would satisfy the male gaze at it’s very worst. This was no accident, and we fail to believe the company have succeeded in an ideological 360 in the last 24 hours.

The “male gaze at it’s very worst” is the gaze that’s drawn to physically attractive women?

Not the gaze that’s draws some to murder, domestic violence or child abuse?

And a “360” leaves you pointing in the same direction.

Not saying that the advert was right, or it shouldn’t be criticised, but if you’re going to criticise it, do it sensibly or people won’t take you seriously.

Edit – re read it (still not seen the ad!) most of it is quite sensible. I just skimmed the conclusion, which isn’t, really.

Sui
    Free Member

yawn.. she’s tidy.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

She’s very nice.

What was the question?

Junkyard
    Free Member

i Know amazing a good looking model, whatever next ?

They shoudl not have done it they have apologised and they hopefully wont do it again

Lets all move on even the knuckle draggers.

saxabar
    Free Member

@nedrapier

The “male gaze” is an academic term which means how media, film and visual content around us (such as ads) is structured around a masculine viewer. In general, media culture serves our interests rather than women’s.

(I’m presuming you are male)

nedrapier

saxabar – that does ring bells. But I wouldn’t expect it’s so widely used and understood that it could be used in an article like this without some confusion.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Groundhog day. Thought it odd though that Total Womens Cycling chose to show 3 images in their complaint article.

poah
    Free Member

my god, a company in using models to advertise products shocker. these bloggers have no life.

gerti
    Free Member

It’s just a bit shit. My 7 year old daughter rides in one of their helmets. If she saw that picture she wouldn’t understand it. To her, knee pads are for stopping you hurting yourself when you’re riding your bike. Why would you wear them with no clothes on, sitting on a step?

I guess these days we’re seeing more examples of companies who are willing to exchange part of their profit margin for ethics. Ethics is an increasingly effective marketing tool in itself, although obviously I’m aware that the ‘sex sells’ option will deliver bigger profits for less effort.

Disappointed to see 661 taking the easy route.

JoB
    Free Member

shame they didn’t get outraged a year ago when the picture first appeared, the ‘i’ve only just seen this and am appalled’ aspect of it kind of takes the edge off

still, an interesting example of how social media works and the positive aspects it can have

chip
    Free Member

I am just glad Adele Mitchell wears fox.

scaled
    Free Member

With all the amazing female role models in mountain biking these days they get some random model to get her kit off is ridiculous.

Sponsor an up and coming rider, get them to wear your pads and win something ffs.

I get really grumpy with this shit as a dad of a young girl.

oldtalent
    Free Member

Very nice.
    I can hear the professionally offended wringing their hands from here though.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

At least the mag toned down the photo chosen for their lip balm article(edit: that might be as simple as the crass photos that appear next to article lags on here too and outside (?) their control) and the article about why riding with women is better was just tongue in cheek 😉

Still too late in the day for cappuccino

“Considerably bigger buns pads” ….. 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

“Professionally Offended” 😀

Didn’t take long. A term often used by knuckle draggers.

chip
    Free Member

I am more offended by the use of the word stoked in their apology.

richmtb

I think its pretty poor as well.

Apart from the obvious sexist element its just bloody lazy.

Can’t be arsed coming up with some original marketing? Don’t worry a chick with her kit off will save you the bother of trying too hard to be creative.

chip
    Free Member

Knuckle draggers

Didn’t take long. A term often used by The professionally offended.

TheDoctor
    Free Member

“Professionally Offended”

More like “Permanently Offended” 😉

br
    Free Member

So, are we to accept that NO ONE who is in least bit attractive is allowed to be used in any form of advertising, and never in any way that is believed to be OT (off topic)?

Does that also mean that attractive newsreaders/TV weather-folk etc are also banned?

PC bo**ocks!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

If 661 is aimed at rednecks I’d say they have it spot-on.

Saying that, while I am fully in favour of equality, I really don’t like the word ’empower’ either. I’m sure the final para of the article could use phrases such as ‘support female athletes’ or ‘provide positive role models’ to far better effect.

Northwind

Not offended, just disappointed.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

So, are we to accept that NO ONE who is in least bit attractive is allowed to be used in any form of advertising, and never in any way that is believed to be OT (off topic)?

I feel the point is being missed.

chip
    Free Member

Who was giving jivehoney a kicking over his use of the term girl on the cricketers thread.

scotroutes

Must be a girls bike. It’s pink.

In
    Before
    The
    Straw
    Man

bearnecessities

Glad to see the front garden’s been strimmed.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

chip – Member
    Knuckle draggers

Can’t even make their own posts up.

chip
    Free Member

Glad to see the front garden’s been strimmed.

How can you tell, she’s clearly wearing shorts.

jamj1974

This again….

Let’s have some more noise from the “It doesn’t matter sexualising female bodies to sell stuff – because the women doing it are empowered, even if it perpetuates a view of women that is unhealthy for society and maintains a discourse that women are the lower-status sexual playthings of men – but I don’t care because I love tits and that’s all that matters.” school.

bearnecessities

Do you really have the energy to go through all this again?!

jamj1974

Nope.

bearnecessities

Thank God; you pass the ‘normal person’ test 🙂

jonba
    Free Member

Has the Assos lady been made redundant?

poah
    Free Member

Apart from the obvious sexist element its just bloody lazy.

how is it sexist?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Anyone care to cross reference the supporters in this thread, with the outraged about misogyny types in my cologne sex attackers thread? To see how many hypocritical cockwombles there are in this thread?

gobuchul
    Free Member

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Can a technologically literate person create one of those crowd funding pages so that we can buy Jezza some of these nice knee pads to go with his new bike?

chip
    Free Member

Anyone care to cross reference the supporters in this thread, with the outraged about misogyny types in my cologne sex attackers thread? To see how many hypocritical cockwombles there are in this thread?

Please explain this comment for the hard of thinking. I don’t see the connection with this image and group sexual assault or sexual assault in general.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘661 'Do a maxxis' Objective marketing content’ is closed to new replies.