Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • 650b tyres for winter, where?
  • didgerman
    Free Member

Need to lose the summery tyres that came on my Whyte, any ideas apart from schwalbe? Had nics before and they were fine on 26, so happy to go back, just wondering where the more mud capable tyres are? Getting gloopy….

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

Same trouble. Only got a nobby nic myself which great for all conditions except the gloop! Pissed me off this morning. Spun out a few times on the muddy inclines then struggle to get moving again too!

didgerman
    Free Member

Same. We need them pronto…

banks
    Free Member

Magic Mary from schwable.

didgerman
    Free Member

Maxxis High Roller II DH Tyre on front?

didgerman
    Free Member

Yeah I’ve seen the magic mary, looks like it’ll do. But where is it for sale? Not much out yet…..

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

I nearly ripped my nobby nic off and set fire to it on the trail today! It’s gonna be the death of me that thing if I don’t get something else soon. Having to push up relatively simple stuff I’ve blasted up a million times and my back end is drifting on the descents too. It’s a total slick in the mud.

excitable1
    Free Member

Anyone tried the Michelin’s ? The Grip R comes in 2.25 and 2.35 widths.

They’ve got loads of new tyres coming out (all in 650b size) that they’ve developed with Fabien B. Not available until April though ?!!

schmiken

Maxxis Beaver from nextdaytyres?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Before you buy anything, take another 5 psi out of both front and back and try again. A tyre needs to deform to grip, and to shed mud. If you are running summer pressures at slower winter speeds, the tyre may not be deforming enough.

Conti MK2 black chilli is now available in 650b 2.4.

I’m still getting away with Dampfs but when they start balling up all the time, I’ll switch to the MK2s, as they have more paddle-like centre blocks and larger gaps between blocks which makes them shed more easily.

Northwind

You know what’s excellent in mud? About 50 different 26 inch tyres 😉 Already hearing a lot of peeved 650b enduroists looking at the winter season.

Is there a 650b Minion? They can be trouble in really claggy mud but they work better than most up to that point, certainly better than highrollers and mountain kings.

ahwiles
    Free Member

what Northwind says – you must have some old 26 wheels that will fit just fine…?

scottfitz
    Free Member

You know what’s excellent in mud? About 50 different 26 inch tyres

Yep I’m sorted for the winter 😀

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

Stuck a high roller II on the back end. Was ploughing through mud like a tank last night, making light work of stuff I was pushing over on the nobby nic. However, on the flip side it feels like I’m towing a caravan and I can barely lift my bike over a fence anymore! Frustration continues…

bloodsexmagik
    Free Member

nextdaytyres.co.uk

maxxis beaver, schwalbe dirty dan or magic mary… take yer pick.

granny_ring

Have you looked at ze german sites like bikediscount etc?
    Not saying they have but they’re pretty good for the 26″ stuff 🙂

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

Cheers bsm but they have no stock in any of them till January.

missnotax
    Free Member

Northwind – Yep. There is a 650b minion… 🙂

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

I notice the Magic Mary and Conti Trail Kings are available in a few places now.

They both seem quite heavy tho, what do you reckon is reasonable weight for a 650b all rounder?

bland

And folk are worried they won’t be able to get 26″ tyres

Chuckles to himself

andyrm
    Free Member

Onza Ibex is available in 650B – running the 26″ ones myself and they’ve been absolutely spot on even in our greasy, slippy Bristol mud and wet roots.

Cheap too at about £30 an end from Evans 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

Beavers are great, 2.2’s due any day now aswell

mudmonster
    Free Member

No slicks either for that matter.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

i think ive cracked it with a Hans Dampf Pacestar anyway, as opposed to my HD trailstar up front. grips well, rolls well, isnt too heavy and tubeless was a doddle…

Frankers
    Free Member

Geax Gato are a great fast rolling winter tyre, due in soon at WIGGLE

james
    Free Member

Yet another reason to hold off 650b then until its actually the standard then

No Storm or Bontager MudX I’m guessing?
    Trek and Specialized don’t (yet?) do 650b bikes I think?

Northwind

andyrm – Member

Onza Ibex is available in 650B

It supposedly exists but can’t be bought.

Magic Mary looks like it might cut it but it’s not a mud tyre, it’s designed as an intermediate and has pretty low knobbles (and being a soft-compound schwalbe no doubt will be worn out by the end of the first climb)

mudmonster – Member

No slicks either for that matter.

Supposed to be a Kojak and a Supermoto coming soon.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘650b tyres for winter, where?’ is closed to new replies.