Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • 650b thing
  • larrythelathe
    Free Member

So popped into my local shop and was told the whole world is going 650b
    And shimano will be backing it exclusively?

Anyone know how true this is? Is the 29er dead?
    Glad I kept my 26″ bikes!

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Your local shop is as confused as everyone else.
    650b is not taking over. 29er is not dead.

26″ will become rarer on new bikes in the future though.

Drac

Time you found a new shop, 650b has been floating around for ages and more than Shimano make parts.

larrythelathe
    Free Member

Shops alright friendly chaps but very expensive for parts.
    Helped me out a few times when I have been in a jam.

Dont think I have ever seen a actual 650 bike

camwba96
    Free Member

The 29er is far from dead…

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Where do they keep their Crystal ball? and will they tell us this weeks lottery numbers?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

It’s possible to have several successful designs being ridden without the world ending

wrecker
    Free Member

I’m 650b “curious”. Never ridden one, but I didn’t like the 29ers I’ve tried. The difference between 650b and 26″ is so small that I may like it. Ill wait a couple of years before investing though. Buying new forks and wheels is too big an investment to enter early. What exactly can shimano exclusively adapt? It’s only their wheels which would change and they’re not massively popular amongst MTBers as there are better options.

steviemtb
    Free Member

One thing is for sure when it come to ripping us off mountain biking industry is a world leader , 9,10,11 speed, 26,29,650b . Don’t be nieve its about oe thing . MAKE MORE MONEY

Diane
    Free Member

Er, could you tell me like I’m a five year old, what a 650b is please?

shortcut

Bored!

Oh and they are talking pooh!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

650b looks like a 26″ wheeled bike with proper tyres on (had my heckler up against one with some skinny xc things on it and the wheels were about the same size) it’s around 27.bit”

It’s purpose is to allow the 29r evangelists to come back closer to 26″ without admitting they were wrong (they can be very stubbon) for all the talk of the demise of 26 it’s still alive and kicking on most of the bikes in the world, it’s only those who change bikes faster than their pants that are truly rocking it.

Shimano make very few wheel size specific parts (eg Frames, forks) I think the have some rebadged rims these days. So to say shimano is making 650b parts is bull…

I think you must have gone in on a slow day when they were playing who can BS the longest.

bwaarp
    Free Member

It wouldn’t be the first time an LBS knew **** all about mountain biking.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It wouldn’t be the first time an LBS knew **** all about mountain biking.

TBH it doesn’t happen as frequently as STW knowing **** all about it either 🙂

tazzymtb

Er, could you tell me like I’m a five year old, what a 650b is please?

*sits Diane down for a story with milk and a biscuit before bedtime*

once upon a time there was a little wheel, he got fed up of getting stuck in ruts and rooty bits.

One sunny day he found a giant wheel rumbling along over all the things he hated and thought “if only I could be like him”

his mummy and daddy and all the other little wheels laughed and said that he was perfect just the way he was and no-one would want to play with him if he was big and slow and ugly.

deep inside, the little wheel knew that there had to be another way, so he took a big deep breath and held it in…..and he grew

and grew

until he was bigger than all the other little wheels,

but not as big as the giant rumbly grumbly ones.

the end

*nighty night*

honourablegeorge

larrythelathe – Member
    So popped into my local shop and was told the whole world is going 650b
    And shimano will be backing it exclusively?

Absolutely true. All Shimano chains and derailleurs for 2014 are 650b specific, and their brakes, bib shorts and fishing reels will follow suit the year after

mikewsmith
    Free Member

nice tazzy, like every kids story a good 10% fact too 🙂 🙂

the small wheel should have learned how to ride

tazzymtb

the small wheel should have learned how to ride

oi that’s my second book in the series! Just wait until book 5 where he get’s rescued on a beach by a Fatbike

mikewsmith
    Free Member

is that where the fat bike gets teased for being chubby and ugly but turns out to be the hero?

tazzymtb

stay out of my mind mikewsmith 😀

although the books will take a more “adult” theme once the little wheel meets the unicycle nimbus dominator rim who’s into heavy rubber

Diane
    Free Member

Thankyou Tazzy – the milk and biscuit were very nice and I did like the story but I don’t WANT TO GO TO BED YET!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

although the books will take a more “adult” theme once the little wheel meets the unicycle nimbus dominator rim who’s into heavy rubber

and thats why we have some new wheel sizes kiddies…

tazzymtb

but I don’t WANT TO GO TO BED YET!

*puts diane on naughty step and goes off to dose her favourite teddy with chloroform, hands slightly pungent and honky bear to her*

will be feeling sleepy in 3-2- awww soo cute

Diane
    Free Member

Ah teeddddyyyy zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

mikewsmith
    Free Member

this just got creepy, off to finish ghost writing 50 shades of mud for Tazzy

tazzymtb

this place can be full of wonderful loons at times 😆

mikewsmith
    Free Member

this may help you tazzy
    http://www.fiftyshadesgenerator.com/

tazzymtb

this just got creepy, off to finish ghost writing 50 shades of mud for Tazzy

a’alright chap I do a rather jolly range of Adult Ebooks that keep me in niche bikes 🙂

EDIT and fifty shades was terrible

Diane
    Free Member

Tazzzzzyyyyyyyyyyyy! I had a really bad dream (sob)……..Shimano said 26ers weren’t allowed on the trails anymore…….and the 20’s said I wasn’t cool enough to play with them (Sob)…….and,and I didn’t have any money to buy a 650b……….(Coz I spent it all on my **** house)

Teddy smells funny

kimbers

the only bike mag i read regular is dirt and they were a bit slow compared with others but decided there were some very good 29 trailbikes about, but thought 650b was pointless , but now seem to be really liking some 650b bikes, just not for dh yet, interesting times i suppose

drbob65
    Free Member

650b more suited for longer travel bikes than 29er as it allows geomtery to be closer to 26″ bikes. I have all the wheel sized bikes, tend to ride the 29er and the 650b the most, the 26″ might go on eBay soon

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘650b thing’ is closed to new replies.