Viewing 24 posts - 161 through 184 (of 184 total)
  • 650b selling
  • bellefied
    Free Member

I guess the proof will be in the pudding – new entrants to mountain biking will take whatever is available, but this was true when only 26″ was available – if veteran MTBers and decent riders feel the need to stick with 26″ then the industry will continue to support it just through economics.

It would be surprising if the whole industry moved away from their bread and butter frame sets for the new vogue, however they all obviously feel that is where the money is (albeit based on the need for everyone to follow the “fashion”).

I think we all agree that there is no perfect wheel size for everyone and the choice of wheel size has always limited (although having said that there were already 20″ 24″ 26″ 29″) so having a new size is undoubtedly a good thing as it gives more choice, the main concern is having change forced upon us (and thereby limiting choice).

I do not believe that we will lose 26″ forever. Yes there will be a smaller range of bikes available in that size but the range is already massive so it can cope with a thinning out.

So change is a good thing and I for one have embraced it by buying a 29er, but my main reason for doing so was that the frame at that wheelsize feels better for my height.

Vive la difference! 😀

core

rOcKeTdOg
    so, can you buy a high end 26″ wheeled HT in 2014? or is there a limited choice?

Very limited choice from mainstream brands, and even some smaller ones, but more niche brands & steel frame builders still churning them out.

Toasty

Seem to be a few that are sold as both 650b and 26″ though?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bellefied
    Free Member

Toasty – Member

Seem to be a few that are sold as both 650b and 26″ though?

that’s a good point – how much difference will a 27.5 frame be with 26″ wheels?

mangatank
    Free Member

Vive la difference

Not if you’re under 5’10” and end up buying into years of bodged frame geometry that has to accommodate the wheels first and frame dynamics second. That’s what the non-solution 650b is supposed to remedy. There’s going to be a lot of frame mis-selling over the next couple of years.

timbo678
    Free Member

Some good points above on this page, 26″ won’t die out of course, far to wide spread and in use, we forget that we are a minority of all bike users on the planet. It is just another adjustment in the world of bikes…I think 29ers will remain for XC, 650b will be for trail bikes and 26 will be for trials and DJing…DH is the one I can’t work out but I am pretty confident it will go to 650b in the end just may take a moment or two! But we are at the top end of MTBing so no it won’t change the majority of bike owners for many years. Entry level bikes still come with V-brakes and we aren’t complaining there.

I think the whole marketing/nasty bike companies ripping us off is a bit of a cynical viewpoint, yes undoubtedly they see an option to bring out another range to boost their sales but this wasn’t developed purely for that. It does genuinely make a difference to rolling speed, more than a 26 but less than a 29. The majority of hardtails are used for trail/XC and so are likely to be 650b/29er as this suits their strengths the most.

mt
    Free Member

“regardless of the fact no one has made square taper chainsets in about 5-6 years?”

Really? I am suprised as I have had no trouble at all in buying new square taper BB and chainsets.

Seen it all before, the wonder solutions to solve no existant problems. I am grumpy old git though. I shall wait till things have calmed down and it’s been decieded what will be the norm.

“These days people are more clued up.” Nope there is still one born every minute who’ll buy into whats new. We need these suckers to fall for it so that we can wait and find out whats going to stand the test of time not the test of marketing people.

Toasty

“regardless of the fact no one has made square taper chainsets in about 5-6 years?”

Really? I am suprised as I have had no trouble at all in buying new square taper BB and chainsets.

Given the first half of that line was “CRC still have MORE square taper BBs”, I’m not surprised you’ve had no trouble 🙄

You know what I mean 😛

RichieBoy
    Free Member

CRC still have MORE square taper BBs, than they have PF30 + BB30 bottom brackets added together, regardless of the fact no one has made square taper chainsets in about 5-6 years?

Shimano and stronglight still make square taper. Stronglight make some lovely sets that go on a lot of our custom builds. For longeveity theres nothing to beat good old square taper.

26″ wheels and parts will be around for years yet. I really don’t understand the panic. I do understand why people are annoyed at the manufacturers though. Seems a pretty cynical move by them while not really offering anything significantly different. 650b is best left on old randonneur or touring bikes (Rivendell make some nice 650b bikes still)

bikeind
    Free Member

Been riding my 650b more than the 29er of late

ojom
    Free Member

The trails must be so alive.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

26 will last longer than 29.

andypaul99
    Free Member

I think this could work to the benefit of 29ers. If people accept that bigger wheels are better its just a matter of time before the newbie 650b owners will be looking for bigger wheels, to further the benefits of taking the step from 26 to 27.5… All 29ers need is a lighter wheel in most cases to bring the trail alive.

At the end of the day as we get fitter we want to ride faster, and will spend good money on the right equipment to do it…

Then again i might be wrong 😉

rs
    Free Member

bikeind – Member
    Been riding my 650b more than the 29er of late

I thought you were only riding 650b… 😕

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I love this time of year, when things get a bit muddy and the mud sticks to my old fashioned, dare I say “retro” 26″ wheeled bike.

As soon as mud sticks to my tyres and the rolling diameter increases a bit, the trail just comes alive!

It’s ace

rOcKeTdOg

I love this time of year, when things get a bit muddy and the mud sticks to my old fashioned, dare I say “retro” 26″ wheeled bike

you mean mud doesn’t stick to larger wheels? cooool!

bikeind
    Free Member

Yes indeed certainly taken off now like I did say hey!!

njee20
    Free Member

Is there any difference compared to six months ago…?

slackalice
    Free Member

I predict there’ll be a run on saddles, especially for those that want to make their butt feel more alive.

Or is it the recent spate of gastric flu?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Meh.

Have we not all got over this yet? I know I’ve stopped caring, although recent rides did feel like they were missing a certain je ne sais quoi, a slightly dead feeling. If only there was something I could do to make the trails feel a bit more, I don’t know, alive??

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

If only there was something I could do to make the trails feel a bit more, I don’t know, alive??

Hover boards, I mean why do we need to have contact with a dead trail??

More fun and lively than a 26er but with no rolling resistance what so ever.

Tony Hawks has one.

RustySpanner

I thought he had a fridge?

aracer
    Free Member

Is that where he keeps bikeind his troll?

RustySpanner

I like him.
    But he’s no Pete McCarthy is he?

Viewing 24 posts - 161 through 184 (of 184 total)

The topic ‘650b selling’ is closed to new replies.