Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 650b plus Tyre Opinions
  • psycorp
    Free Member

I’ve got a chubby project on the go and I’m starting to think about tyres.

I’m looking for a 2.8″ front and a 3″ rear. I’d prefer tyre that are true to size but if they’re a bit under width, such as 2.8 TB’s, I could go 3″ front too.

They’ll probably be on Alex Supra 35 rims, 30mm internal.

What are opinions on the available tyre options?

Chers

whitestone
    Free Member

Trailblazers are nowhere near the quoted size – they are about 2mm wider than a 2.2″ Bontrager XR3 and 1mm narrower than a Bontrager XR4 2.35″. This is on a 45mm Rumpus rim.

I went the other way: 3″ Bridger on the front and 2.8″ (well 2.4″) TB on the rear but my frame limits what I can have out back.

jam-bo

2.8 Nobby Nic comes up at ~72mm on Alpkit Rumpus wheels.

impressed so far for hacking around the woods etc. bit noisy on the road so will probably get some Ikons when the price drops a bit for the rear.

psycorp
    Free Member

@whitestone

What fork are you running the Bridger on? They look pretty chunky from pics I’ve seen.

whitestone
    Free Member

I did have a pair of X-Fusion Slides and there was about 2mm gap at the narrowest part but they were on their last legs and I’m now on a pair of Travers Prongs carbon forks so there’s no problem. I think the Bridger came up at 74mm so very close to the stated 3″ (76.2mm)

The problem is that the bulge around the fork seals is at the same point as the widest part of a B+ tyre whereas with a 29er wheel/tyre it’s closer to the hub than the wide bit. This will be a problem until there are suspension forks that work with both.

akira

Spesh 3″ tyres seem to come up reasonably sized.

psycorp
    Free Member

Cheers all, I’ll take a look at bridgers and spesh tyres.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘650b plus Tyre Opinions’ is closed to new replies.