Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • 650B Plus – Remind me what the point is
  • nixie

Nick, you can try my tyres once the bike is built. Should be able to put my front wheel into your forks.

birdage

Hardtail 650+ on the back and 29er 2.4 on the front. Thrilling. About to stick a Chronicle/40mm rim on to see if it turns into the Bastard I want it to be.

WipeOut
    Free Member

WorldClassAccident

My Scott eGenius has 650B Plus tyres.

I own the Scott eGenius 910 with 29er. I must admit I wanted to the buy the 27.5 Plus but couldn’t get one until 2017 as there sold out this year. But I had some concerns, when I read the reviews they all mentions puncture issues and difficulties in getting the pressures right. Apparently a few psi makes or breaks the ride. I think I might have been lucky they were sold out!

While I am sure much of the issue you have is down to tyres, these eBikes aren’t the lightest, and I’ve had to change my riding technique to work with the considerable extra weight. My other bike is a Scott Spark 29er Carbon which is under half the weight of my eGenius. With that weight it takes a lot of upper body muscling to get it around tighter corners. And with the electric assistance, it wants to run wide on corner exit. If you’ve got some tips, I would be happy to hear? I am slowly taming the beast.

I hope you find a solution, but worst case can’t you put 27.5 standard on the rims?

BearBack
    Free Member

[Quote] when I read the reviews they all mentions puncture issues and difficulties in getting the pressures right. Apparently a few psi makes or breaks the ride[/quote]
    Any reviewers swapped out the tires? Most bike reviews switch out tires and stem lengths so they can assess the merits of the bike, the 2.8 schwalbe was designed in conjunction with Scott afaik. As you say, perhaps a different plus tire would fix the reported issues.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Any tips?

I use minimum boost for most riding as I tend to ride in a group and that is enough to help my knackered leg. This means I don’t get the super boost pushing me wide. I have suffered that on higher boost and slower trails. There is one twisty, rooty trail called No Dabs which is unbridgeable in Turbo mode, difficult in Sport and best in Eco or Touring. I reserve the higher boost for climbs or pushing mates along the road.

I am going to get a better tyre pressure gauge. The first mark on my current one is 20psi. Any recommendations?

epicyclo

Fat and Plus size tyres were popularised on bikes built for going places. Grip and float are the main parameters wanted there.

It may simply be there are better options for trail centres, especially if you have full suspension.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Epicyclic – I think you are right. They are fine for some stuff but unless the pressure experiments work out they simply add nothing to my rides

WipeOut
    Free Member

WorldClassAccident

I’ve got one of these tyre pressure gauges, and it works a treat.

Schwalbe Airmax Pro Digital Pressure Guage

I nearly always ride in ECO mode as I find that assistance level great. Even in that mode I can feel in loose muddy single track the front wanting to push wide.

Hope you get this issue sorted and give us an update as to what worked for you.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Pressure gauge ordered. Updates to follow

theboatman
    Free Member

I did run them at 15psi front and 12 psi rear for one ride.
    That wants to be the other way round… try 12 front and 15 rear

Apparently a few psi makes or breaks the ride.

I know it most likely makes me a luddite, but it’s the above that means I’m out. I understand some folk enjoy working out such levels of details, and I get it. But it’s not something I aspire to do. I know all things bring some compromises and some advantages, but I’m more concerned about the smile I get from biking than my wheel size, and I think if I was fussing over a couple of psi that could ruin my ride I would give up. I’ll leave this one to the innovators, as I’m sure nailing that tyre pressure will bring it’s own rewards and smiles,good luck.

RustySpanner

It only takes one or two rides to suss out correct pressure?

Lock everything out and keep letting a bit out ’till everything smooths out.
    Note pressure.
    Keep letting air out ’till it goes squidgy.
    Note pressure.

There you go, a working range of pressures you can experiment with.

Just the same as with any bike, surely?

scotroutes

2 or 3 psi difference seems like a very fine margin but you’ve got too look on it in percentage terms. Going from 12 to 15 is a 25% increase in tyre pressure. You’d expect any bike to handle differently. Personally, I run around 15 front and rear but don’t actually bother to check very often. If it doesn’t feel flat, I just ride it.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Okay – without a decent pressure gauge I dropped the tyre pressure until they felt softer than normal and squidged under my thumb pressure. No idea what the pressures are front or rear, just lower than 20 psi and lower, I think, that last time I ran them soft.

A) On the road they felt a bit soft but didn’t seem to squirm that much.

B) On the climbs they seemed to grip a bit more which was nice

C) On the descents there was some flex in the sidewalls but not enough to feel uncontrolled like it did last time.

Enjoyed the ride and just checked my Strava recording and it is splattered with PRs. Not that amazing as I wiped all my riding history when I got the eBike but faster on the descents which is encouraging.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘650B Plus – Remind me what the point is’ is closed to new replies.