Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • 650b. Is there any future in it?
  • aa
    Free Member

I want to like 29ers. I really do. As a concept it makes a lot of sense to me. BUT, I’ve never rode one that didn’t require a letter of intent posted to it a week before in order to make it turn corners. So, I’m unlikely to buy one

650b however, seems to be almost right. Better for those of us over 6 foot tall and better because it’s closer to a 26″ wheeled bikes handling?

Does anyone have any objective advice on a wheel size that’s going to be difficult to test ride?

Ta

singlespeedstu

There’s no difference between 650b and 26″ with big tyres.

If you think 650b is almost right stick with 26″ wheels.

singlespeedstu

Oh and if you ride a 650b you might end up like that fatfecker Tollah.

And you wouldn’t want that would you. 😆

aa
    Free Member

You mean charming and sophisticated?

With a extra tube stuck on the frame…..

His mum seems nice ! 😀

trail_rat
    Free Member

nah you just need to find the right 29er ….

mboy
    Free Member

I want to like 29ers. I really do. As a concept it makes a lot of sense to me. BUT, I’ve never rode one that didn’t require a letter of intent posted to it a week before in order to make it turn corners.

Strange, cos my Inbred 29er was actually a little too twitchy for my liking with the Reba’s on it set at 80mm, so I extended them to 100mm to relax it a little. I definitely wouldn’t call it slow to turn corners…

There’s no difference between 650b and 26″ with big tyres.

Actually, 26″ wheels with big tyres would be preferable, cos you’ve got the same rolling diameter but a bigger tyre profile is gonna be more comfortable! If you’re even just considering a 650b, sling some high volume tyres on your current bike and go ride, see if you like it.

650b is a solution looking for a problem IMO. I have several 26″ wheeled bikes that I really like, I have one 29er that I really like. I firmly believe that wheel size is less of an issue than many people would like it to be. I got a 29er as an experiment, after having a go on one of SSStu’s for only a brief while and realising for myself that a well designed bike is a well designed bike, regardless of wheel size.

So, have a go on a few more 29ers, stick some big tyres on your 26″ wheeled bike, but really I think 650b offers no benefits over either one nor the other and it’s too middle of the road to make any difference.

But feel free to disagree, after all if we all liked the same things, wouldn’t life be boring!

trail_rat
    Free Member

You will have to see if the uks only set of 650b wheels are looking for more time share owners too !

clubber
    Free Member

Is there a future? Maybe but not mainstream I reckon. It’s too close to 26/29 to really be worth the effort IMO especially when you factor in the reduced stock/options available.

As to 29ers all being slow handling, I find the same with many and yet, found one I liked eventually:

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/singular-swift-29er-and-suntour-epicon-rld-29er-fork-reviews

Oh and fwiw, the fashion for silly wide bars on many 29ers doesn’t help make them handle any faster either.

Edric64
    Free Member

How long before someone does an off road high ordinary to satisfy the need for the brochure boys to have something really different .One massive wheel even bigger than the daft 36er ,and a little one smaller than your BMX .I am sure it would sell to the 29er, 69er etc brigade!

b_man
    Free Member

I think its been done already…

Edric64
    Free Member

That looks quite good .It will be in all niche shops next year.

b_man
    Free Member

Apparently its just the same as riding a 29er with high volume tyres

18bikes

We tried it on our old heckler and I didn’t really notice a massive difference, but then again I wasn’t used to the Heckler as a whole so any difference may have been masked by that. It’s a lot easier to try than going 29er as lots of frame will take it straight off, forks is a different matter, we modified a maverick SUC32 to limit it’s travel, was very simple.

We still have two sets of wheels, one slightly used, one isn’t even finished so completely brand new if anyone is interested. XT rear hub, hope Pro2 Front on white velocity rims

Matt

singlespeedstu

Edric 64 – Member

That looks quite good .It will be in all niche shops next year.

It wouldn’t be niche if you could just walk into a shop and buy it. 😆

rOcKeTdOg

bit of a lean to get a drink whilst on the move with that bike

tollah
    Free Member

Thanks aa, if you want to try a set of 650b wheels I’ve got a couple of pairs! Where are you based?

singlespeedstu

tollah – Member

Thanks aa, if you want to try a set of 650b wheels I’ve got the only two pairs! Where are you based?

8)

tollah
    Free Member

🙂 @Stu

thekingofsweden

650b is only visible to the truly niche

Normo’s don’t notice or just think your running high volume tyres cos there the same

I saw a really ugly bike with what could have been a 26 (poss 650) high volume front with a 29 back whatever next

Andy

Sorry silly question. If 29ers are 700c and 650b are, well 650b.$ Then what are 26ers in metric then please? 😕

Edit: just trying to get my head round how big they are relative to a 26er and a 29er.

CraigW
    Free Member

Sorry silly question. If 29ers are 700c and 650b are, well 650b.$ Then what are 26ers in metric then please?

700C or 650B are not really the size of the rim or the tyre. Its more useful to compare the ETRTO size, which is the actual diameter of the rim in mm.

In which case:
    26″ is 559 mm
    650B is 584 mm
    29″ or 700C is 622 mm

Sheldon Brown has a very useful article with even more details and even more obscure tyre sizes: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire_sizing.html

ampthill

I reckon that starting from scratch 65ob might have been the universal wheel size

But we aren’t so it isn’t……

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

In which case:
    26″ is 559 mm
    650B is 584 mm
    29″ or 700C is 622 mm

So it’s 25mm difference then. I could pump my tyres up harder and get that much difference! 😉

Andy

Thanks CraigW

tollah
    Free Member

PP, maybe but if you pump 650b tyres up you’ll also get bigger wheels?

Running 2 bikes with 650b and 2 with 26 there is a noticeable difference between the sizes.

The easy way to understand what size 650b are is they are 27.5inch. Half way between 26 and 29. They handle like a 26er but roll better, just like a 29er but the drawback being we all have to share tyres as there aren’t that many out there. 🙂

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘650b. Is there any future in it?’ is closed to new replies.