Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • 650b+ in Winter
  • brassneck

So this is my first winter with a plus bike, and whilst the tyres have been a hoot in the dry it’s clear they are near fatal in the slop.
    What are people doing? Fitting 29er wheels with proper mud tyres? Smaller 650b mud tyres? Not sure how to approach it 😕
    It’s a Charge Cooker 1 so has wide rims (or at least seem it to me)

(I’m in a chalk and clay area, claggy unless you think hard about route)

chakaping
    Free Member

29in wheels for the slop here

Got the chubbies out again at the weekend for the snow, was fun intermittently but bloody hard work and dangerously unpredictable.

Put my **** back out saving an unexpected front wheel wash out.

whitestone
    Free Member

A couple of cm of slop on top of a firm surface (ooerr missus!) is about the worst conditions for plus and fat tyres – you just slide all over the place.

I got a set of 650b+ wheels for my 29er and just swap back and forth as required or the mood takes me. I have to move the cassette over and realign brake calipers but that’s about it, might need to add sealant if it’s a long while since I’ve used the wheels.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    splashdown
    Free Member

29er’s for any sort of dampness!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

29in wheels for the slop here

+ another.

Plus if it’s frozen, but if it’s wet they just act like boats on wet mud when you really want to cut through. The only place I would consider them when wet is well drained loamy woodland where their ability to form round wet roots is fantastic.

nixie

Power on through. Catching slides is fun.

scotroutes

Like all wheel sizes it’s as much to do with tread, tpi count and pressure.

My first B+ tyres were awful in mud. The Nobby Nics are much, much better.

Alex

29 on mine now. Rekon not a winter tyre!

z1ppy

Only 40miles or so but these nobby nics seem pretty damned good, was eyeing up DHR 2’s (eye watering cost), but I’ll stick with NN’s for now

PolisherMan

NN’s on mine in 3″ flavour. Great for local Pennine grinding paste. Dreadful when the encountered some Dales mud last week!!

cnud
    Free Member

2.8 HR2’s all good in the mud and snow in the Peak this weekend

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

£40 Gets you a set of these 650b Fat Alberts ,they are fairly high volume and a tall tyre that is designed for soft conditons and ‘could’ work well with your rims.
    I ran 2 front versions(one on rear also) last winter and this and have had great fun with them.

TheGhost
    Free Member

2.8 dhf on the front and HR2 on the back. Pretty solid.

Also swap to 29er wheels to keep up with the cross country boys. Although I am fitting 2.5 Dhfs to them.

ojom
    Free Member

Longitude user here. NN 3.0 and 2.8 on one wheelset and some Clement MSO 40c on some 29 wheels. Slow or fast mode.

Next month I’ll be getting some G One 29/2.25 bad boys on there too.

Del

Dhf/dhr 2.8 here. Loam/roots/flint. Significantly better than the wtbs as soon as it got moist. Looking to try 29 on it though, just because I can.

Goldigger
    Free Member

A couple of cm of slop on top of a firm surface (ooerr missus!) is about the worst conditions for plus and fat tyres – you just slide all over the place.

I got a set of 650b+ wheels for my 29er and just swap back and forth as required or the mood takes me. I have to move the cassette over and realign brake calipers but that’s about it, might need to add sealant if it’s a long while since I’ve used the wheels

I have to realign the brake calipers when I swap wheelsets on my fat bike. One wheelset hope hubs and the other wheelset DT Swiss hubs.
    Why can’t they all be exactly the same with regard to disc spacing?

LMT
    Free Member

I run mine plus all year round, only one reason I just haven’t found an economical set of 29er wheels with boost compatibility,

But saying that it was loads of fun this morning on the plus bike, 4am heading to work no one about I could ride as I pleased almost carried on past Work!

stevedoc
    Free Member

Maxxis DHF 2.8s here noo problem at all in the mud /wet/dry

TheGhost
    Free Member

I think it’s also about how big you are. Plus might be unstable in the slop with low grip tyres and a light rider.

Take a 2.8 DHF and a 15 stone 6footer and you have a tyre in proportion to your rider

retrorick

No big issues riding 3.0 tyres in the snow and ice tonight on the mnpr snowmageddon ride.

clubby

Ran last winter with the Rekons mine came with. Switched this winter to a DHR2 up front and what a difference. No need to mess around swapping wheels round.

superstu
    Free Member

Taking a cassette off and realigning brakes just to go for a ride seems a big faff!

johnw1984
    Free Member

TheGhost, I think you’re onto something there 🙂

6’2″ 15.4 stone on 2.8 Rekons and They’ve been better than expected so far! Still want some 29″ wheels though after crimbo…

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d like to try some chubby HR2s or Minions, even a Magic Mary.

Not gonna buy them though, as my current plus tyres are draggy enough already.

whitestone
    Free Member

Taking a cassette off and realigning brakes just to go for a ride seems a big faff!

It might only be two to four times a year, no big deal. You need to move cassette otherwise you are likely to get a cassette – chain mismatch in wear.

astormatt
    Free Member

I have just bought some 2.8 Magic Mary’s in soft compound (orange) for my 909 hardtail.
    Yes they are draggy, but the taller knobs seem to cut into the slop better than the stock HR2 and Rekon.
    Will be using the Schwalbe’s for winter them put the Maxxis back on for summer.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Like all wheel sizes it’s as much to do with tread, tpi count and pressure.

You know how boats work, right?

brassneck

Dhf/dhr 2.8 here. Loam/roots/flint. Significantly better than the wtbs as soon as it got moist. Looking to try 29 on it though, just because I can.

Interesting – might have a look at some alternate plus tyres then, I was still thinking they were all a bit cack (for my riding, I’d imagine well drained rocky places are probably still just fine)

I do have a 29 wheelset on another bike but its Maxle or some such oddness so can’t just swap them out – but I got by on Ikons last year (before that bike got nicked), with low pressure, so I’m happy 29ers would work for me.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Don’t plus size tyres end up weighing an absolute ton when covered in mud? it’s all clay like stuff down here in the south, it’s bad enough with narrow tyres.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘650b+ in Winter’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts