Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • 650b hardtail complete bikes
  • SOAP
    Free Member

Looking for a bike to ride from the door onto the Cotswold bridleways with a bit of FOD/trail centre action.
    I’ve got no spare parts so will buy new complete. Budget £1600ish
    My list includes
    45650b
    Ns eccentric
    Whyte 905
    Bird Zero
    Any thoughts on these or others I may have missed

qwerty
    Free Member

I live in Stroud and had the same decision, I went with an Orange Clockwork 120S from Delta in Dursley (i independantly upgraded a few bits post purchase and sold the new unused originals on eBay). The Whyte 905 was the closest contender, and if I’m honest it came down to me wanting a 15″ (actually 15.5″) frame as opposed to a 16″. The Whyte geometry seems to reflect all the current trends nicely. Personally, the Bird HT is ugly (especially in small), very burly and more than I need, but very well spec’d for the money. I think the 905 out pipped the 120S in an MBR test by 1 point.

qwerty
    Free Member

PS: I sat on the fence for ages with the Orange, mainly due to 440mm chainstay on a 650b and being unable to test ride a small. It’s taken a while to get the hang of lifting the front (coming from a 26″ Cove HJ with 140mm), but I’m getting there. Climbs the most brutal steep climbs very well, digs in like a whore on crack.

qwerty
    Free Member

I guess you should add the Orange Crush to your list as well.

PPS: I really like my 120S frame looks good, except for the rear caliper mount which is a propper gopper (WTF Orange?).

vincienup
    Free Member

No Soul275?

trailhound101

i bought a 45650b off the shelf back in Feb. With the wide bars, the long travel forks and the 1×11 SRAM drive chain. It does everything and it’s given me my mojo back The full-suss hasn’t seen the light of day since….

skids
    Free Member

nukeproof scout

SOAP
    Free Member

Think the orange 120 might not work for my riding style and agree the Bird is Fugly…
    I used to have a 456 and loved it, and the spec is Very good on the top end model.
    Nukeproof also looks good

nairnster
    Free Member

I love my 45650b. With 150mm forks, it is so capable

eltonerino
    Free Member

I had a Bird Zero.2 for 6 months. Lovely bike. Way more capable than me, but I’m catching up fast…

Very confidence inspiring, and feels light too. I went for the slack set and have had it at it’s slackest for the past month. It’s not any worse at climbing or flats, but is a bit better at downs and fast rough stuff (although, that might be more of a psychological thing), but not enough of a difference to worry about.

The blue is a much nicer colour in person, but it does seem to chip quite easily.

Let me know if there is anything specific you want to know about it.

superstu
    Free Member

I have a 45650b (£1k deore spec version which they’ve changed since) which I absolutely love. However, from your list i would be tempted with a 905.

When I was looking the crush seems poor vfm. I like the look and spec of the bird as well. NS eccentric gets fairly average reviews if you believe the magazines.

eltonerino
    Free Member

IIRC the NS eccentric has the crap R OEM damper in the Sweep forks, (instead of the RL2 that is a nice damper),

kendonagasaki

For what’s it worth I have gone for a 905 and after 2 rides out am lovin’ it.
    Llandegla followed by a trip around Rivington so far.
    I’m off on a 2 day trip this weekend from Conwy down to Barmouth via Llyn Cowlyd, Penmachno and Coed y Brenin and am looking forward to seeing how my body copes without the rear suspension after a few years not riding a hardtail.
    😀

SOAP
    Free Member

Think the Ns spec is not all that. Cotic start at 2K+
    Bit of love for the 45650b anyone rode a 456 and can compare?

razorrazoo

This website just popped up via an industry rep I know.

Onza relaunches with a nice looking range of hardtails

dirtyrider
    Free Member

After 10 years, it stepped into mountain bike trials

did they not go bust and someone (some shop in Nottingham?) buy the brand name?

deviant
    Free Member

Bit of love for the 45650b anyone rode a 456 and can compare?

I came straight off a 456-evo onto a 45650b….rode it 3 times and sold it.

There was nothing ‘wrong’ with the 45660b but the 44mm head tube, the 30.9mm seat tube and larger down tube made the bike harsh in comparison to the 456 (that had a 27.2 seat tube, 1 1/8 head tube and tubing delightfully thin)….the larger wheels beefier frame meant the 45650b arguably covered ground faster but not every ride is a race and I started to find it a chore.

I looked around for Dialled Alpines, Cotic Souls and 456’s with old school tube sizing but the world moves on, people seem to want head tubes for tapered steerers, seat tubes for droppers and bolt through back ends….and then wonder where the flexy steel feel has gone!

I admitted defeat and got a Ragley, it has all the things I hate (31.6 seat tube, 44mm head tube, stays like girders) but it’s bombproof and should be a reliable bike for years to come….went back to 26 inch wheels though, they are more fun despite current fashion, I liken it to riding a large BMX on the trails…650b and 29ers just don’t feel like that.

bikeneil
    Free Member

Onza relaunches with a nice looking range of hardtails

They look lovely but with a press fit bb, I’m out. I really don’t get geared to singlespeed frames. If i wanted singlespeed I’d buy singlespeed. You don’t see hardtails that can be converted to full sus for the summer etc…

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I really like the look of the maxlight ff29 withwith 650b wheels and 28″ tyres. Anyone got one?

kayak23

Considered anything from commencal?

They have some good prices on the outlet store.

superstu
    Free Member

Considered anything from commencal?

My eyes, my eyes!

superstu
    Free Member

Looks ok other than the pink

drovercycles
    Free Member

Genesis Latitude?

The 20 is a quality, well balanced spec, but you could also have a very nice custom build for your budget. Wanting a complete bike doesn’t mean you can’t pick the parts…

jaymoid

Looks ok other than the pink

Ah that’s the Meta SX 26″/150mm.
    The Meta HT Trail is 650b/120mm, black on orange, or orange on black – and looks the tits inho. Low, but not as long as the 905.
    The Meta HT AM is 650b and 150mm (yellow/black or black/yellow).

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘650b hardtail complete bikes’ is closed to new replies.