Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • 650b+ Front rubber
  • pipiom
    Free Member

Guys, what front tyre are you using on standard HT 650b+?

Currently using WTB Bridger Fand R and,so far, they’ve been great but,in the sloppy Manx winter, they’re pretty bad.

Any suggestions?

scotroutes

Still running Nobby Nic 3.0.

I’m not a constant tyre fiddler so these do me all year. Having said that, I’m mostly on the fatbike at the moment.

LMT
    Free Member

Running a specialized ground control 3.0 but trying to find one is impossible, evans have purgetory control instock at £50.

variflex
    Free Member

Maxxis Shorty or Specialized Hill Billy on the front when it gets proper sloppy.

letmetalktomark

Hi I’m Mark and I’m unable to help myself when it comes to swapping tyres (and handlebars).

Hi Mark, welcome …..

I’ve been using a 3.0″ NN on the front of my 650b plus set up now for 18 months and haven’t felt the need to use anything more.

takisawa2

Don’t know if such a beast exists but the non plus Magic Mary grips well.

pipiom
    Free Member

takisawa2: I use MM’s elsewhere, but can’t find any 650b+ or similar ATM.

moonsaballoon

I’ve got a 2.8 minion on the front of mine and leave it on year round , works pretty well and seems to be lasting well .
    When it comes to replace I will probably go for butcher grid 2.8 as it’s a bit cheaper than maxxis
    I don’t know if it’s where I ride but I’ve found plus tyres fine over the winter , or at least fun anyway.

escrs
    Free Member

Just swapped from 3.0 specialized Purgatory grids to 2.8 Hutchinson Toro Koloss

Has made a big difference, a lot more sidewall traction, shed the mud much better and have better clearance

BadlyWiredDog

Went from a 2.8 NN to a 2.8 Minion DHF, can’t really fault it in anything except super sloppy mud, which doesn’t exist locally. Stick a Rekon+ on the back and you’re good to go. The Nobby Nic in plus size is pretty good to be fair, but I prefer the Maxxis rubber compounds on rock. RRP is ridiculous, but they’ve just reduced UK prices. Or buy from Germany.

a lot more sidewall traction

What’s ‘sidewall traction’? It’s not something I’ve come across.

astormatt
    Free Member

Currently running 2.8 Magic Mary’s, they don’t grip as well as the 2.35 version in sloppy mud due to width obviously, but they are pretty predictable and i like them.
    When the weather gets better my HR2 and Rekon will go back on.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Hi Phil , I had Bridgers front and rear but like you found the front skated about in the Manx slop . I put a 3.0 Purgatory on instead which was better but am now running a 2.8 Butcher which is the best I’ve used , nice and secure in the wet and when it lets go it gives you plenty of warning . Only available in Grid carcass which adds a bit of weight but I can’t say that I’ve ever noticed it .

rOcKeTdOg

High roller 2 2.8 120tpi

pipiom
    Free Member

Ramsey Neil: brilliant could you order one tomorrow for me please; also answers a question JC might ask you tomorrow

BearBack
    Free Member

3.0 purgatory grid on the current bike, it been the least reliable tubless tire ive ever had. Simply cannot find the pressure sweetspot before burping like crazy. Only running it now for snow days where possible
    2.8 NN and RR were much better.

jonundercover
    Free Member

I’ve got a purgatory 3.0. I ride South Wales trail centres and supper steep natural rooty stuff. It’s great and I don’t even think about roots anymore.

dskelly81
    Free Member

2.8 Butcher or maybe Bontrager XR4 2.8 are the first sensibly priced aggressive tread tyres i’ve seen. Seriously tempted to try the spesh on the front

stevedoc
    Free Member

Maxxis Minion DHF front and rear .. a little draggy at times but worth it when it gets iffy. Would love to try a new Magic mary 2.8 ..ground anchor

jamiesilo
    Free Member

another 2.8 NN vote here, but i’ve not used anything else. have been quite impressed so far, but it is hard to sya whether the good grip is down to the tread/compound, or just having a mahoosive tyre right enough

BadlyWiredDog

another 2.8 NN vote here, but i’ve not used anything else. have been quite impressed so far, but it is hard to sya whether the good grip is down to the tread/compound, or just having a mahoosive tyre right enough

You’ll definitely get more than expected grip from just the increased contact patch – was out with a mate at the weekend with him riding a demo Sonder Carbon Transmitter. It comes with WTB Rangers front and rear, which are quick but lightly treaded in a Racing Ralph sort of way.

Not the tyre combo I’d have chosen, but he did stay mostly upright, if occasionally sideways on a mix of snow, ice, Peak grit and sludge and wet grass… Made me glad I was rocking the 2.8 DHF / Rekon+ combo, but more grip from the Rangers than you’d expect from the tread at any rate.

jamiesilo
    Free Member

yep, stating the obvious: it’s basically a combination of all of it; tread, compound, pressure, contact patch etc etc. it is bloody great 🙂

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Hi Phil , we’ll get that ordered for you and let you know when it comes in .

noltae
    Free Member

Anyone seen the vittoria martello 27.5 x 2.8 in the flesh – Not sure if they’re available yet ? If so where did you see them? – heard good things about them .

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘650b+ Front rubber’ is closed to new replies.