Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 356 total)
  • 650b – feel alittle underwhelmed
  • hora
    Free Member

This is like a sword fight in a sausage factory. Enguard!

molgrips
    Free Member

Ok, I propose this as the bottom line.

Fast riders are fast.
    Slow riders are slow.

Fast riders will be somewhat faster on a bike that’s more appropriate for the terrain.

Slow riders will still be mincers on any bike.

dragon
    Free Member

Fast riders are fast.
    Slow riders are slow blame their bike.

There fixed it for you.

deanfbm
    Free Member

Should have added that on terrain that warrants a big bike, fast boys on DH bikes leave for for dead when im on the trail bike. Plus the DH near me isn’t exactly DH, which means a DH bike is normally the wrong tool and a trail bike is the right tool.

I guess the points i was attempting to get across is doing stuff right gets you 95%ish of your speed, right bike for the job maybe gets you that last 5-10% and that what most people i see out riding/what i imagine a majority of STW think is the right tool for the job, is most probably the wrong tool for the job, typically going on the overkill end of the spectrum, IMO becoming a hindrance.

hora
    Free Member

And I guess most STW’ers wont be grrat riders, some maybe XC/race gods and some trail centre warriors but a rare few that can ride techy smooth.

I dont many stw’ers who would podium in amateur non-XC race. So anyone who claims others are mincers, your claiming you arent overbiked then?

Alll righty-then

molgrips
    Free Member

doing stuff right gets you 95%ish of your speed, right bike for the job maybe gets you that last 5-10%

That depends entirely on the terrain. A good rider on an XC race bike would probably take twice as long on Ft Bill than on a DH bike. You’d just have to back off.

Anyone care to try it out? 🙂

your claiming you arent overbiked then?

No such thing as overbiked. You ride the bike you want to ride. You can still enjoy it even if you are mincing.

chiefgrooveguru

Dean, you make a lot of good points but you fail to consider that a big part of riding well (and thus fast) is having confidence in your ability to execute the moves, confidence that you can balance a bike on the limit and confidence that when you don’t get it right you won’t immediately hit the floor. Bikes like BMXs are easier to execute moves on whilst bikes like DH bikes are easier to balance on the limit and better at looking after you when you get it wrong.

If you get two riders with similar skills but differing innate confidence the more confident rider will get more out of the shorter travel and less slack bike whilst the less confident rider will benefit more from the bigger bike. I speak from experience as someone who owns two bikes which overlap in character, struggles more with confidence than ability and is quicker on a bike which someone like you would consider overkill for my local trails. Another aspect could be strength vs timing – my timing on the bike isn’t as good as I’d like but I’m a fairly strong rider who will get quite physical with his bike, so I can manhandle the bigger bike whilst the travel blurs my temporal imprecision…

nach
    Free Member

I knew I shouldn’t have looked at this thread.

hora
    Free Member

Ignore the new Reverb dropper cable that I fitted in the carpark (since sorted)..

Back to 26’er

BigDummy
    Free Member

I kinda hesitate to do this, but I’m curious: how’s it going?

🙂

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Been a week, he must have swapped it for something else by now.

hora
    Free Member

Well I decided to swap my forks over to the Marzocchi 350’s. They are about 5mm shorter than the Fox’s on A2C which surprised me as Mazz always come up quite long don’t they? Anyway I thought would it affect the BB/pedal strike combined with ‘the wrong sized wheels’? Maybe the 40mm offset (as opposed to the Fox’s 44mm) helped as the steering is also a smidge sharper and the bike abit more playful. Different- I prefer it like this. (On faster trails maybe the Fox would be better). I might also retry the different wheelsizes with the Mazz to see how it feels but I’m not really in that much of a rush as I’m enjoying my bike. It feels very much ‘in’. I’m not sure it’d work on all bikes or all sizes as designers will prefer higher/lower BB’s etc and wheelbases so yours might not work…although it may actually suit your taste more.

If I go to the Alps this Summer I’ll definitely take the 650b front though. Its a fantastic 67.5’er. For all day to day trail though- 26’er is spot on.

chiefgrooveguru

The 40mm offset is more ‘right’ for the 26″ wheels than 44mm is. Shorter offset increases trail which slows down steering (like slackening head angle does).

hora
    Free Member

Ah that explains why it feels soo good 8)

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I’m surprised the 350 is 5mm shorter I thought they were same length as rock shox and slightly longer than fox.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I just compared the travel of my 150 RS sektor and supposedly 160 350 cr and the 350 only has 2-3 more travel. I need to get something to measure them.

hora
    Free Member

Yep – I didn’t break out the ruler but side-by-side it was very obvious that the Fox 160’s were a clear almost 10mm heigher. I can’t find any A2C measurements online. Very weird, as I said historically Mazz have always come up long for some reason.

v666ern
    Free Member

^Fair play that descent looks slick!

tops5
    Free Member

v666ern – Member

The Beast ?

thepodge
    Free Member

More likely Gores / Lockerbrook

BadlyWiredDog

It’s gritstone, it’s much grippier than it looks, even when wet.

oldejeans
    Free Member

Lockerbrook

bit late

philwarren11
    Free Member

How many rides have you actually done in 650b mode?

renton
    Free Member

Should of just bought a 26er !!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Should of just bought a 26er !!

A 5 spot ?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Hope you don’t get here with it 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

What a stupid thing to put on a sign!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

yep somebody has got round all the signs in the Redwoods in Rotorua on the quiet 😉 Seems to infuriate those with no sense of humour

molgrips
    Free Member

ah, it’s not official.. thank f.

renton
    Free Member

:mrgreen:

Mister-P
    Free Member

Should of have just bought a 26er !!

But you know that would have been wrong in some way too. These bike companies have no idea of what they are doing.

chiefgrooveguru

The 350CR 160 27.5 is 547mm A-C. The same Pike is 552mm. I believe the new Fox 36 is shorter than the Pike too.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Haha that sign is brilliant. I recently had an invite on Facebook for a group ride to some new trails that had been built near me, jumps, drops etc . The event organiser stated ‘no 29ers’

hora
    Free Member

No idea what sort of stone that is as I ride the same everywhere. All I know is theres a chicken line to my right that I avoid as 26’er wheels handle anything funnily enough and it feels more fun.

‘How long did you try the 650b’s’?

Long enough not to like how it makes you go quicker at the expense of other aspects and smooths out the trail.

I dont want it to smooth everything out or make things easier to ride. Refer back to my second line of this post.

One day I’ll switch to 650b (as Ive bought a decent 650b hope/stans). But not today or anytime soon.

jedi

looks like lockermouth?

Mrtrotter
    Free Member

I’d buy the meta v4 frame off you but I already have one! I’m liking mine with 650b wheels. First ride on it I finally felt like the bike was the right size and proportion for me, helped by the slightly larger wheels. Bb is low enough. Wheelbase is a bit shorter than my last bike but it feels fine. Don’t know why you’d want to go back to smaller wheels unless you’re about 5 foot tall? Maybe you just like having new stuff?

dragon
    Free Member

You don’t want wheels to make it easier but a shed load of suspension is fine. Comedy gold.

On that reasoning it’ll be even more fun on a Brompton.

hora
    Free Member

MrTrotter it doesnt slow me down nor feel wrong sized. Refer back through and you’ll see Im not struggling with the size or fit.

I’ve echoed my comments on other 650b’s that I’ve tried and test ridden. I don’t like how they smooth the trail. I like it lively and fun.

Your post is timely. I think the topic has run its course as people can’t read. Some can. Some are too underwhelmed with 650b’s like I am.

I’ve ridden more than one 650b. So stop the size angle. Its feel.

Edit- and Troll Dragon comes along and nails any discussion opportunity shut.

Ciao.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

chiefgrooveguru – Member
    The 350CR 160 27.5 is 547mm A-C. The same Pike is 552mm. I believe the new Fox 36 is shorter than the Pike too.

Are you sure?

Marzocchi site say 150 350 is 547 and 160 557….

molgrips
    Free Member

Even I’m not this bad.

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 356 total)

The topic ‘650b – feel alittle underwhelmed’ is closed to new replies.