Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 752 total)
  • 650b+ (and other plus sizes if you like) – rim, tyre, frame, fork combinations,
  • rOcKeTdOg

nice selection of plus sizes in the bike shop today, good to see someone actually stocking some

chakaping
    Free Member

Looks like Maxxis have come up with the goods. 2.8in and exo casing, tread pattern looks good on the Rekon here…

Link – http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-gear/maxxis-adds-new-fat-bike-27-5-and-trail-tires/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=post&utm_term=&utm_content=FBMaxxisSingletracksInt&utm_campaign=FBMaxxisSingletracksInt

Hopefully they won’t cost £90 apiece.

alexh
    Free Member

Rekon will be on my shopping list!

daveski1000
    Free Member

Right, first post, my build is work in progress (rotors and cassette to add), but just managed to fit B plus set up to a bizango frame no problems and get to run drop outs at shortest setting (can’t be done with 2.4 x 29 conti). Just trying B+ for comfort really and hopefully keep playfulness. Not gonna get ridden for another week… will report back. 2.8 trailblazer rear (on superstar DS25) with ~4mm clearance either side of chainstays, 3.0 Purgatory front (on Roval 29mm ID rim). Plenty of space in Suntour Epicon fork. Profiles of tyres look great to me, but as I say, yet to ride. I will attempt to attach a pic…

nemesis
    Free Member

That looks good. Will be interested to hear how you get on with the rear as I found that sort of clearance a bit tight for my lurcher.

benthebikeman
    Free Member

Anyone tried 650+ in a Lynskey Ridgeline? looking to give a 2010 frame a new lease of life…

boxelder

WTB TB on a 30mm rime easily fits the rear of a SC Tallboy Mk1.

richw927
    Free Member

Looking further up the thread, alexh has kind of covered this (in fact I copied you, cheers dude :D), but WTB TB on Blunt 35 rim fits with room to spare into a CB Yelli Screamy, despite CB themselves saying it’s “not recommended” on their website. I probably have 6-7mm each side with a slight dish offset.

Also squeezed a Vee Trax Fatty 2.8 on Dually 45mm rims into an X-fusion trace. Although clearance on that is 4mm and shrinking. The tire seems to have grown on todays ride.

Just wish I’d gone for carbon instead now, the light bicycles stuff is barely more expensive than ally. Buy right or buy twice as they say

alexh
    Free Member

Rich, nice yelli! Thankfully I wasn’t doing it off my own back. My lbs built up some rims for me to try and assess clearance. Tyres do grow a touch, my vee has stopped thankfully or I’d need new forks!

That depends on how long the carbon rims last! Touch wood they are ok for now and I did go for a stronger lay up.

As its been dry all week I dusted off the full sys and I didn’t ride mine today. I missed it.

I’m going to try the bike with a 29″ front slapped back in.

ctznsmith
    Free Member

richw927, what does the Trailblazer measure at on a 35mm external rim?

I’m assuming here that those above talking about 30mm rims are also talking external width.

richw927
    Free Member

Cheers alexh! Was a lucky spot on Pinkbike, so impressed with it. My Vee tire is another story though, on any surface that’s slightly dry or hard it just feels unpredictable. Will play around with different pressures I think. Have you settled on a pressure that works well? I’d almost say it might work better with TB on front and Vee on rear. Has anyone tried that?

Ctznsmith it’s in the shed at the moment but I’ll have a measure and post it ASAP

variflex
    Free Member

Yes Vee Trax Fatty almost self steers on tarmac. Ok on everything else apart from hardpack. Im running it at about 10psi on 45mm rims. Waiting for the Maxxis Rekon+ as I reckon that will be a perfect replacement.

alexh
    Free Member

Same here, waiting for the reckon to replace the trax fatty.

I’ve found it steers less above 15 psi. I’ve ran mine a touch harder of late and I’ve not noticed any performance issues. I’m not brave enough to try 10 psi on the carbon rims with how I ride

richw927
    Free Member

Ha, maybe I’ll try around 10 so I can bin my rims and get some carbons! Hopefully there’ll be a lot more choice in 6 months, when hopefully the trax will be worn enough to warrant changing. Schwalbe RR and NN are definitely on the horizon.

My TB is approx 65mm wide on a Blunt 35, at approx 18psi. Thats by eye so may be a mm or 2 either way.

rOcKeTdOg

anyone bunged a wide rim and + tyre in the back of a kinesis FF29?

rOcKeTdOg

I meant a real person who can show the tyre clearance not a showroom side picture

benji
    Free Member

I hope they have sorted out the clearance issues on the ff29 running 650b+, saw one at a race earlier this year and mud clearance was non existent, yes the tyre fits in the space, but that was about it.

mattjg
    Free Member

@richw927 @alexh – what’s the current best practice on a mk 1 Yelli? What rims/tyres have you been getting away with while still having a little space for leaf muck etc. I need a North Downs winter reasonably viable setup (tho actually I spend most of the time on the Greensand – Leith Hill, Pitch, Winterfold etc).

My email in profile if you’re OK to chat.

Ta. Up the Yellis!

singlespeedstu

matt.
    Be aware that very early Yelli’s have very little room for a B+ tyre.
    Later mk1’s are ok and mk2’s are fine.

jamcorse

I’m not enjoying the cornering lack of grip on my trailblazers with lb 30mm id rims. Might try a spec purgatory in the front with my Reba. If it is tight on a scraper in a pike, I hope I will be ok. Anyone done similar yet?

mattjg
    Free Member

ssstu thx, mine is a late 2012/early 13 I think, serial start P12. (I bought 2nd hand spring 13 but it was pretty new). A Trailblazer goes on OK on a Flow, but really a wider rim is needed to make the best of b+ I think so trying to figure it out. (have mailed Canfield to see what mine is).

singlespeedstu

The later mk1s will fit a trailblazer on a scraper with very minimal room.
    mk2s have a little more room.
    After todays muddy ride i’m either going for a narrower rear rim or sticking 29 wheels back in my mk2…

mattjg
    Free Member

yeah I’m thinking Scraper isn’t going to fly too. 30mm internal might.

there were enough benefits just on a Flow that I want to find out more.

alexh
    Free Member

I’m using a light bicycle 38mm rim with trailblazer rear and vee track (both 2.8). My yelli is a mk1 but 2013. Mud clearance on the rear has been fine so far. The trailblazer having no tread on the side doesn’t appear to hold mud on the sidewalk (the main pinch point to the stays in the rear).

I’m going to build up my 29″ wheels again

takisawa2

2.8 Trailblazer on 45mm Dually, in the back of a SIR.9
    (Not exactly known for big clearance).
    Was fearing it wouldn’t fit but runs just fine.
    (No tape hence ghetto, & not got round to trimming yet).

[url=https://flic.kr/p/zk7GZi]Untitled[/url] by pten2106, on Flickr

mattjg
    Free Member

@alex thanks, don’t suppose you’re anywhere near Surrey Hills are you? (I think I ‘probably’ have a later Yelli Mk 1, but it could be an expensive mistake).

@taki wow good result, and it’s refreshing to see a different pic of your SIR9 after all these years.

sheck

Anyone “plussed” a Singlar Buzzard yet… Looks like masses of clearance on my new s/h frame, so am fairly confident it will be fine?

mattjg
    Free Member

@cheezpleez has a Buzzard, I’ll nag him.

alexh
    Free Member

Sadly not, Midlands based.

boxelder

Doubt you’ll get Spec 3″ tyre in Reba’s. I’m told they measure up correctly at 80mm+ – someone on here was selling one for that reason.

nemesis
    Free Member

I’d agree with that – my 64mm wide Trailblazers fit fine but there’s only 5mm or so clearance either side.

boxelder

I’ve got a Panaracer 3.5″ FatBnimble in Rebas (measures 72mm) but wouldn’t go wider.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Anyone plusssed a Merlin made Jones Sapaceframe?

nemesis
    Free Member

boxelder – what rim is that on?

boxelder

Nemesis – Dually 45mm.

p.s. – those forks working out for you?

nemesis
    Free Member

Yeah, no issues with my wheels in the Reba.

boxelder

I meant are the ones you bought off me working OK?

nemesis
    Free Member

😳

Oh, right, yes, they’re on the other bike. Only ridden them a few times but they seem fine after the service. 🙂

singlespeedstu

Anyone plusssed a Merlin made Jones Sapaceframe?

No but i’ve had a Trailblazer/Scraper combo in the rear of my steel spaceframe.
    The steel spaceframe has a tad more room than my old Merlin/Jones.

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 752 total)

The topic ‘650b+ (and other plus sizes if you like) – rim, tyre, frame, fork combinations,’ is closed to new replies.