Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 752 total)
  • 650b+ (and other plus sizes if you like) – rim, tyre, frame, fork combinations,
  • nemesis
    Free Member

I fitted my b+ wheels to my lurcher today. In short it’s brilliant and on rocky stuff it was my fear that was the limit way before I reckon the bike would have struggled.

Unfortunately the rear clearance is too close to be something I’d run regularly – approx 3 or 4mm clearance either side to the chainstays but the tyres clearly did rub the stay (only lightly by the looks of it but still) probably when pushing it over into corners.

It was noticeable just picking the bike up that the b+ wheels added a noticeable amount of weight to the bike though it wasn’t particularly noticeable actually riding. I’ll maybe weigh them at some point.

To the question about BB height, this set up lowers the BB by approx 8mm compared to the 29er wheels I normally use. I didn’t notice the difference but as above, if you run bigger 29er tyres normally, you’d see a bigger change.

thepodge
    Free Member

If there is anyone in the S Yorks / Peak District area with a set of b+ wheels I’d be interested to see if they fit my frame & forks

nedrapier

v9gss – Member
    Can you get 26+ tyres?
    That I would assume would go in a 650b frame?
    May as well add another size

Not many, but yes. See my Dekerf on page 3. 2.75 Dirt Wizard on Stans Hugo.

There’s also a 3″ Knard, which I’ll probably try, as well as some 2.4 tyres which aren’t a lot smaller than the DW measured bead to bead eg conti x King. that should come up about 2.7″ on the Hugo, and might be a good choice if the tread profile isn’t completely messed up by the extra rim width.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

nemesis,

Could you possibly clarify what the current set-up is on your Swift?

i.e. Details of wheels/tyres front and back. Also what forks do you have, are they the old Swift or the new wider ones? If they are the new ones what is the widest tyre that you could comfortably fit on the old ones?

alexh
    Free Member

Overspokes tried my canfield yelli mk1 with 40mm carbon rims and a 2.8 vee tyres which are a good bit bigger than the wtb 2.8. Clearance was fine. (so great having a shop willing to build stuff, just to see what’s possible)

Ive ordered the light bicycle 38mm rims, which arrived a few days ago.

Just waiting for overspokes to re open from hols to build them up.

I thought why not, being as I’d just killed my arch ex rear rim. I’ll update when it’s done.

jamcorse

Sorry for the slight hijack, can anyone tell me where I can find 2.8 trailblazers? Or what other tyres are as tall without getting too wide? For a Solaris/Reba conversion with LB rims, 30mm internal.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

jamcorse – Member

Sorry for the slight hijack, can anyone tell me where I can find 2.8 trailblazers? Or what other tyres are as tall without getting too wide? For a Solaris/Reba conversion with LB rims, 30mm internal.

I’m not getting at you jamcorse but I’m always curious why people type queries like that rather than just opening Google and entering “WTB Trailblazer”. Hope this helps.

http://www.highonbikes.com/wheels-tyres/tyres-mtb/wtb-trail-blazer-tcs-light-fast-mountain-bike-tyre-folding.html?gclid=CjwKEAjw3uWuBRD_s-3a8-_h6j0SJAC-qgtHXY6U-km8DxppHvWXkFd5ybPQG1Vt1nROCAh_C6g7GBoCmarw_wcB

jamcorse

Thanks Forza, now I’m embarrassed as all the shops that came up on my Google were out of stock 😳

Whoopee, now I just need to convert j-bend spoke calculations to straight pull, will do some Google research.

boxelder

Anyone got a Panaracer Fat B Nimble to work tubeless – they seem slack and fragile.

boxelder

The Fat B’s stretch a fair bit when first inflated – became a few mm wider overnight. They only just fit in the Rev 29er forks now on a Dually 45mm rim. Nice and light though.

chakaping
    Free Member

Superstar announced a 30mm internal alu rim today.

Might be good for 2.8in b-plus in 29er frames? Wide but not too wide?

I decided to hold off doing it on 25mm rims for now after reading up a bit more, worried about tyres flopping and burping in corners.

thepodge
    Free Member

30 internal at superstar prices sounds very good

forzafkawi
    Free Member

chakaping – Member

Superstar announced a 30mm internal alu rim today.

Might be good for 2.8in b-plus in 29er frames? Wide but not too wide?

I decided to hold off doing it on 25mm rims for now after reading up a bit more, worried about tyres flopping and burping in corners.

Is that new rim in their list chakaping? I can’t seem to see any reference to it on their website. Also, have they said what the cost will be?

chakaping
    Free Member

Hi, just caught this as you posted!

It’s a new rim called the Alpine – look at their FB feed for pics – no price or date yet.

27.5 and 29in versions coming.

In fact I’m feeling kind so I’ll embed you a pic in case you’re one of those FB refuseniks…

forzafkawi
    Free Member

In fact I’m feeling kind so I’ll embed you a pic in case you’re one of those FB refuseniks…

I am LOL! Thanks a lot for that chakaping.

boxelder

Easton Arc 27.5 x 30mm in just at Wiggle (at least, I just got 1 of 2 in stock) and 1 at CRC. I’m going with that in a WTB TB 2.8 rear and the Dually 45mm with Fat B 3.5 on front.

chakaping
    Free Member

It’d be interesting to hear how you get on with the rear boxelder, you will come back and update us won’t you?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

3″ RoRo

Gotama
    Free Member

And interestingly they’re mounted on a new dt swiss 44mm wide rim xm551 based on my beady eye and subsequent google.

alexh
    Free Member

View post on imgur.com

Canfield yelli screamy mk1

2.8 vee Trax fatty front, 2.8 wtb rear. 38mm light bicycle carbon rims in dh layup.

Great fun, enjoyed riding it this am in some mud. Doesnt feel any heavier. Much more comfortable to ride.

Not sure on the front tyre/rim combo. Once you get on the side knobs it really grips and pulls the inside of the bars back. Quite an odd feeling that I got used to over time.

nemesis
    Free Member
    thepodge
    Free Member

I’m still holding out for the Superstar ones, well actually I’m still holding out for someone close to get a set that I can borrow & try out for fit as the chainstay doesn’t look to have a huge amount of clearance on a 2.25

nemesis
    Free Member

I’ll do you a sketch of my wheel measurements if you like – stoner did it for me and it helped confirm that it’d fit my frame.

thepodge
    Free Member

Cheers but there seems to be so many different variations in size depending on rim & tyre combo I’m not guessing some might and some might not fit

nemesis
    Free Member

Well I’m using trailblazers which seem to be a pretty standard choice but if you’re set on something else, no worries.

molgrips
    Free Member

Now I’m wondering if I could get a 26×3.0 tyre in my old Patriot. It has wide rims and tons of clearance… Would it be good I wonder?

variflex
    Free Member

Right had fun tonight.
    Scraper rims, DT Swiss Comp Spokes on Hope EVO2’s with brass nipples. NOt cheap in the end..ouch.

Rear tyre WTB Trailblazer – 2.8inch
    Front tyre Spec Purgatory 3inch

Didnt fit on Whyte 829 frame as intended (chain stays weld right in the wrong spot which is a shame),

But DID fit in the Transition Smuggler with quite a lot of room to spare at the back…..All in black looks MEGA!!

singlespeedstu

Get some pics up then.

rene59
    Free Member

Yes, pics please!

roverpig

Did you ride it, or just look at it 🙂

variflex
    Free Member

Here we go.
    Ride is great. No noticeable drag. The 3inch front tyre is VERY tight in the pike and has been tweaked again to try and stop it rubbing on the disk side of the fork when really leaning on right hand corners. Rubbing is only buzzing but will need some helitape I think on the top of the fork leg. Loads of clearance in the back for the 2.8TB. Loads of grip this morning on the slightly damp trails and greasy bits I found. Ploughs through mud on the bridleways we crossed. Really impressed. Will be taking it to Afan and BPW in the next couple of weeks…now that will be fun.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/yfAiv4]photo 1[/url] by varifle, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/yfAgWx]photo 2[/url] by varifle, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/yczR63]photo 3[/url] by varifle, on Flickr

singlespeedstu

Any chance of measuring the front tyre at the widest point please?

chakaping
    Free Member

Nice.

So a 3in Purg should go in a Pike OK if mounted on a slightly narrower rim than the Scraper.

rene59
    Free Member

Thanks for the pics!

That’s my plan, WTB i35 Asym rims (whenever they start appearing for sale that is) and 3″ tyre. You think there’s clearance for 3″ tyres in the rear?

Jossie

I’ve created a 29+/650b+ frankenbike from an El Mariachi, had a couple of little rides and all seems good and was meant to be testing it today until yesterday’s stupid slipping lock on grip crash.

Is the Purgatory tyre a 650b size and where did you get it from? Had a quick search but couldn’t find anything.

thepodge
    Free Member

That Smuggler looks normal, nice normal but normal all the same. Like a mountain bike should

nemesis
    Free Member

No noticeable drag

That’s my experience too and definitely different to proper fat bikes where you can definitely feel them slower. My strava times back this up too and I’ve set PRs on various climbs with b+ wheels.

The extra weight though is undeniably there but whether it makes that much difference is going to be the usual subject of debate.

chakaping
    Free Member

I think extra weight will depend on what you start from, surely?

I currently ride 2,100g wheels with tyres around 900g on my FS 29er.

alexh
    Free Member

There was very little weight difference for mine. Carbon rims and shorter spokes offset against the old, plus I was running pretty tough tyres in 2.35/2.4 on the 29″ anyways

That 3.0 tyre looks pretty close to the fork, shame as it looks a nice tyre profile. I’m looking for another 2.8 for the front that’s more uniform than the Trax fatty as it self steers too much for me. The trailblazer is really only about 2.6 wide.

Smuggler looks good

chakaping
    Free Member

Good info cheers Alex, do you think the Vee tyre would be different on a narrower rim, with a more rounded profile?

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 752 total)

The topic ‘650b+ (and other plus sizes if you like) – rim, tyre, frame, fork combinations,’ is closed to new replies.