Viewing 40 posts - 681 through 720 (of 752 total)
  • 650b+ (and other plus sizes if you like) – rim, tyre, frame, fork combinations,
  • tootallpaul

Anybody after a pair of Specialized Purgatory’s – 3.0″ size?

I have a pair with only 2 rides in them- clearance wasn’t good enough.

I paid £80 for the pair, would like to get £50.

Cheers,

Paul

Northwind

Thanks stu!

BadlyWiredDog

I’ve just built up one of the Alpkit Sonder Transmitter frames with Trailblazer 2.8s on WTB Scraper rims front and rear. I’ll take some pics and stuff in due course, but in case it helps anyone, I can tell you that a Trailblazer 2.8 fits fine into a standard 650B X Fusion Sweep and that removing Trailblazers set up tubeless on a Scraper rim without tyre levers is interesting… they’re quite a tight fit.

They also go sideways in mud, so I’m aiming to stick a 2.8 NN on the front, hopefully it’ll fit. I like the Transmitter, but it feels a bit clumsy next to a Ragley Ti, then again the Ragley has a current generation Pike on it which feels a lot sweeter than the Sweep.

scotroutes

Similarly with the FBN/Scraper

ianpv
    Free Member

They also go sideways in mud

They go sideways on everything! Mine’s ok on the back, I wouldn’t run one on the front again. Would quite like to replace the back one – maybe a RR or Ikon/chronicle, but not quite sure how they size up. NN on the front is a decent tyre.

singlespeedstu

BadlyWiredDog » removing Trailblazers set up tubeless on a Scraper rim without tyre levers is interesting… they’re quite a tight fit.
    Similarly with the FBN/Scraper

Every tyre I’ve had on a Scraper has been a mini fight to remove.
    Trailblazer,NN 2.8/3, Trax Fatty, Ikon, Rekon and Breakout.

davewalsh
    Free Member

I don’t think this combination had been mentioned in this thread yet, I have a Vittoria Bomboloni 27.5 x 3″ set up tubeless on a DT XM481 rim (30mm internal). Tyre comes up at 73mm at its widest point, I’ve tried it in the back of my mk2 Solaris and while it fitted, there was practically zero clearance. It also just about fits in a standard Pike with about 3mm clearance per side.

tommygee
    Free Member

Not sure if someone’s already posted about this, but what width rim tape have folks used to convert 650b plus rims to tubeless? Looking at converting a 40 mm love mud (alpkit) wheelset.

boxelder

I used stans stuff with duck tape over the top, cut to rim width.

tommygee
    Free Member

Thanks. The widest stans tape I take it?

boxelder

Just what I had – 22mm I think. Only needs to cover spoke holes, which are the same on any rim with centred holes.

scotroutes

I used the 50mm WTB tape in my i45 Scrapers

Clobber
    Free Member

Is the lovemud rim proprietary or is it something standard in disguise?

davros

After much research (lurking), I decided to buy some wide wheels and plus tyres to see if could work for my Genesis figuring I could always return them if they didn’t fit the frame/fork. I went for Halo Vapour 35 wheels and 2.8 Nobbly Nics. Clearance at the back is fine, generous even. However I wonder if the clearance on my reba will be sufficient. The sidewalls will be fine, but the nobbles run very close to the fork bulge – a couple of mm only but enough clearance for my mudguard. Will they end up rubbing through wheel flex? I don’t plan to use them in serious mud. I can’t really justify buying an alternative fork and I can’t see any other suitable 2.8 tyres for the front. So I can ride the set up and give it a go, or return it all and forget about it!

Northwind

Nobeerinthefridge – Member

thinking that I’d better get used to riding the slop as it’s Tweedlove time soon.

Right now, it’s so dry that the trails are getting crumbly and harder to ride than they were all winter 😆 Never underestimate all teh ways scottish weather can **** with Tweedlove.

BadlyWiredDog

Just in case anyone’s wondering, a Nobby Nic 2.8 on a WTB Scraper fits fine in a standard issue 650b X Fusion Sweep, as does a Trailblazer. Was tempted to try a NN 3.0, but didn’t want to risk finding it didn’t quite squeeze in.

Much more confidence inspiring as a front tyre than the Trailblazer, liking the 650+ float on local Peak rain-washed, rubble trails a lot. 🙂

tommygee
    Free Member

Ta muchly boxelder and Scotroutes. Clobber, I’ve no idea, but Neil at alpkit has been very helpful with all my many and varied requests, so should have a good answer for you.

honourablegeorge

Interesting comparison test here…. about as detailed as you’ll manage in a bike magazine.

[video]https://youtu.be/w6TMA2vI8bA[/video]

rOcKeTdOg

so where are you getting your plus size tyres from such as reckons and HR2? 27.5 x 2.8 etc

nemesis
    Free Member

700!

rOcKeTdOg

700c?

nemesis
    Free Member

😉

I’ve replaced my SSC ds25 rim in my front wheel with a wtb i35 so that’s 10mm wider.

The 2.8 trailblazer is now 68.5mm at its widest which is about 5mm wider than on the ds25.

That also makes it wider than I would run in my Reba though there is 3 or 4mm clearance in each side

nixie

Just ordered a Longitude frame set and alpkit wheels (with trailblazer rear / bridger front). Looking forward to joining this thread properly shortly :D.

Alex

I’ve sized down my Stache from 29+ to 650b+ to see the difference

[url=https://flic.kr/p/HKNYip]Chubby Evo[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Tried to show the difference here

[url=https://flic.kr/p/HKNWnR]Chubby Evo…[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Scraper Rims, Chronicle on the back and new Rekon on the front. Obviously frame is designed to run 3.0 tyres so not an issue but I like both these tyres. Chronicle is fairly amusing in any mud tho.

muggomagic

What’s the Rekon like?

honourablegeorge

Same q – what’s the Rekon like, and what’s the clearance like? (if those are standard 29er pikes)

Alex

Only had one ride but I liked it. Bit more bite than the chronicle (it was wet and slippy after rain). I think I could get away with running it a bit softer as well. had about 14 in there, ran 11 on the 29+ rims. Need to ride it some more but as a front, it feels like a keeper.

Alex

@HG – not standard, not pikes, 🙂 They are 2015 29 Yari’s boost which’ll take ANY 650B tyre I reckon on the 50mm Scrapers but not a 29+ tyre at all. Clearance is awesome. I can take some pics if you like.

muggomagic

Sounds good. Do keep us updated once you’ve had more time on it though. Does anyone know when we will see the Maxxis minions and high roller 2.8s that appeared at a few of the shows earlier in the year?

honourablegeorge

Alex – Member

I can take some pics if you like.

No need, was purely to see how a Rekon would play with my own 29 Pikes

Bit more bite than the chronicle

Wouldn’t be hard, the Chronicles look almost slick

Alex

I’d agree except the Stache came with these puppies.

The Chronicle was an upgrade 😉 I’m going for a Rekon/Trailblazer combo I think on the 650b+. At least there’s a choice – not so much on the 29+ tyres.

Alex

[url=https://flic.kr/p/HhQZw7]Chubby Evo on now borrowed hoops[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

That’s a new wheel (as I’d borrowed one to try). WTB scraper on a PRO-4 boost rear hub with a WTB Bridger 3.0 on the back. Quite like the look of the tread pattern. Might not be uber grippy after all this rain but got to be better than a chronicle! See how we get on this weekend.

Alex

I like that bridger. Pretty mucky out today. It’s not a mud tyre but grips well in the soft conditions. Slips when it gets really muddy but find me a tyre that doesn’t. Lots of volume, seems to give me the 29+ cush I was missing with the chronicle on there. Definitely a keeper.

singlespeedstu

Alex.
    Does the Bridger come up bigger or smaller than the Rekon?

Alex

Oh bigger. It’s a proper 3.0 (rekon is 2.8). Even with that difference tho, it just feels / looks like a big volume tyre. I like the combo. Both were still very floaty where the trail was that horrible 1/4inch of slop on hardback but otherwise great grip climbing and descending. It did slip a couple of times on the climb but it was oggy out there. Mate was riding his stache with a Chronicle on the back and the Bridger definitely climbed better.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/HkEfz7]Chubby Evo in Penyard[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Still room in the back for something even bigger but I reckon a big volume 3.0 is perfect. Fast rolling but grippy. Might not last long in big rocks tho as the casing looks/feels thin.

davewalsh
    Free Member

I’d like to backtrack on my previous comment about the Vittoria Bomboloni fitting in a set of standard pikes, the tyre seems to have settled at 75mm wide after being up for a few weeks and combined with the bit of mud we have at the moment, there isn’t really enough clearance.

Have replaced it with a Rekon, which fits fine.

Anyone with a boost fork want to buy a Bomboloni ??

scotroutes

I just did a blog update on selecting my B+ Pact. It might interest a few on here.
    http://www.blog.scotroutes.com/2016/06/act-3-bike-caution-nerdsville-ahead.html

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Thanks Scotroutes.
    Nice article.
    Thinking of something similiar myself.
    Max

jamcorse

Finally fitted my 2.8 Nobby Nic to the Solaris in a 2012 Reba up front. Love the tyre but only a mm or 2 clearance each side in LB 30mm rims. I had to true the wheels to the tyre rather than the rim to even out the clearance. Love it to ride though so I took a grater to the outer knobs to try and get a bit more clearance, got bored, need to do more in time. Will keep it though as it has such better grip than the TB.

metalheart
    Free Member

As a newb to this thread I’m looking for some advice. Please…

I’m probably about to drop a deposit on a new gen steel Sherpa and although I’ve a set of ‘Cotic’ Asym i29/i35 wheels I’m considering a set of ‘proper’ B+ wheels.

I’m thinking evo pro II’s 142 rear, probably 110 boost front with either i45s or the XM551s. Any advice comments? Oh, and 100-120 forks: what and from where?

Also, where to get these bought/built from, Stanton have indicated £550 inc tyres for evos/scrapers but need to find out exact details. Am I going to be able to improve on that? I’m not a wheel builder so prob best not the set to start on….

I’m thinking Maxxis tyres (Rekon+ and hopefully HR2) although I have a NN 2.8 on the existing. I want it to be able to deal with wet and a bit of mud so no TBs (plus my existing rear is leaking sealant through tyre wall). What else to consider/what’s readily available?

And lastly, if I go i45s what can I get away with crank wise. I have a 3×10 XT groupset but doubt that’ll fit/work? As a minimum I want to run a double, cable routing means a top swing (I think). As I have the rest of a groupset where best to pick up a 2×10 crank, f/mech and shifter these days? I usually head to Merlin but not much on offer there atm…

Cheers, mh.

Viewing 40 posts - 681 through 720 (of 752 total)

The topic ‘650b+ (and other plus sizes if you like) – rim, tyre, frame, fork combinations,’ is closed to new replies.