Viewing 40 posts - 601 through 640 (of 752 total)
  • 650b+ (and other plus sizes if you like) – rim, tyre, frame, fork combinations,
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Hmmm…

It’s very tempting to have a go at B+ on the spectral 29er. Looks like a NN 2.8 will be fine on the front (pikes) anyone any idea if the rear is okay?.

Gotama
    Free Member

In my experience it depends on how much the stays ‘s’ for clearance which seems to more of an issue with hardtails than full suss. There’s tyre measurements for a nic ( think it’s c. 70mm) in this thread, use that to measure across the stays where the top of a 29er rim would be to get an idea as that’ll be roughly where the fat part of the plus tyre sidewall is.

sergf1
    Free Member

Honourablegeorge, do you measure real weight of this new DT rims? And how it works tubeless, it looks like “hookless” rims inside.

honourablegeorge

Serg… no, I just dropped them to the LBS to be built up…. didn’t weigh ghem

roverpig

Thanks for the link to NextDayTyres. A nice easy web site to navigate and the tyres I ordered on Monday did indeed turn up yesterday. I went with Nobby Nic 2.8 in the pacestar (rear) trailstar (front) combo to go on my Mk1 Solaris with 2012 Dual Air Rev forks. I’m using wheels (provided by Cotic) with WTB Asym rims (i29 rear and i35 front).

Setting the tyres up tubeless on these rims was fairly straightforward. They went up with just a track pump and a bit of washing up liquid. The hardest bit was getting the tyre off the bead seat. I put a tube in to seat the tyre, puped it up so that the bead popped onto the seat, then found it really tough to push it back off the seat again to get the tube out. I guess that should help prevent it burping not it’s on though.

In terms of size the nobby nics come up a touch wider than the trailblazers I had before. I had to remove my Mucky Nutz guard from the front and use a neoguard instead. Clearance was tight with the TBs and the Mucky Nutz anyway, but I could just make it work. Clearance without the guard looks OK with the NN though.

Not had a chance to ride it yet, but looking forward to having a bit of grip in the slop!

roverpig

I’ve had a couple of rides on the Solaris with the 2.8 Nobby Nics now; one rather greasy/muddy night ride and one in the snow at the weekend.

I’d agree with the comments from one of the other threads that the 2.8 NN is basically just a high volume version of the trail tyre that we all know. I understand that the 3.0 version is on a different (lighter) carcass, but the 2.8 is just a bigger version of the standard tyre. If (like me) you find that Nics tend to suit where and how you ride quite well, you’ll probably like the 2.8 version. If (like some people) you hate them I wouldn’t bother with the chubby version.

Compared with the Trailblazers that I was running before, you get the same float (at the same pressures) but with much more grip and traction in slippery conditions. Of course, grip, traction and drag are all related so I’d assume that these will be slower than the TBs but I’ve not managed to test that yet as riding in mud and snow traction trumps drag every time.

mattjg
    Free Member

Mk 1 Yelli, 2.8Nic on WTB i35, no go – tyre deformation is enough to rub, it’s not on the whole spin, about 25% of it.

Any suggestions other than put a Trailblazer on (which will clear I know)?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHZd273ds_I[/video]

mattjg
    Free Member

Update to above: I took the Nic off and put a Trailblazer on, it gives a couple of mm of clearance each side. I rode 30km of Leith Hill slop last night, it worked well, no clearance issues at all,l though I’m glad I still had the Nic on the front. The TB is fine on the back.

I’m sold on the format, it’s enough to take the sting out of a pretty stiff frame especially on roots and rubble. Good times.

I’d be interested in what a dedicated b+ frame would ride like with a bigger tyre, tho I also love I can put my 29 wheels back on the Yelli if I want. (Not sure I ever will though).

alexh
    Free Member

^ I said the same, but it’s just so more lively/jumpy/poppy on the lighter 29″ wheels.

bianchiboy
    Free Member

Found these yesterday for anybody after a cheap wheelset (£199.00!)…..

Love Mud Rumpus 650b+ Boost MTB Wheelset

roverpig

I had another go in the snow using the Nobby Nic 2.8s on my Solaris. As I was climbing a bit of a hill I noticed some tyre tracks from another rider. What struck me was how much they seemed to be moving the front wheel (presumably to keep balance on the climb). Obviously you can’t read too much into the tracks of some random person you’ve never met, but it was interesting how much straighter my track was with the chubby tyres, which just seemed to trundle up the hill without much fuss.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I pick up my new wheels tomoro, 2.8NN’s fitted tubeless that night, and first #FullSussBeePlus ride soon after. 😀

tootallpaul

Specialized Purgatorys fitted with WTB Asym based wheels to my Trek Sawyer.

Looking very chunky.

Pics to follow.

nemesis
    Free Member

And measurements, please 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Yep, measurements more important than pics! 😆

akira

Considering I35s with spesh 3″ tyre so measurements very useful, and pics. Think I’m going boost on the front as build requires new fork anyway.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I reckon I can get 650B+ in the back of my Shand (Mrs). I think I have a 29er rim I can cut down.

Is 45 the going rate for a 3 inch tyre worth buying? anyone got one to sell?

niksnr
    Free Member

2.8 Schwalbe Nobby Nic does NOT fit in a Manitou Tower Pro fork, even with a measly SS DS25 rim. It’s more down to the Manitou ‘power bulge’. Pity as the rear of my 2013 steel Charge Cooker has plenty of clearance. Gonna leave the rear in and put my 29 2.4 Chunky Monkey back on front. A 1 deg works component headset is currently winging its way to my house!

fd3chris
    Free Member

Just put a nn2.8 and tb 2.8 on 27.7 external dt swiss rims into a new 29er camber evo and I’ve got so much room I could of gone straight to 3.0 ‘s. As I’m using a fairly narrow rim would going to say a 34mm external rim widen out the tyres noticeably or would it be a waste of money on new wheels?thanks.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Well, 2.8NN on i35 is just too big for spectral 29er, unfortunately. Wads of room on the Pike though, so I’ll just need to run a 2.5 on the rear.

First proper ride last night, so much grip on the rooty singletrack coming off the moor, 15psi in the front, reckon I could probably lose a few psi tbh.

Leon
    Free Member

slightly the wrong way round, but anyone running “normal” tyres on “plus” rims?

Thinking of getting a Norco Torrent, but from what I’ve heard, narrower tyres might be better for the real winter filth (by narrower, I mean 2.25 Magic Marys, or 2.5 Minion!)

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Quite a few of my mates run standard tyres on their wide rims – mainly IBIS. They seem to like them.

mattjg
    Free Member

Well, 2.8NN on i35 is just too big for spectral 29er, unfortunately. Wads of room on the Pike though, so I’ll just need to run a 2.5 on the rear.

Tried a Trailblazer? It comes up around 5mm narrower than the 2.8 Nic.

As a guide, a 2.8 Nic rubs (very gently, but persistently) on one chainstay of my Yelli, a TB clears with 2-3mm each side. I’ve ridden the TB through all kinds of slop and crap, the clearance is enough, no problem at all. I’m on an i35 rim.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve ordered a 2.5″ WTB Breakout Matt, came this morning, but I’ll bear that in mind thanks.

fd3chris
    Free Member

After easily fitting the TB on Dt Swiss 535 rims on my camber evo 29er I tried on my Shan 917. Too tight at the back which I pretty much guessed at. Then I put them on my 2souls slim jim and they fitted with room to spare with a Dt Swiss 29er fork. I might even go 3.0 on the front but tight on the back.

ryu1720
    Free Member

So ive finally found a set of tyres im happy with .Had some pretty horrible muddy wet weather down here in cornwall and the 3.0 NN and RR in my bigwig have coped just fine which means there’s a 2.8 NN and a trimmed down ground control from my experiments with the codeine in the classifieds if anyone is looking for one.

akira

So what tyre/rim size is going on the codeine then? Its a possible frame for plus build so curious.

ryu1720
    Free Member

Turned it back in to a 29er the only tyres that had any sort of resonable clearance were trailblazers on a 25mm id rim but dont think they are really suitable for British weather i.e wet !! Also I thought plus tyres on a mid travel full susser was a bit overkill really unless your always riding very rough trails . I had a go on a mondraker crafty plus at the weekend and was left with the same impression. In my opinion they are far better suited to a nice hardtail like my bigwig

akira

Ah ill cross it off the list then.

rOcKeTdOg

are you running the recommended 170mm cranks on the B+ bigwig?

ryu1720
    Free Member

Yep running a set of zee’s[url=https://flic.kr/p/EL4J3P]20160301_164839[/url] by RYAN KENT, on Flickr

bd197
    Free Member

Stanton Sherpa Plus

Afternoon all! Took my plus build out for the first time this weekend. Also riding an Orange Segment. Loved it! Fast rolling, fun, nimble enough. Didn’t leave me wishing I’d brought the segment along one bit. It’ll ride anything. Bit of rub on the chain stays even though Stanton now sell it as a plus capable frame but I do mean a bit and only from the slop we were wading through.

Cheers,

Dave.

jamcorse

Has anyone put a table together of workable combinations: tyre-rim-fork-frame? I think it would be a great help, might have to volunteer…

singlespeedstu

This was doing it for me today…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/FhAJM9]IMGP0604[/url] by multispeedstu, on Flickr

scotroutes

Still loving it.

Next move is to fit the Rebas and see how well it works with some suspension.

singlespeedstu

From todays ride B+ and suss seems to work very well.
    Propper late heavy braking and daft offcamber lines.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Loving it. Had. Corker of a ride in the Galloway hills today, even got a KOM on a rocky descent, despite my bad line choices and lack of pedalling. #fullsussbeeplus

stevedoc
    Free Member

New convert here first time 650b plus rider and very happy just need to mess around with tire pressures http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/13285586/ In shop before homeward bound

boxelder

Bobby nic 2.8’s running fine in mk1 Tallboy with Rebas.

Are the 2.8 R Rons as wide as N Nics?

davros

Morning all, I’m considering converting my Genesis High Latitude to semi-fat.

Looks like I’ve got 80mm of clearance where it counts on the stays. Can anyone tell me whether this would give sufficient clearance to run a 2.8 (probably a nobbly nic) on some 30mm rims?

Running a reba up front so I think I’ll be restricted to 2.8 there too.

Cheers

Viewing 40 posts - 601 through 640 (of 752 total)

The topic ‘650b+ (and other plus sizes if you like) – rim, tyre, frame, fork combinations,’ is closed to new replies.