Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 752 total)
  • 650b+ (and other plus sizes if you like) – rim, tyre, frame, fork combinations,
  • ryu1720
    Free Member

If anybody is thinking about a NN 2.8 you might want to have a look in the classifieds 😉

bungalistic
    Free Member

What forks are ppl running these 2.8″ to 3″ on? Does it need to be plus specific or will 29er forks work?

boxelder

The narrower tyres run on standard RS forks and Fox are a bit wider. Rim width affects them obviously, but a 45mm Dually with WTB TB tyre fits easily in Revelations. Have you read further up this thread – lots of info.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Gotama
    Free Member

Ryu – why are you getting rid of the nic………assuming boxelder has already sent you the money naturally 😉

boxelder

I’ve sent nowt……..dish it

ryu1720
    Free Member

So before i had the NN on ,ive always tried to have matching brands when it comes to tyres. Previous to the schwalbes i had a purgatory and a ground control 3.0 but didn’t feel happy with the clearance but did like the grip of the purgatory which i think is a better option for a front .so what i have done is ordered a 3.0 NN from merlin in trailstar compound. just got back from a quick blast and im happy with it ,so i have a 2.8 NN spare .Hope all that make sense

@boxelder
    haven’t received any mail

ryu1720
    Free Member

bungalistic – Member
    What forks are ppl running these 2.8″ to 3″ on? Does it need to be plus specific or will 29er forks work?

I’ve yet to find a 3″ tyre on a 25mm id rim that wont fit in a standard 29er pike.

nemesis
    Free Member

As a very random thing but since the NN looks more like a mud tyre than most other b+ tyres, has anyone got a Bonty Mud or similar that they could picture next to a NN?

boxelder

ryu1720 – it bounced back from the address in your profile (maybe I edited incorrectly). I was asking if it was one or a pair, but see it’s one, so I’ll leave it (thought I sniffed a bargain pair :oops:). Got a pair arriving from Germany.

bungalistic
    Free Member

Have you read further up this thread – lots of info

I have now 🙂 how are folk finding the tight clearance in the muddy conditions?

alexh
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2.8 trailblazer and a 2.8 vee Trax fatty that’s surplus to requirements now.

alexhayes1981 at gmail .com

Apologies for minor hijack.

bianchiboy
    Free Member

Hey Guys

I’ve got WTB 2.8 trailblazer’s on My Charge Cooker which is 2 months old and just had my first puncture on the front.
    I had hell of a job getting the tyre off and then back on again with my Specialized EMT MTB tyre levers which when used on my 2.2 29er tyres are a piece of cake to get off.

What do you guys use??

ianpv
    Free Member

My 2.8 Nobby nic just arrived. It’s a fair bit bigger than a trailblazer IMO. Here are some pics mounted tubeless on an i35 in a 2012-ish revelation. It is pretty marginal, and if it stretches it will definitely rub. The side knobs are slightly higher than the narrowest point of the fork. I can stick it in a pike if anyone is interested. Looks a decent tyre, but I think it is going to be too big…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/BpPUzX]Untitled[/url] by Soph and Ian, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/BYku6F]Untitled[/url] by Soph and Ian, on Flickr

Here it is in comparison to a trailblazer on an i29:
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/BW2T3S]Untitled[/url] by Soph and Ian, on Flickr

boxelder

Tyres measures, bead to bead laid flat:
    Panaracer FBN, 3.5″ (used and stretched) = 190mm
    N Nic 2.8 (new, unstretched) = 168mm

N Nic comes up bigger than TB, but fits the Rev forks better than the FBN (on 45mm rim)
    N Nic went up easily tubeless too, unlike the Panaracer.

singlespeedstu

N Nic comes up bigger than TB

[url=https://flic.kr/p/BRrW2K]Nobby Nic 2.8[/url] by multispeedstu, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/wEaV9k]69mm.[/url] by multispeedstu, on Flickr

Both mounted on a Scraper.
    TB has now stretched to 71mm so I’d say they’re pretty much the same size as each other on a 45mm rim.

boxelder

OK, but I was referring to tread width. The bit that gives the contact patch. Volume/height are very similar.

singlespeedstu

Volume/height are very similar.

Agreed.

cokie

Just finished my 650b+ build- Zealous Division Mk2 with i35s on ProIIs with WTB TB tyres. This setup up has masses of mud clearance at the back. The revelation has plenty of clearance too.

scotroutes

Out on mine tonight

I reckon the FatBNimbles aren’t quite up to handling the current level of slop.

variflex
    Free Member

Ordered a NN 2.8 last week from http://www.bike-components.de
    Emailed today to say no stock until well into next year.

variflex
    Free Member

Anywhere else got stock of NN 2.8?

mattjg
    Free Member

looking good Cokie.

Bad luck Variflex. My 2.8 Nic (ordered 3rd) has shipped. I’ll report clearance on Pike and Yelli Screamy when I get it.

bigh
    Free Member

Slam69 had some posted on their FB page

variflex
    Free Member

Super thanks BigH – Slam69 came up trumps 🙂

alexh
    Free Member

I didn’t feel the love for plus in the current conditions. I’ll try again in the spring but I’ve reverted back to 29″ for now.

Liking the zealous division, but I’m not sold on the trailblazer as a front tyre

BoardinBob

Late to the thread so apologies if this has been done already but someone on MTBR has done a Fattie conversion on a 2015 Spesh Enduro

http://forums.mtbr.com/specialized/official-specialized-enduro-thread-776419-68.html#post12307536

roverpig

I didn’t feel the love for plus in the current conditions. I’ll try again in the spring but I’ve reverted back to 29″ for now.

I was in a similar position a week ago. I loved the B+ setup on my Solaris when I first tried it a few months back, but recently in the winter slop I’ve just not been enjoying it and had reverted back to my Smuggler 29er.

Then, last week, it really was too grotty for me to want to take the Smuggler out on a night ride, so I grabbed the Solaris from the shed. I hadn’t touched it for a while and the tyres had obviously lost some air. Checking it when I got back I was actually running around 7psi. But it felt really good in the slop at that pressure. Right up until I tried to loft the front over a pothole and felt the rear rim slam into the edge of the hole! I had to back off a bit after that, which runined the fun a bit, but I wonder if there is some magic pressure that would work in the current conditions.

Ultimately though, I’m thinking that procore might be a better solution for me. The B+ wheels are heavier than my 29er wheels so 29er plus procore shouldn’t be any heavier than B+. You can still run the low pressures but without the risk of damaging the rim and a 29er with a decent width rim would still give plenty of volume I guess. Plus, of course, you’ve got a full range of tyres to play with.

I’ll be interested to see how the trailblazers cope with the snow (which can’t be far off now) though.

scotroutes

Given my experience with fatbikes I reckon Plus will be fine once we get the right tyres. We need a 3″ Nate.

I am building a set of 29er wheels for my Pact too though.

bigh
    Free Member

Im no expert as Im very new to the whole thing, but I feel you just cut your cloth accordingly.
    I ride in the FoD which has it’s fair share of mud to say the least. So what if my tyres aren’t optimum for slop, the moments when I get superb rollability on the good bits more than make up. Plus it gives me a good excuse to ride like a girl down steep stuff that should be better left for dryer conditions 🙂
    I just love the way you can ride off piste over stuff that leave others struggling. Anyhow, im running purgatorys front and rear and they’re good enough for me..ehem..until maxxis release the rekon

Gotama
    Free Member

Why on earth anyone would run the trailblazer as a front tyre for anything other than a bike packing style bike is beyond me. Look at the tread pattern on it?! That Zealous, although it looks nice, seems a bit pointless if the bike is ridden as it was designed. A higher volume tyre doesn’t suddenly defy all previously known grip levels. I’m going to guess that a tyre with a properly meaty loose condition tread pattern and carcass would weigh a ‘kin ton. Think there was someone on mtbr saying the dirt wizard, which appears to be the most aggressive at the moment as far as I can see, comes in at 1300g. Looking forward to getting the chubby nics on my hardtail but they’re not going to be holy grail of grip in all conditions.

alexh
    Free Member

I’d proved to myself that for the type of riding I use my ht for, it’s quicker as a 29″. It feels more lively and it digs into slop.

That said I always thought i was having more fun on the 27.5+!

I’ve just moved the wide rimmed wheels onto the bike I use for uplift/fun days out, so I still have the option to go back to this set up in the spring.

ryu1720
    Free Member

@alex
    Same here, as much as I like my codeine in plus size format it is an awful lot of bike for the majority of riding that I do and coupled with the fact that the wheels are in a frame not specifically designed for them, and for that reason I’m going to put them in a frame better suited to them a long low slack steel hardtail!!

STATO
    Free Member

Given my experience with fatbikes I reckon Plus will be fine once we get the right tyres. We need a 3″ Nate.

Just received a 3″ Nobby Nic from Merlin and its not far off! I think these merlin tyres must be an early batch as quite a few of the centre threads on mine are a little under-formed (small depressions in the centre or edge).

Just need to decide which bike to run 27+ on, the fat bike, or the 29er. Not sure the 29er will clear 3″ tyres 😕

scotroutes

Cool! It was likely to be that or a Purgatory

Gotama
    Free Member

Agreed. Received mine today and it looks like it could be just the ticket. All I need now are some wheels to mount it on 😕

mattjg
    Free Member

^^ got wheels need tyres!

ryu1720
    Free Member

@gotama
    Superstar components are doing a special on tesla/ryde trace enduro wheel builds today 29mm id rims for £235

Gotama
    Free Member

Thanks but I have some i35 on hope coming from just riding along. I’m also waiting on the forks from Loco so in honest I’m short of more than just wheels 🙂 Once I get the wheels though i will probably stick them in my Prime for a giggle. That said I’m missing a 2.8 Nic as well 😉

ryu1720
    Free Member

Lol just checked your profile e-mail 😉 It should be with you today or Monday I reckon ,let me know if there’s any problems. Hopefully will be picking up my new bigwig frame tonight will post some pics if I get time over the weekend.

Gotama
    Free Member

No worries, I was only joking. Bigwig should be a lot of fun.

Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 752 total)

The topic ‘650b+ (and other plus sizes if you like) – rim, tyre, frame, fork combinations,’ is closed to new replies.