Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 752 total)
  • 650b+ (and other plus sizes if you like) – rim, tyre, frame, fork combinations,
  • nemesis
    Free Member

There are plenty of cases of the tyres seeming to expand a little if left overnight, etc. Possibly because the pressures are typically lower, the tyre takes a while to fully seat after initial inflation, possibly even needing a ride to get it done fully (Mind you, I inflate to around 40psi when fitting them)

cokie

Not ideal for winter then Mattjg.. How are they in the Pikes?
    Hoping mine has a bit more clearance. Sounds like there is now way they’ll fit the T129 then 😡

pryally
    Free Member

ive put an ad for a pair of plus tyres in classifieds if anyone is interested… WTB trailblazer & maxxis chronicle
    wtb fits fine with loads of room in rear of a Karate Monkey

alexh
    Free Member

I suppose it depends on the type of mud. We don’t tend to have a plastic clay here. More of a mudstone that’s wet and fine and doesn’t stick/clag up.

I’ve found they haven’t stretched much once inflated.

Go careful on pressure seating the plus tyres. The purgatory has a max pressure rating of 20 psi (which I dismissed rather foolishly as absurd). I wasn’t sure it was seating correctly and took it to 38psi for a moment. It popped off the rim, showing everything in sealant and deafening me in the process. Lesson learnt on that tyre.

nemesis
    Free Member

Good point to note 🙂

nemesis
    Free Member

Well, my ‘purgatory’ arrived. Problem is it turns out I actually ordered a ground control by mistake 👿

Proper tyre ordered now.

FWIW though the Ground Control 650b 3.0 weighs in at 949g

mattjg
    Free Member

Not ideal for winter then Mattjg.. How are they in the Pikes?

I think the frame will be OK, proof will be in the riding.

I’ve no concern re the Pike however I haven’t unboxed the second TB, in the hope we (someone else!) find something grippier that works.

Hoping mine has a bit more clearance. Sounds like there is now way they’ll fit the T129 then

Dream on. Absolutely no go in the Following too!

mattjg
    Free Member

It popped off the rim, showing everything in sealant and deafening me in the process

Been there. Rite of passage for every home mechanic. Covered in splurge and hearing weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

ianpv
    Free Member

So what is the best available front tyre (in terms of cornering grip) that fits in a revelation on a 35mm internal rim?

I’m also pretty unsatisfied with the lack of cornering grip I get with the trailblazer. I’m thinking of running a trailblazer rear, 29er with big tyre front on my solaris!

alexh
    Free Member

Ian, I tried that and it worked well. Just looked odd. Steering felt light, nimble and retained the comfort on the rear.

The trax fatty is the best plus front tyre I’ve found that fits in revs. The purgatory needed a shave to have some clearance but I’ve not tried it in anger yet. Hopefully the schwalbe 2.8 nobby nic/ ‘rr will fit and maybe something from maxxis. They are thin on the ground.

faustus

Just seen these mentioned on another thread, another choice of b+ tyre:

http://www.mantel.com/uk/vittoria-bomboloni-tnt-275?gclid=CI7drY_7l8kCFQ26GwodeaAIcw

alexh
    Free Member

Doesn’t have vittoria’s graphine (sp) compound though. I was looking at this at my lbs in their book. No idea what size it actually blows up to. Needs a guinea pig.

Mbnut
    Free Member

A Spesh Purgatory 3.0 in a Pike 29er fork. The tyre is mounted on a fattie rim, 29mm ID, and is inflated to 20psi.

Sadly the same set up out back on my Enduro is super tight to the driveside chainstay. I could fettle with the dishing of the wheel to give me an even gap but it would still be close and would only be usable in dry conditions.

alexh
    Free Member

Well that proves pikes have a good bit more clearance than revs.

mattjg
    Free Member

@mbnut thx, it’s hard to tell from the pic – are you happy that’s rideable? Good news if so.

Mbnut
    Free Member

A better look at it.

I would be happy with it in the dry for sure. Wet, loose mud and say trail centre grit type mud would be fine too I reckon. Sadly I live in a chalk and clay area so that would probably scupper its chances around here.

For the record the tyre comes up very similar in size to the Vee Crown Gem 3.0 i’m running in a 140mm Sektor 29er fork.

I have a Fox 34 that i’d like to try them in as well but that’ll have to wait for another day!

sheck

Hi mbnut… How would you compare the Purgatory to the Crown Gem?

richardthird

My Chronicle arrived from Oz. Took 19 days. 120tpi Exo for £36 delivered

ryu1720
    Free Member

Free Member

I’m liking the purgatory as a front tyre fitted on a hugo. Held up well in the sticky mud and cleared well last weekend Running WTB TB on the rear 25mm rim which did struggle for grip at times especially when climbing it is on a single speed though so I was standing at times. Thought the TB was great in the summer on the front. Didn’t think it would as came up very square on the Hugo but this seemed to help it dig in on corners.

I have noticed if the plus tyre is on a narrow ish rim 25mm it needs a bit more pressure to stop side roll especially on the back. For full affect I would say 30mm or wider is best.

Tool is a high latitude with Maverick SC32 forks.

roverpig

I was really enjoying the WTB TB tyres (on a Solaris) when it was dry. Not so keen on them in the wet though. I’ve lost the back end a few times now. Mostly braking into corners (when you are still on the brakes as you start to lean the bike over into the corner). Not lost the front yet, but not exactly feeling secure either.

mattjg
    Free Member

@sticky what fork are you running the Purgatory on?

> Tool is a high latitude with Maverick SC32 forks.

Edit: Ah got it thx.

Jossie

Had a bit of time today and a few new tyres to try out for size/volume. I’ve measured to the carcass in all all cases and height includes the depth of the rim (it was easier that way).

650b+ on a Sun Mulefut rim.

Fat B Nimble – 3.5!!! – 73mm wide, 76mm high – I have tried this but can’t remember how it rode, didn’t die if that helps.
    WTB Trailblazer – 2.8 – 68mm wide, 74mm high – been out in the slop on this today as rear tyre, was ok but did spin out a couple of times.
    Duro Crux – 3.5 – 74mm wide, 79mm high – feels heavy in your hand and looks massive, does have very big and square knobs not a million miles away from a dirt wizard.
    Chaoyang Big Daay – 3.5 – 72mm wide, 79mm high – feels quite light with pretty small knobs, might be better suited for summer use?

I went out on my El Mariachi in 97.5+ mode this morning, had a Chupacabra on the front which did very well in the mud even though it seemed to clog up very easily. As others have said I do not see how the manufacturers come up with the tyre sizes apart from tossing a coin?

nemesis
    Free Member

Finally got my purgatory and have it on my 25mm internal rim.

Interestingly the actual tyre carcass is very similar in width to my trailblazers but while the tb knobs don’t protrude beyond the carcass, the purgatory ones do significantly and as such they look a lot wider. So that’s a carcass width of approx 65mm. With the width including knobs nearer 80mm.

I tried the purgatory in my Reba and it’s basically zero clearance. Certainly not rideable.

mattjg
    Free Member

Thx for info. I measured my Pikes at about 72mm at the pinch point, so no go really. Rats.

Here’s hoping the 2.8 Nic comes in.

nemesis
    Free Member

I remeasured the Purgatory and I reckon it’s more like 72 or 73mm including the side knobs.

It seems to sit fine on the 25mm rim which given what appears to be the same size carcass as the TB is no real surprise but I haven’t ridden it yet.

alexh
    Free Member

I did 27 miles in the slop with the purgatory yesterday. It’s an improvement over the trax, but it still doesn’t bite enough in the real slop patches. I locked it up on a couple of very steep descents (could have been conditions with lots of leaves).

nemesis
    Free Member

It doesn’t really look like a mud tyre though with aggressive knobs and a large footprint, I’m hoping it’ll do the job.

alexh
    Free Member

I think the conditions (awful) probably took the gloss off how well it performed.

rOcKeTdOg

had a carpark play on an Orbea Loki today, great bike, loads of clearance at the rear for something more nobbly than a chronicle too

sorry for the stereotypical plaid shirt and beard

ryu1720
    Free Member

Here’s my codiene with a purgatory in the front and a trimmed ground control running in the back .Purgatory far superior to the TB i was running and haven’t been out with the ground control yet will update when i have.[/url]DSC_0845 by RYAN KENT, on Flickr[/img]

takisawa2

Things are getting a bit sketchy for the Knard & Trailblazer.
    Fab in the summer, but a fair bit of slip’ slidin’ through the woods yesterday.
    Able to drop a few psi from the back now I’ve built the Dually on.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/BhM1e3]Sloppy Wood, Lichfield. Sneaky afternoon amble.[/url] by pten2106, on Flickr

alexh
    Free Member

Ryu that must be an absolute animal!

wiggles
    Free Member

ordered a nobby nic 3.0 Snakeskin trailstar. Will get a purgatory as well and work out the best front/rear combo between those and the ground control as a bit bored of having no grip in mud now…

honourablegeorge

wiggles – Member

ordered a nobby nic 3.0 Snakeskin trailstar

From where?

infernocup

@sticky
    What’s the clearance like in the back of the high latitude? Do you think it would take a tb on a 30mm rim?
    What’s the ride like in general? I’d been looking at a Stanton Sherpa but noticed Rutland Cycling have the high latitude for £199.

Free Member

@Infernocup, Yes I would say the TB would fit on 30mm rim clearance is plenty on the 25mm. I can try and sort some pics out but will be later in the week.

I like the ride but its only had a couple of outings and still tweaking bits. Id check the head angle between the two frames and make sure its slack enough for your style.

honourablegeorge

mattjg – Member
    Thx for info. I measured my Pikes at about 72mm at the pinch point, so no go really. Rats.

Here’s hoping the 2.8 Nic comes in.

bike-components.de have the 2,8 Nic in Pacestar in stock now, and Merlin have the 3,0 Trailstar.

Would very much like to see a pic of either in a 29″ Pike (non boost) if anyone has them.

wiggles
    Free Member

honourablegeorge – Member

wiggles – Member
    ordered a nobby nic 3.0 Snakeskin trailstar

From where[/quote]

Merlin, not sure how they have any as I work in a bike shop and none of our schwalbe suppliers even have it listed yet!

honourablegeorge

wiggles – Member

Merlin, not sure how they have any as I work in a bike shop and none of our schwalbe suppliers even have it listed yet!

🙂

Interested to hear how they size up once you get it

Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 752 total)

The topic ‘650b+ (and other plus sizes if you like) – rim, tyre, frame, fork combinations,’ is closed to new replies.