• This topic has 6 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Alex.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 650b+ (2.8") Dual-ply tyres
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

Who makes ’em?

So far, all I can find is Maxxis DHR/DHF, Rekon and High Roller. Anyone else?

BadlyWiredDog

The WTB Ranger TCS Tough may not be technically dual ply, but the sidewalls are properly thick, serious things. If you’re looking for a 2.8 tyre that’s hard to pinch flat, it’s the obvious choice.

Are are you sure those Maxxis tyres are dual ply or just EXO with Dual Compound rubber btw?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Thats a good point. I think its the formatting of nextdaytyres website on my phone. Exo with Dual-Compound after all. WTB Ranger could be worth a look. Cheaper than the Maxxis too.
    Presently running Apex-lined Nobby Nics. No pinch flats yet, but I’ve not ridden on particularly rocky trails on them yet.
    I’m heading to the Alps for the Mega, so want some decent tough tyres. I’ll be running Huck Norris liners to prevent pinch flats, its the sidewall gashing I want to avoid too.

BadlyWiredDog

The TCS Tough casing thing is about as tough as it gets so far I think. Before I fitted one on the back of my hardtail, I’d pinch-flatted / killed the sidewalls on a Trailblazer (just don’t) and Rocket Ron (similarly) and a Rekon+ (better but no cigar).

The Ranger’s a pretty decent, reasonably quick / reasonably grippy dry conditions tyre ime. It’s quite heavy compared to the lighter-weight stuff that’s out there and you can feel that a little, but it’s worth it just to not pinch flat every ride.

I’d actually reached the point where I was going to fit Pro Core before I tried the Ranger Tough, but it seems to have sorted it out. Might work well on the back with a Rekon or something toothier up front depending on how hard you’re going to be hitting stuff.

Alex

After reading Jon’s post (BWD up there ^^) I bought a WTB TCS Ranger 2.8 for £33. That’s less than half of what Maxxis charge for a 2.8 tyre. It’s really quite a monster – my concern is the sidewalls are so thick they’ll lose some of the cush you get on the chubbies. Won’t be fitting it for a bit until the trails dry out but it certainly look like it’ll be one half of my Spain combo.

It’s heavy tho. I think about 1050gr compared to 860 for Rekon. NN are even less but they are made out of soft cheese. I have the 3.0 non tough ranger on my Stache and rate it so I’m hoping for good things when I fit this on the rear of the Mojo

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Thanks Alex. Tough Ranger may be a good spare tyre for the Alps, along with whatever 2.5/2.6 options there are from Maxxis with the DH casing.

Alex

I’m pondering a chubby on the front and a WideTrail on the back. Be interesting to try that combo or the same reversed. I picked up the double down variant of the WT when I bought mine and they are properly heavy and industrially built. For uplifts I reckon they’d be awesome. Not sure when the 2.6s are coming out, pretty soon I think but Steve at Next Day Tyres tells me Maxxis are pretty useless in delivering to a published timescale!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘650b+ (2.8") Dual-ply tyres’ is closed to new replies.