Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 63mm fork replacement
  • mrbotticelli

Picked up 2004 Trek 820 for one of my children. The forks had no movement and on taking them apart the springs disintegrated as the were so rusted. So I’m looking for some cheap replacements, but 63mm travel forks are rare.

I assume that some 80mm forks would be OK as long as the axel to crown distance is not to much bigger than the 438mm of the original forks.

Original spec is here

Any sub £100 options worth considering?

andrewh
    Free Member

Try ebay for some old SIDs, they were 63mm when they first came out.

chestrockwell

Go to retrobike. Some one will sort you out some 63mm travel forks in good condition no worries.

kimbers

get some old floats and space them down?

mrbotticelli

Thanks for the replies.

Wondered about what my options were like with changing the travel on current 80/100mm forks down to something closer to the right size, but hadn’t considered Retrobike so will have a look over there.

Have been looking a eBay and haven’t felt inspired to bid on anything yet.

Wondered how much I could extend the crown to axle length without the head tube being ripped off?

Cheers

chestrockwell

I’d have thought 80mm would be fine but wouldn’t go to 100mm.

mrbotticelli

Thanks for the replies.

Have gone for a new set of 2014 Rockshox XC32 Solo Air 100mm which I believe can be adjusted down to 80mm using an internal spacer (do the spacers normally come in the forks?) Rough calculations suggest these will add about 20mm to the crown to axle height, but it’s probably even less allowing for some sag.

Being Air they will be adjustable to my lads weight and we can move them onto other bikes as he grows and can put them back up to 100mm when needed.

Got the forks for just under £140 delivered, so more expensive than 2nd hand, but they should give a few years of use.

Look out for a series of how do I adjust my forks, cut the steerer type breads next weekend! 🙂

Thanks again to those who replied.

Look out for a series of how do I adjust my forks, cut the steerer type breads next weekend!

I like a nice wholegrain – unless it involves bacon, then has to be a nasty white.

However, for cutting steerers – measure twice, cut once and if you aren’t totally cack handed, a hacksaw is fine, but a pipe cutter gives a better finish.

mrbotticelli

Lol, always enjoy the auto corrected typos that appear in threads 😉

And I’m with you on bread choice, white for sausages as well!

There’s a pipe cutter somewhere in the garage, will have to try and find it in the week.

mrbotticelli

Argh, thought I had these forks all sorted.

I ordered some of these Rockshox XC32 TK Solo Air 100mm which I planned to shorten to 80mm based on this SRAM Service Guide

I had a problem with the order and ended up on the phone and asked whether the forks came with the travel adjust spacers to shorten the forks and the guy I spoke to was adamant that adjustment wasn’t possible without buying a new cartridge.  He thought adjustment was only possible on the Dual Air’s.

Anyone have any experience of shortening travel on these forks?  Do I have the right idea, or is the guy at Alltricks right?  Are the spacers included?

RustyMac

Don’t know about those exact forks but as they are the bottom of the range I would expect them to be using old tech and as so be adjustable with spacers as per the sram guide.

The new pikes for example do need a new cartridge.

mrbotticelli

Thanks Rusty, I know the coil variants need a new spring, but hoped the solo airs were adjustable.

Have emailed SRAM distribution in France for clarification.

andrewh
    Free Member

And I’m with you on bread choice, white for sausages as well!

There’s a pipe cutter somewhere in the garage, will have to try and find it in the week.

Baggette?

mrbotticelli

Floury bap for bacon or sausage, baguette for bacon and brie. 🙂

On the subject of forks, is it possible to adjust the travel Of the XC32 TK Solo Airs as detailed in this service guide without replacing the oil?

I’m wondering whether I can turn the forks upside down, compress them, and then undo the bottom of the legs, then undo the air spring assembly, make the changes and put it all back together. Will this keep all the oil in the lower of the legs, or will it all run out when I remove the spring assembly?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘63mm fork replacement’ is closed to new replies.