Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 6'2"- What size cross bike?
  • chestrockwell

Hello all. I’m considering a cross bike as I just don’t seem to have the time to get out on the MTB at the moment so am coming round to the idea of having a bike I can just grab and go out for an hour or so on.

Problem is I don’t really know where to start with sizing. I had a sit on a couple yesterday and narrowed it down to 58 or 60cm. The 60cm probably felt a bit better but both felt alright. My worry with the 60cm is that it’s classed as XXL in some quarters and I usually ride 19″ish MTB’s as I find the 21″ bikes too big. I guess if I go bigger I could shorten the stem etc?

I know I should test a few but I might not have time as I have my eye on a couple that are discounted until the end of today so need to act fast.

Any advise will be appreciated. 😀

JoB
    Free Member

depends

i’d say a 58 – 60 is in the right ball-park but as different manufacturers size their bikes differently both in seat-tube and top-tube lengths it’s impossible to say

you’re going to have to sit on a few really, preferably with someone that knows about CX bikes, but i would say that i’ve observed it’s really common for MTBers to buy their first CX bike too small because they like the lots-of-seatpin thing and not so much reach to the bars

chestrockwell

Thanks Jo. Looking at an Orange RX9 discounted down to £600 or £700 depending on spec.

The 58cm has a 585 ETT where as the 60cm has 600. Reckon I should probably get the 60cm as it has more scope to shorten.

JoB
    Free Member

i’d have a look around, the Orange RX9 is expensive for what it is, and what it is isn’t amazing, even at discount

TiRed

58. You can make the stem longer but you can’t shorten the top tube. More weight over the front will feel better.

The Boardman I saw in Halfords looks good value if you like Silver bikes. CAADX is another good choice and they do come up rather large. M/L TCX would also be another option.

ahwiles
    Free Member

6’2″ with long legs, 60cm works for me*, especially offroad.

(*a few different bikes)

shedbrewed
    Free Member

6’2″ with 33″ legs.
    Race on a Canyon L (57) with 110mm stem
    Previously raced on Specialized 58 with 100mm stem.
    Spec was better and I’ll be selling the Canyon next year.
    Winter road bike is 57cm TT, summer is 58cm TT but steeper head angle.

TomB

6’3″, my cannondale caadx is a 58, my cube road bike is a 62. Different manufacturers seem to vary so always check. If it’s not for racing there are a fair few adventure/gravel bikes that may be more appropriate than a CX racer.

daver27
    Free Member

Same height 58cm Norco Threshold here, perfect. For sale if you are interested (shameless plug…)

chestrockwell

Thanks all, food for thought. I’ve decided to wait until the March c2w window so have more chance to check it out now. Bursting to get out more often but struggle to fit it all in. Might make one of my retro bikes a bit more comfortable for regular use.

chestrockwell

Oh, and only chose the Orange due to a long history with the brand and the hefty discount available this weekend. I’ll be picking your collective brains in the new year.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Same height and 34 inch inside leg and have had 58cm in the past.
    This is convention frame geometry (eg:non compact frame with level top tube).
    Currently riding a Giant TCX which is a large but is a compact frame and measures 55.5 seat tube.
    This fits well so try before you buy!
    Thanks,
    Max

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘6'2"- What size cross bike?’ is closed to new replies.