Viewing 14 posts - 201 through 214 (of 214 total)
  • 62 points and still on the road
  • funkmasterp

😆 at mountain bikers being bothered by wind and rain 😉

I must admit I tend to use the car more in winter too. That’s the solution then, we need some kind of weather machine or system of underground tunnels to avoid rain and wind!

Why are we a nation of fat people? Hmmmm 😀

Sandwich

I’ve just been to the shops, about a mile away.

Only other option is walk or cycle. It’s pi55ing with rain plus windy.

Oh, and about 200 feet lower, so a climb all the way home.

I believe the standard answer here is HTFU Princess. It’s a bit of wet and gravity. 😉
    With all the money not spent on VED, Insurance and depreciation most of us could afford Assos kit.

Cougar

I’m working on the Jambourgie staggered test approach whereby you have to pass muster on two wheels before four.

Whilst I’d love it if more people took a bike test (it improved my driving no end), there’s a problem here in that not everyone who drives is capable of riding a bike. Plenty of physical disabilities that would preclude it, for a start.

Oh, apart from reversing into that bollard in a car park!

How fast was it going? (-:

kerley
    Free Member

From the moment you pass your test you should get better at driving. If you’re getting worse then either the test/training was too short/easy or you’re a moron.

You can get better at driving technically (car control etc,.) but nobody gets better than they were during the test conditions from an observation, speed, adhering to every law etc,.

If you had to take a test in the next 5 minutes with no preparation I would put money on you failing and you walking away afterwards calling yourself a moron….

funkmasterp

Whilst I’d love it if more people took a bike test (it improved my driving no end), there’s a problem here in that not everyone who drives is capable of riding a bike. Plenty of physical disabilities that would preclude it, for a start.

In this theoretical world I think you’d get a pass for disabilities. Maybe just taken out in a sidecar for s set number of hours? 😉

The only time I’ve ever had an incident in my car is reversing in to my own bloody driveway (twice) when people have parked illegally all over the street making access really tricky. Smashed my rear light on the fixings for an old gatepost the first time and scraped the rear wing along the wall the second time 😳

sbob
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

I cannot believe you are advocating giving drivers free reign over how fast they go. That’s insane.

It’s reality.
    There are (a huge number of) roads with a 60mph limit (for cars) that cannot be negotiated at 60mph.
    Every single driver that negotiates one of those roads has chosen a suitable speed, and your beloved speed limit has had zero effect.
    Not sure why you struggle to accept this fact.

jambourgie
    Free Member

If you had to take a test in the next 5 minutes with no preparation I would put money on you failing and you walking away afterwards calling yourself a moron….

Only because I’m drunk. Give me half an hour to sober up at least.

funkmasterp

It’s reality.
    There are (a huge number of) roads with a 60mph limit (for cars) that cannot be negotiated at 60mph.
    Every single driver that negotiates one of those roads has chosen a suitable speed, and your beloved speed limit has had zero effect.
    Not sure why you struggle to accept this fact.

There’s a road near me where that didn’t really happen. Speed limit has now been reduced to 40. The number of occasions before this where you would see vehicles in fields, embedded in walls or in ditches was ridiculous. Some people will see a 60 sign and take it that that is the speed they are supposed to drive at. As has been stated numerous times, there are some staggeringly inept people out there.

whitestone
    Free Member

If only that were true.

There are two bits of road within 400m of our house where drivers regularly get it wrong: sharp right hand bend to avoid that rather big farm building straight ahead? No I’ll just drive through the stone wall instead! Crossroads with a give way sign and marking? Sod that I’m going straight across!

And then of course you get the classic: “The car lost control”. No it fekking didn’t you idiot, “You lost control”

br
    Free Member

I believe the standard answer here is HTFU Princess. It’s a bit of wet and gravity.
    With all the money not spent on VED, Insurance and depreciation most of us could afford Assos kit. [/I]

Aye, and you’d get the 4.8m lengths of timber back how?

br
    Free Member

And many others that aren’t safe at that speed in the wrong conditions, a bit like a wet rush hour in a 30 zone.

I don’t drive to the speed limit, I drive to what’s safe (for me and everyone else). Which is why I’m just as happy doing 25mph with a queue behind me as I am doing 120mph (when making ‘progress’ 🙂 ).

funkmasterp

120mph – where are you doing this? Did you have somebody on the verge of death in the car with you? Were you in some sort of elaborate movie plot similar to Speed? If not, why would you ever need to travel at that speed?

I admit that motorway speeds could probably be raised above 70, but 120 is very fast.

br
    Free Member

I admit that motorway speeds could probably be raised above 70, but 120 is very fast.

Except when you drop BACK to 120mph it doesn’t 🙂

When I lived in Germany on the local (unlimited) Autobanh most cars are doing 80ish, a few are going quicker and the odd one was seriously fast.

We use to go out on Sunday mornings on the motorbikes to bait the fast boys. I remember one day we covered the 40 mile between two junctions in 15 mins.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Yes Molgrips, that is exactly what I didn’t say.

Viewing 14 posts - 201 through 214 (of 214 total)

The topic ‘62 points and still on the road’ is closed to new replies.