• This topic has 7 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by PJay.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 61903 & 6903 bearings – are they the same?
  • PJay
    Free Member

I’m about to replace the rear wheel bearings (those within the shell not the freehub) on my Hope Pro 2 Evo hub. Hope’s exploded diagram of the hub lists the bearings as 30×17 S61930 2RS whilst the seals on the cartridges I’ve removed simply say Hope S-17x30x7.

The bearing I’ve ordered online appear to have been lost in the post so I’ve gone to the LBS for generic ones. I’ve noticed the the replacement bearings I ordered online for the Evo hub are actually listed as 6903; Wiggle also have a 6903 option (but no 61903) on their Hope bearing page. The bearings from the LBS are also marked 6903 and seem the perfect match.

Various sites seem to suggest that they’re interchangeable or list them as 61903/6903. can I use the 6903 bearings in the Hope Pro 2 Evo hub?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Yes.

PJay
    Free Member

Cheers!

PJay
    Free Member

Now why can’t I knock them in straight!! I’ve got the proper Hope tools too. Every time they go in at an angle and I have to drift them out again; I’m worried about damaging them.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Now why can’t I knock them in straight!! I’ve got the proper Hope tools too. Every time they go in at an angle and I have to drift them out again; I’m worried about damaging them.

I have noticed this, results in lumpy bearing ! in my opinion it is because the bearing drift tool acts on the inner race of the bearing rather than the outer race which is the one that fits in close to the hub body, I managed with a 1/2 inch drive socket that had an outer diameter about 1mm less than the bearing, I also used a length of 10mm threaded rod, nuts and washers to press the bearing home.

PJay
    Free Member

Problem solved (fingers crossed that I haven’t damaged the bearings). The chap on the Hope ‘How To’ video was using a hard nylon hammer whilst I just have a rubber mallet in the bike toolbox. I think that the rubber mallet was giving uneven pressure when used and perhaps moving the bearing tool around a bit. As soon as I used a steel claw hammer I could tap the bearings in easily. The non-driveside bearing was a doddle as it’s automatically centred and held in place by the axle.

Job done (hopefully).

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Use hope drift and threaded rod next time, despite what hope say, bearings shouldn’t be walloped with a mallet.

PJay
    Free Member

Well it was more of a tap that a wallop; I was just following Hope’s own’How To’ video.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘61903 & 6903 bearings – are they the same?’ is closed to new replies.