Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 89 total)
  • 60mph Bike
  • somafunk

Need more information as i want a jet engine, i ‘d be happy enough to fire it up and just just listen to that shut down whine.

What’s the rough estimate for such an engine/electronic control gear?

legend
    Free Member

*goes to check British ENDURO Series rules*

trademark
    Free Member

I love these kind of experiments 🙂
    If you’re in North England or Scotland I’d gladly test it for top speed if you’re apprehensive or just simply want to live longer.

Brilliant!

caspian
    Free Member

Could you bolt one to the bottom of my Volvo XC90 please? Cash waiting.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Great bit of bodging going off there 🙂 ….Trouble is that there’s virtually nowhere you can use it safely and legally…..

leffeboy

….Trouble is that there’s virtually nowhere you can use it safely and legally…..

which is of course what makes it great

jetbike
    Free Member

@ PeterPoddy: well this is what Jeremy Clarkson had to say about it in this video, not sure if any of this has changed since. For now I’m treating it as being illegal on public roads. But there are plenty of back roads and tracks nearby I can go on.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nYMwd9dmUw[/video]

Shermer 75: This is technically a Jet Engine, not sure why the industry call small jet engines ‘Turbines’. A turbine is essentially a fan shaped object that has a medium passing through it making it rotate.

Somafunk: If you want something small just to run in your back yard I can help out with that.

Trademark: I do live in north England, Cumbria in fact. if you near and want to come have a look then let me know.

Caspian: I can bolt on of these to pretty much anything 🙂

epicyclo

Meanwhile I’ve gone and checked the pricing.

Tadpole trike + 4 of those motors would be more fun than just about anything. Maybe it would be safer (that being a relative term) using a gokart chassis.

Just imagine the fun of reverse thrust braking…. 🙂

Edit:
    This could also revolutionise kayaking…

dirtydog
    Free Member

Caspian: I can bolt on of these to pretty much anything

Just sayin 8)

aracer
    Free Member

Well technically I think it’s a jet turbine or turbojet – as opposed to a pulse jet or ram jet which doesn’t have rotating parts. Assuming it does have a rotating compressor and turbine?

hammyuk
    Free Member

Now THAT looks epic fun!!!

jetbike
    Free Member

Good news. I went out on the bike this afternoon and I’m still alive, and I have some more video to upload 8)

Aracer: thanks for the heads up on the wheel reflectors, I thought I was getting a strange wobble coming from them.

Mikeypies
    Free Member

have you got a link for the engine?

jetbike
    Free Member

Well here is the first video, building up the guts to go faster on each run. The footage was taken with my phone and the wide angle lens makes it seem slower?. At around 40mph the steering felt a bit shaky might need a steering damper, or maybe it was me shaking because I was so cold.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLdW7ycgaCw[/video]

trademark
    Free Member

Trademark: I do live in north England, Cumbria in fact. if you near and want to come have a look then let me know.

That’s great, thanks jetbike.
    I’m NE England but regularly in Cumbrian hills.

Cheers.

choppersquad
    Free Member

That is just bloody great.
    Love the noise when you zoom past.
    The world needs more loons like you.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Have just upset the dogs listening too that. AWESOME, now when are you flogging one with full reheat!

brakes
    Free Member

the noise is just ridiculous – sounds like it’s been dubbed. love it.

ps44
    Free Member

Agree with Ming. Afterburner needed.

breadcrumb

That’s **** brilliant!

Where abouts in Cumbria are you?

jetbike
    Free Member

Here is the second video. The afterburner for this would be cool but they very thirsty.
    Reached 45mph on the last video, I was still accelerating but my bravery was running out.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tN_0C8DUF8g[/video]

aracer
    Free Member

Careful getting your leg over

myopic
    Free Member

Does your foot pass through the engine exhaust when you mount like that? 😯

Also watch how you build up speed. A lot of road bikes build up an oscillation at certain speeds on certain surfaces because of the harder tyres and buildup of surface vibrations. Less of a problem with mtb because the softer tyre acts as a damper. Google shimmy or speed wobble!

Otherwise -awesome and looking forwards to more!

epicyclo

Max looniness!

Afterburners please.

Keep it coming… 🙂

thenorthwind

Slacker head angle would help with steering stability (steering axis is further in front of the contact point). Probably not that helpful now I know.

Keep up the good work!

epicyclo

thenorthwind – Member
    Slacker head angle would help with steering stability (steering axis is further in front of the contact point).

No, steeper with more trail.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Very nice.

Just out of interest don’t the wheels need to be balanced when doing high speeds?

jetbike
    Free Member

Mikeypies: There isn’t a link, but if you want to know more just email me at gbjetbike@gmail.com

Breadcrumb: I’m in Penrith. Email me if you want to pop by.

busta
    Free Member

Because there is little need for pedalling efficiently, you could do some pretty drastic things with your riding position to get your body lower and flatter. There are some big gains to be made in reducing air resistance! The gravity bike suggestion is spot on.

benp1

The noise on that is awesome, seriously awesome

AlexSimon

Props

oh… hang on…

cheddarchallenged
    Free Member

very cool effort there but at the risk of being a killjoy, probably best not to do it on a public road or do it next to any fields with livestock in them – you don’t want to start animals panicking and running into fences etc. Other than that, top marks!

jairaj

Absolutely fantastic!

Can I join the waiting list to get a car conversion kit please. 😆

jetbike
    Free Member

myoptic: no my leg doesn’t pass through the hot gases. The hot air mixes very quickly with the surrounding air and cools very quickly. Makes for a nice had warmer at half a meter 🙂

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Don’t think 60 is close enough to “high speeds” to make it an issue, unless they are buckled or otherwise knackered.
    I mean, road wheels aren’t balanced and I’ve had knocking on for 70 going down some mountain passes. And probably only 10-15mph slower on the mountain bike.

aracer
    Free Member

60 is probably high enough for the unbalance due to the reflectors to start to cause issues, as that will make the wheel far more out of balance than normal 😉

breadcrumb

Breadcrumb: I’m in Penrith. Email me if you want to pop by.

Might do. Hat’s off to you!

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Dropped bars, aero tuck, lycra, and then you’ll need disc brakes.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Kinda think I recognise that road!

Brillaint effort, love it! Def needs strapped to a different bike though!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I reckon we chip in to pay Jedi expenses from Herts up to Cumbria!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘60mph Bike’ is closed to new replies.