Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • £60 million Bitcoin theft in progress…
  • wwaswas

and the victims are chasing the people who did it around the internet as I type.

Fascinating how the technology not only helps the thief but also those trying to track them down.

http://www.newstatesman.com/future-proof/2013/12/theres-%C2%A360m-bitcoin-heist-going-down-right-now-and-you-can-watch-real-time

Keeping them in a landfill site in Newport seems quite a sensible move…

Stoner
    Free Member

my head hurts.
    who did what now?

warton
    Free Member

not a clue what that article was going on about.

one thing that confused me about silk road, and sheep. say you bought some drugs, surely you’d give the seller your address and he’d post the drugs? wouldn’t mail carriers realise, I assume they employ measures to stop drug dealers using their service?

wwaswas

my head hurts.
    who did what now?

In summary:

Someone hacked a database (possibly one of the site owners).

They’ve been trying to launder the stolen bit coins through various exchange sites to hide their tracks.

The problem is that the size of the transactions means that they can be easily traced.

Sui
    Free Member

reading that link, you have people who have got entire life savings in bitcoins stolen, and I must agree with posters on the “Hah you idiot” side.. Fools the lot of them..

richpips
    Free Member

I like the way you can “watch it in progress” gripping stuff.

f359518b3da0f433b2c84c1c4ec35d442ae09ad83dfb7b21f7fb317a05096e50 FTW.

zilog6128

reading that link, you have people who have got entire life savings in bitcoins stolen,

That’s not how I interpreted the posts, just sounds like eBegging to me! Is that what we’re going to have to put up with now on the internet? Loads of people posting wallet IDs and saying “spare a fraction mister?”

martinhutch

Are the majority of transactions on Sheepmarketplace narcotics or other contraband-related a la SilkRoad of old? Why would anyone innocently store their savings there?

maxtorque

It’s funny who modern tech makes “theft” easier because you are “stealing” an entirely virtual artifact stored in the bitstream of an electronic device! In fact, is it even “theft”?

(back, in the day, you needed a few mates, a couple of sawnoffs, and at least a transit van to steal any meaningful sum of money! 😉

wwaswas

The comments are people asking for money. The codes are, effectively, their account numbers.

Flaperon

Good. No sympathy with anyone in the Bitcoin movement; the ones with the most deserve to lose the most.

Torminalis
    Free Member

No sympathy with anyone in the Bitcoin movement

Well speaking as someone who has seen a 10000% increase in their investment in the last 18 months, I really think I will do okay without your sympathy.

jambourgie
    Free Member

ne thing that confused me about silk road, and sheep. say you bought some drugs, surely you’d give the seller your address and he’d post the drugs? wouldn’t mail carriers realise, I assume they employ measures to stop drug dealers using their service?

Sheer amount being sent I guess. And the size of the goods involved. You could hide six acid tabs behind a postage stamp for example.

Allegedly

chrisdw
    Free Member

One question…

What’s a bit coin?

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

This whole bitcoin story from the start is completely brilliant. It’ll be a put onto film one day for sure.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Have they caught him yet 😉

matt_outandabout

Back in the day it was all cockney’s, Jan’s and bags of schwag.
    They were the days.

Fueled
    Free Member

This whole bitcoin story from the start is completely brilliant. It’ll be a put onto film one day for sure.

+1

The whole thing is utterly fascinating to follow. I have no idea how they would cast Satoshi Nakamoto though…

faz083
    Free Member

It’s funny who modern tech makes “theft” easier because you are “stealing” an entirely virtual artifact stored in the bitstream of an electronic device! In fact, is it even “theft”?

Not entirely true. Think of bitcoins as credit (or even debit). They just have to be withdrawn to make ‘real’ money out of them. They can be sold to other users in exchange for real money…

maxtorque

But surely that^^ is what all “Money” is. It simply allows the owner of it to exchange it for goods or services? But when it was real, and often big and heavy physically, it was harder to steal! 😉

CountZero

Well, if I hacked your online bank account, transferred the ‘contents’ via various convoluted means into another account, withdrew the contents through a meatspace facilitator, (bank) and legged it, would you consider that theft?
    I mean, there was nothing ‘real’ involved, it was all ‘virtual’, up to the point the ‘virtual’ was turned into ‘real’, pretty much the same as Bitcoin.

piemonster

You lot will be telling you’re real next.

Well you’re not, and that’s that.

scaredypants

MODS !!

I think piemonster is becoming self-aware

bruneep

I really dont understand this 😕

steve_b77
    Free Member

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitcoin -> still haven’t got a **** clue

wwaswas

the only difference between Bitcoins and ‘real’ money is that Bitcoins don;t have a government behind them and that there is a finite number of Bitcoins available – you can’t just create more to satisfy demand and devalue them.

piemonster

I think piemonster is becoming self-aware

Put like this, it doesn’t seem likely.

daveh
    Free Member

I feel old.
    Or stupid.
    Perhaps both.

bruneep

Nope none the wiser, so “if” I wanted to buy a Bitcoin what do I do?

wwaswas

Find some one selling bitcoins and buy one.

You have am online wallet/bank account to store them in.

headfirst
    Free Member

Do they take bitcoins at Nando’s?

If not, I’m out.

wwaswas

Think of it like PayPal you have top transfer money to a real bank account to spend it in a restaurant

molgrips
    Free Member

Can you not just mine them?

mudshark
    Free Member

Well you can mine coal too but it’s not the easiest way to get hold of it.

molgrips
    Free Member

Depends how much you want. Up the mountain by my Nan’s you can pick it out of streams 🙂

fourbanger
    Free Member

This is the first time I’ve felt like I’m turning into my dad. WTF is this all about?

molgrips
    Free Member

1) A Bitcoin is an electronic token that has a unique key. You can create them (aka mine them) by creating the key, but it takes a lot of computing power a bit like finding a big prime number.

2) There is a finite number of them so they can’t inflate, in theory.

3) They aren’t controlled by any government, and transactions are untraceable.

Now here’s what I don’t understand:

1) As computing power improves, won’t it be easier to find new ones?

2) If there’s a finite supply it must surely deflate. Which rewards people hoarding them, and enourages people not to spend them…?

3) The exchange rate seems far more volatile than most real currencies which kind of defeats the object of using it as a real currency. I don’t want my savings to be that volatile ta.

The cynic in me imagines that it’s a big fat scam that made a lot of money for the creators.

zokes
    Free Member

1) As computing power improves, won’t it be easier to find new ones?

The key gets harder as the rate of success in mining increases. Currently it would cost most home users more in electricity to keep their computer processing than they would earn with the bit coin

Dunno about the rest – thems economics questions…

csb

So someone has nicked a load of unique numbers, but to make any money out of it they need to sell them to someone else for real money, at which point the new owner pays dolars/pounds and this will presumably go into a real bank account?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘£60 million Bitcoin theft in progress…’ is closed to new replies.