Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • 60 mile daily commute…by bike
  • molgrips
    Free Member

My record for Cardiff to Bristol was 2h9m or 19.5mph. That’s the far East of Cardiff to central Bristol, an average of 19.5mph. Wasn’t too unhappy with that I must say. That was on a full road bike with very little luggage as above. Usually about 2h20-30 though.

DT78
    Free Member

I was talking about a pretty flat 2hr ride – I’d be expecting late 19s low 20s. Depending on wind and that would be with a rest day either side.

Last months century was 17.4, last 50 19.6, last 35 20.2, on the fast bike with minimal kit.

For 5×60 with some kit on a heavier bike I thought a realistic pace would be around 15.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Fair enough. I can average high 20’s for 8 miles of my commute, its downhill and if I catch all the lights and have a tailwind – but I wouldn’t say ‘I can average high 20’s on my commute’.

Last months century was 17.4, last 50 19.6, last 35 20.2, on the fast bike with minimal kit.

Less impressive but far more believable 🙂

I still reckon you’ll average more than 15mph though. At the moment I’m about 18mph in and 16ish home depending on the wind.

finbar
    Free Member

For 5×60 with some kit on a heavier bike I thought a realistic pace would be around 15.

Sounds sensible to me if it’s a predominantly rural route. Depends how hard you push it I guess. I tend to be very leisurely on my commutes as I don’t want to be tired at work, or on the ride home.

I averaged 18mph for 240 ish miles on Saturday (London to York), but I wasn’t commuting 😉

brassneck

Think you’d be about right.

It’s all about the time – 2 hours each of a day with only yourself to please, go for it it you fancy it, the fitness will come if it isn’t there already.

My commute is around 50Km and only happens maybe twice a week due to family commitments. Just takes a bit of an overrun at work and I’m not home till 7 which can be a problem.

Are you going along the West Quay road? Wouldn’t fancy that any time of day myself!

njee20
    Free Member

This is fast descending into pointless willy waving about average speeds.

A couple of observations:
    – commuting being the bulk of my riding I want to do that on the nicest bike possible, gets it out the way faster too, sod riding a heavy bike with a rack because that’s what a “commuter bike” should be
    – Driving halfway really does work well, just find a free rural car park somewhere and leave the car

finbar
    Free Member

This is fast descending into pointless willy waving about average speeds.

Well, yes, but isn’t that what commuting threads are for 😉 ?

commuting being the bulk of my riding I want to do that on the nicest bike possible, gets it out the way faster too, sod riding a heavy bike with a rack because that’s what a “commuter bike” should be

Do you need to carry much? I’ve got a laptop, d-lock, change of clothes etc. with me when I commute.

njee20
    Free Member

No, and I’d not ride a 60 mile round trip if I was carrying all that crap! That stays at the office, having been carried in on days I don’t ride!

Particularly why can’t you leave the lock at work?

mrblobby
    Free Member

A 60 mile daily commute sounds like a good way to take the fun out of road riding to me. I’d love to get out for that sort of ride each day, but having to do it, doing it at the start and end of a working day, doing it at commuter times probably in commuter traffic, lugging work kit, think I’d get sick of it pretty quickly. A couple of days a week might be nice though, and probably fit quite well with training.

Gary_M
    Free Member

but having to do it, doing it at the start and end of a working day, doing it at commuter times probably in commuter traffic, lugging work kit, think I’d get sick of it pretty quickly.

I don’t have to do it though, I could take the car but I’d much rather ride, whatever the weather. I love doing it at the end of the day, by the time I get home work is long forgotten about. I wouldn’t fancy carrying all that lot though.

dunmail
    Free Member

Pretty well all my kit stays at work: trousers; shoes; jumper; lock; towel. I also leave a pair of socks and underpants at work just in case I forget 8) So all I need to take on the bike are: socks; underpants; t-shirt; keys; wallet; phone. In addition there’s the usual bike spares plus waterproof. Towel gets swapped weekly, trousers as and when I think they need a wash.

So there’s a little bit of “bootstrapping” to get things there and set up but once that’s done I’ve actually got very little to carry for most day to day commutes.

DT78
    Free Member

re willy waving – I was challenged! I said low 20’s was doable over tha distance…but I felt 15 was realistic day in day out

No idea what I can or can’t leave in the office at the moment as I don’t actually work for them yet. Trying to make my mind up about the offer. I’d probably pick up a ribble or planet x £1k special with a tyre change and some guards they should be quick and comfortable enough.

I don’t reckon riding one way leaving car or bike is an option as I’d not be comfortable about leaving either overnight. Train is out as the station is a reasonable way

finbar
    Free Member

Particularly why can’t you leave the lock at work?

I could if I bought another lock, which I should do really…

thecaptain
    Free Member

Riding 60m each day there’s probably not much point taking the laptop home either 😉

one way commute sounds best to me (or alternate days, or some other part-time/part-way system). I personally wouldn’t want to do more than about 2h per day – but have happily done up to 90 mins long term.

njee20
    Free Member

I don’t reckon riding one way leaving car or bike is an option as I’d not be comfortable about leaving either overnight.

You do half and half. Park somewhere in Lyndhurst or somewhere and ride from/back to there. Not leaving anything overnight.

I don’t have to do it though, I could take the car but I’d much rather ride, whatever the weather. I love doing it at the end of the day, by the time I get home work is long forgotten about.

Mmmm, I suspect you’re in a bit of a minority there, not many folk (myself included) would want to do that day in day out, you’re absolutely right in the fact there’s no obligation being a good motivator etc etc. On the days I’ve ridden all the way to work I absolutely dread having to ride home frankly, it’s not relaxing at all, doing it consecutive days I’m just knackered and want to be at home!

Gary_M
    Free Member

I guess it depends on the route maybe. I’ve got about 6 miles of not too bad traffic then the rest is across a moor. If I was riding 20 miles across london my outlook may be different.

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

Average speed comparisons are a bit pointless, there is a big difference between a commute through london and a commute through the countryside.

Traffic, Lights, Crossings etc play a big part in your average speed in how much slowing down and accelerating you have to do.

m1kea
    Free Member

I know two guys who regularly do 30+ miles each way 3 – 5 days a week. One rides pretty much every day (20K miles per year) and sets off around 4:30 AM. T’other leaves around 5:30 for an 8 – 5 day.

I’m too bone idle to commit to that level of riding and as has already been mentioned, when it’s lashing it down, blowing a hooley and dark, the thought of 1.5+ hours to/from work doesn’t float me boat.

It’s really obvious but I’ll say it anyway; summer riding is quite different from a dark and dank winter trip.

singletrackmind

I ride in at weekends as my weekend work is not set in stone. its 28 miles and takes approx 1.45. The driving route is 32 miles and often takes 1 hour. The time difference isn’t so great and I have got in a good ride and not spent £8 on fuel.
    For your conundrum I would be looking at a New Forest car park around Picket Post, by the service station. Drive the M27 /A31 quick bit by car, then off the A31 and a lovely ride through and out the forest toward Hurn airport. No significant hills and some really nice riding roads , beware of the local wildlife though.

dudeofdoom

I do 20miles a day 5 days a week all year …. I wouldn’t want to do much more tbh there’s a cumulative affect so at the end of the week you really feel fatigued.

The best thing is to do the car bike thing and find a good parking spots so you can tailor the length of the ride to your mood.

Also think about punctures and lighting for the winter it’s all gotta be thought out and you need good stuff as a puncture or loss of lighting 30 miles from home is a giggle 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘60 mile daily commute…by bike’ is closed to new replies.