• This topic has 21 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by br.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • 60 mile commute – SV1000 or T-Max 500 ?
  • slimjim78
    Free Member

In two weeks time I start a 60 mile Round trip commute, taking in around 10 miles of lovely country A & B roads and 20 miles of A3/M25. In order to a avoid the inevitable traffic queues and save a bunch of time I intend to commute most year round by motorbike.

I have really rather nice SV1000 for the job, but my head has been turned somewhat by these maxi scoots. The only one I really would consider is the Yamaha TMAX, for which I’ll need to raise around 5k all in for a 3 or 4 year old with low mileage. The SV will earn me pretty much 2k dead for trading in/selling.

Do you think the convenience of extra storage/weather protection/lack of getting into leathers/slightly better MPG/cheaper running costs is worth the extra 3k+ outlay?

I’m not really worried about the stigma of riding a scoot, and I welcome the hop on and go flexibility, but I’d be sorry to see the SV go, plus the SV will not depreciate on anything like the same level as the Yamaha – however, the commute will take its toll on the Suzuki’s condition

I welcome your thoughts, particularly from maxi scooter users

The SV in question:

Said scooter:

slimjim78
    Free Member

Anyone?

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

You wouldn’t wear leathers on a maxi scoot? Are you less likely to fall off?

Take the SV. You’ve already got it, it’ll go on forever, it’ll be fun.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

you could also get the SV ACF50’d for the winter, and it probably wouldn’t suffer too badly.

amplebrew

I’d just use the SV and save yourself £3k and I’d still be wearing the same gear whether I was on the SV or the T-Max.

I’m not sure a 500cc scooter would save you that much money.

I’ve no personal experience of either bike, but according to MCN the SV should do around 41mpg and the T-Max 45mpg; so not a huge difference.

I bought a 100cc Honda Lead a few years ago to save using my R1 over the winter and it was great. I however only had a 15 mile each way commute on A and B roads and the scooter only cost £1200 brand new; so it was worth it. The Honda Lead did around 140mpg!!!

5thElefant
    Free Member

Tyres always proved the expensive part of commuting by bike fore me, but given you’ve got such a short commute I’d imagine it would be hard to recoup the saving on a super scooter. I’d stick with the SV.

tutgareth
    Free Member

the SV will be much more fun!

br
    Free Member

Just run the SV.

I find that on a big-scoot you are sat too low and they are wide for filtering (no room to put your feet down).

If you’ve not got heated grips, put some on ASAP, plus a top box.

I never worried about the impact on my bikes of an everyday commute (mine was a 90m round-trip), as the money I saved due to gaining a couple of hours per day plus additional earnings more than covered it.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Cycle and get fit at the same time as saving money

slimjim78
    Free Member

60 miles cycling per day plus fitting in a double nursery run is beyond me I’m afraid.

So what you’re all saying is… Stick with the SV.

Does seem the most sensible option. 300 miles per week will surely have a big effect on its general condition, but hey ho.

footflaps

Winter riding is what knackers bikes, all the salt spray etc. You soon see how could the chrome finish is on the bikes. I was very disappointed to find that my BMW1100 GS was very poor and developed rust all over the place after just a single winter, whereas my older Honda VFR750 was unaffected after many winters.

amplebrew

I would agree on what br said regarding the heated grips.

I’ve not long got a 12GSA with them fitted and they make a HUGE difference when it’s chilly. I can ride in my summer gloves no matter what the weather is doing.

I can’t see a £2k SV losing much more money now where as a £5k scooter will still have quite a bit of depreciating to do. You could probably commute for the next 12 months on the SV and it would still be worth around £1.5k.

Cover it in ACF50 and just give it quick a hose down with cold water when you get home.

mboy
    Free Member

100% definitely stick with the SV. And not just cos it will be more fun to ride.

Cost wise. Well. It’s worth £2k now, as a bag of nails high miler in 2 years time it will still be worth £1200 I bet. The Yamaha scooter will lose a LOT more than £800 in depreciation in the same time. I’d also bet that whilst the SV might cost £10 per week more in fuel, and tyres will be a bit more expensive (call it £600 per year extra for tyres and fuel), the extra costs will still not match the depreciation on the Scooter.

Plus, the SV is plenty capable of putting a smile on your face when the conditions and traffic allows. The scooter? I very much doubt it!

Spend a few hours now, doing your best to prep the SV for riding through the conditions. And also give it a bit of TLC each week or so to make sure its bit corroding itself to pieces and it will be more than up to the job. Or chop it in and find a VGC Honda VFR800, which will be cheaper to run, better built, more comfortable on the commute and more hardy against the conditions, and still plenty quick enough to put a smile on your face.

rockhopperbike

I think the servicing intervals are a bit more frequent on some of the big scoots- more days off the road to account for! stick with the SV- buy it a load of acf50 and treat it as a hack

footflaps

Also, fit a Scottoiler to it, will extend the life of the drive train masses and keep the rust at bay.

klumpy
    Free Member

If you’ve got a hankering for new wheels for rush hour commuting and have 5k to spend, then buy one of those rorty 690 KTMs.

Otherwise stick with the SV.

Heated grips are amazing, my winter hack seems to have expired taking my heated grips with it and I really miss them!!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Scoots rock.

Get the scoot.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You wouldn’t wear leathers on a maxi scoot? Are you less likely to fall off?

Yes. Scooters are a lot harder to crash.
    I don’t even own leathers any more, just textile stuff. Leathers are useless to me.

If you’ve got a hankering for new wheels for rush hour commuting and have 5k to spend, then buy one of those rorty 690 KTMs.

This is simply a stoooopid idea. Utterly impractical in every way. Fun? Yes. Commuter? No.

————————————————

Anyway, for what the OP wants a good scooter will piss all over the SV.
    We’ve got this

IMG_2187 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

And this:

Untitled by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

As for suggestions of commuting by supermoto and that something else will be more ‘fun’ then you’re talking rubbish 🙂
    Out of those two, the scooter is waaaaay better for commuting. It absolutely thrashes the pants of the ST3s in every way imaginable.
    Cheaper servicing and less often
    Less tyre wear
    25-30mpg MORE then the bike easily
    220mile tank range
    Better weather protection than any bike (This is the key)
    Massive storage space
    ABS and traction control (The ST3 has ABS too)
    £115 to insure
    ASTONISHING headlights (Don’t underestimate how useful that is)
    Better instruments (incl. USB port for phone charging and neat satnav mount for phone)
    More manœuvrable
    More comfortable
    Slimmer
    No gears to mess with.
    And actually top fun to ride, even 2-up. It barely notices a passenger.

I could go on…..

I recently did a 120 mile round trip every day for 2 weeks that was 65% motorway/25% Fast A road/10% town and it was superb in all weathers. It cruises beautifully at motorway speeds, handles tidily until it starts to scrape the floor and had enough poke to overtake any car I’ve yet to come up behind. I took the bike once and it was a pain in the arse.
    We can go into town, chuck helmets AND jackets into the topbox and under the seat and wander off in normal clothes.
    Youve gotta be absolutely crackers to have the money and nouse to think of a maxi scooter and then go get a bike.

By the way, that’s a Piaggio X10. 350cc, (Brand new engine design) 33bhp, quiet, smooth, very pokey, 70+ mpg (It’s even got an ‘Eco’ switchable injection map!) and they’re only £5100 brand new, and it’ll hold its value well because they’re rare. Having had 4 Italian scooters I’d stick with them too. Parts are cheap and easy to get should you need them, for a start. It’s a waaaay better bike than a T(K?)- Maxx

🙂

Make of that what you will…. 🙂

slimjim78
    Free Member

That’s an X10 above? You certainly sell it well. And yes, fun is all good, but weather protection is the thing that prevents any ride becoming a soul sapping experience

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yep, that’s an X10. Very rare bike actually, the only one I’ve ever seen!

but weather protection is the thing that prevents any ride becoming a soul sapping experience

It is. That’s why people suggesting using a naked bike all year round are wrong. I can go into town in steady rain with no waterproof trousers on, and still have mostly dry legs, certainly drier than cycling or walking there. The only downside is the screen is a bit low for me and I get some buffeting around my face. Earplugs sorts it if I’m going far or fast. 🙂
    I’ve had 5 scooters now (Gilera VXR 180, Peugeot Elystar* 150, a 150 Aprilia, a Vespa GT200 and this) I wouldn’t be without one now. For me it’s either the Italians or Honda for scooters, with the Italians winning because they have the best engines and the best style. Lowest I’ve had on the X10 is 70mpg (Actual, not trip computer) and the best was the last fill at 77mpg, which was all at motorway/fast A road speeds.

*The Pug was absolute shit. Avoid.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Have had a closer look at the x10, looks like a lot of bike for the money.

I’ve decided to put the SV on a years stay of execution, following which ill reconsider a scoot. Plus my dad has said he’d like to buy the Suzy from me next year.

br
    Free Member

Does seem the most sensible option. 300 miles per week will surely have a big effect on its general condition, but hey ho.

Its a £2k m/c, you can barely buy an MTB for that 🙂

This was my last commuter, bought specifically for the job – and what a good job it did. Any m/c will commute, in the past I put 50k on a zx9r doing 100 miles per day into London.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘60 mile commute – SV1000 or T-Max 500 ?’ is closed to new replies.