Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 60 mile commute
  • dunmail
    Free Member

So what happened to the guy who was wanting to commute 60 miles each way? How’s he getting on?

I’ve visions of an emaciated form unable to get to his keyboard to report progress 😀

ton

I do 30 a couple of days a week……….60 would be horrendous. 🙁

dunmail
    Free Member

I think that was the point we were trying to get across to him. I find 15miles each way to be hard enough, any more and I’d spend the weekends in bed! (being old and fat doesn’t help :lol:)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wilburt
    Free Member

Didn’t take the job, dithered like crazy and left it to the last minute but declined solely due to the commute.

My family said they were glad but didn’t want to sound like they were stopping me.

I also recently bumped into an old colleague who does work there and lives near me, he leaves the house and 5.30am and get back 7.30 pm five days a week.

So I earn a little less but there’s still enough for cars and holidays etc so no hardship and my present commute is short, sometimes by bike or I work at home so the lifestyle balance is excellent.

Overall I’m happy with the decision.

edit: reading that back doesnt reflect how difficult the decison was, it was great job and I would really liked to have been part of the company but just couldnt make it work(this time!).

flange
    Free Member

Mines 45 miles each way. Aim to do it twice a week. Today is the second time this week and everything hurts. Fair play to anyone that manages more than that…

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I’ve got an interview next week for a new contract. It’s about 32 miles each way through the flatlands of the New Forest.

I’m wondering if it’s doable on a bike. 320 miles a week just for commuting is a heck of a mileage 😯

It would have to be split up with some train/car days for a while to break me into it.

molgrips
    Free Member

32 miles on the flat – I’d do it. I’ve done 42 miles undulating a few times a week, that was harder 🙂

Get a time trial bike, head down, you’d be there in 1h20.

aP
    Free Member

I used to ride 20 miles each way across London from Twickenham to North Greenwich. It was ok, but with about 160 sets of traffic lights, it did get tough because of the constant stopping and starting. Being able to ride on less obstructed roads would make a longer ride much more acceptable.

ndthornton
    Free Member

160 sets of traffic lights

Wow, couldn’t do that – I have 2 sets in 22 miles and get really upset if they are on red

djambo
    Free Member

i regularly do 20 each way on country lanes on a fixie (on average 3 times a week i reckon). the lack of traffic/lights makes it very easy and I would most certainly consider more. 60 though….!?

40mpg

flatlands of the new forest

😆 😆 😆

You won’t think that by day 2!

oldgit
    Free Member

Used to do 37 miles each way every week day (North of Hemel to Staples Corner) My wife commuted and was out early, back late. No kids then either. Worst of it all was having to use wonder lights

martymac

Did 23 miles each way for a while, undulating terrain.
    I was pretty fit so didn’t notice any ill effects.
    Wouldnt consider doing it long term though.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d be riding to my office, 42 miles away.. annoying though I have a big heavy computer and I’d want to use my road bike which means computer in backpack. Perhaps if I can travel light enough otherwise it might work.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘60 mile commute’ is closed to new replies.